What do you think about the changes?

Simple Fan

First or Last
Now that everyone has seen the changes in effect, what do to think about them?

Do you like the segments? What are your thoughts on the new repair rule. Or are you going to wait and see how Atlanta goes before you can make a fair assessment of them?

Personally I think the stages went pretty well for the Cup race. Not so much for Trucks and Xfinity. Maybe just doing a halfway break for them would be better.

I also like the 5minute repair rule. It really puts a emphasis on having a good pit crew and keeps completely wrecked cars off the track. Wasn't any debris cautions and almost every car went on the repair clock at some point so I think it works.

Too early for me to say. But I do hope they learn to limit the segment caution times. Unless there is a wreck the caution segment should display on lap 60, lead lap cars pit on lap 61, others on 62 and back to green on lap 63.

They need to stop counting the laps and not call it a caution.

Agreed. Between the commercial time slot, pitting, and interviews a lot of time is killed. According to racing-reference today's segment cautions were 4 laps and 6 laps. That's not much, but given the fact that there's no cars to tow, no fluid to dry, and debris to pick up...it's a lot.

I think it would be silly to form an opinion on the new format and the new damage car policy with the first race being a plate race , I am going to wait and see how it plays out after a few races in on none plate tracks.

But with all that said, I think I might it liking it a lot more than I thought would.

My one complaint would be counting the laps between segments and I will be passing that on to the Fan Council( not that they listen to us) tonight when I take the 500 survey

Definitely thought people would want to wait and see what happens in Atlanta to get a better grasp of the segments. Daytona was a great place to access the repair rule though as I don't think it will be tested as much next week in Atlanta but we will see.

I like the segments so far, makes the plates races by far better, and doesn't make someone's whole race go to waste if something happens to them. Only change they could make with it is not counting the laps between segments.

I think the 5 minute rule is good so far, If you can't repair your car in 5 minutes, It has no business being on the track getting in other cars way

Last edited:
Almost everything is great about it. Need to get rid of counting laps between stages cautions.

I agree but don't really know what to do about it. I don't like running caution laps and not counting them towards the race distance and don't really think a red flag is the answer. Really think they should just drive through the stage flag and have NASCAR tally up the points on their own without stopping the field.

Since the race format changes were announced, I said that this would only "improve" the racing at plate tracks and everything else will look the same. Im sticking to that.

The cautions between segments with normal pit stop rules create more / new strategy options. I believe we'll see that everywhere.

It's hard to deny the added intensity... it's been quite a while since I've seen posters guardedly endorsing any changes made by the sanctioning body.

Completely agree that the caution periods between segments were too long today.

The stages are just another name for a caution clock. That's why they count the laps between stages.

The cautions between segments with normal pit stop rules create more / new strategy options. I believe we'll see that everywhere.

It's hard to deny the added intensity... it's been quite a while since I've seen posters guardedly endorsing any changes made by the sanctioning body.

I have no problem praising changes when they're good, and for the most part I like the segments. Like many others, my only issue is the way the breaks between segments were handled. Either don't count the caution laps or tighten them up. No reason they need to ride around for 15-20 minutes between segments.

Might be in the minority but I hate the 5 minute rule, I just felt that over the course of the weekend you had even more damaged cars out there as teams hurried to get repairs done in the sanctioned time. As for the stages I promised I would give it the first 6-8 races to make a decision. I do think I like the playoff points, adds some semblance of season long performance.

Perhaps I should wait until Atlanta, but I'm content with the changes so far.

I'm glad segments end as cars race across the finish line. Before this race, I was worried it would be like the All-Star race where NASCAR would throw a caution to freeze the field at some point on the lap the segment was supposed to end.

Unlike the caution clock in Trucks last year, I'm glad segments are long enough to allow for green flag pit stops.

I gotta say I'm liking the changes. It will improve most races not just RP races. Too soon to make an opinion on the changes at short tracks but I'm guessing much the same as today but I'm doubting they will have as much impact. I liked it.

I have no problem praising changes when they're good, and for the most part I like the segments. Like many others, my only issue is the way the breaks between segments were handled. Either don't count the caution laps or tighten them up. No reason they need to ride around for 15-20 minutes between segments.
If my understanding of the reason's behind the segment breaks was to help aide FOX/NBC with inserting the commercial breaks during those periods to provide more green flag coverage. But what we witnessed today, FOX was not made aware of that :D

If today was any indication of how FOX is going to handle the commercial loads for their portion ,NASCAR might as well shorten the time between the segments, no need to waste all that time.

Its refreshing to see it IMO

Too early for me to say. But I do hope they learn to limit the segment caution times. Unless there is a wreck the caution segment should display on lap 60, lead lap cars pit on lap 61, others on 62 and back to green on lap 63.
That's it ! Seems easy enough. Really my only beef . Hopefully it will improve.

My first opinion is positive but I want to see a few more races (i.e. ones at non-plate tracks) before making a final opinion. By the way, anyone who complained about the chase format is officially not allowed to complain about the new changes.:)
I don't think that the complaints about the chase format and these changes are the same. The chase is still a joke as far as I am concerned. The awarding points for the stages helped,maybe a little too much, on the effort to get to the front. I would agree on not counting the caution laps between segment also. I don't like the repair unless they let you use repair panels to get the job done.

So far I'm liking the changes except for how long they're taking in between segments. As others have mentioned, the caution shouldn't last more than 3-4 laps. I'd prefer they not count laps at all, but it's not a big deal for me either way on that issue.

I really like the points. I think there's a couple tweaks they could make, but overall it puts a much bigger emphasis on season long performance in a way that we haven't seen since 2003. I actually didn't hate the original Chase aside from when they started letting 16 drivers in. The 2014-2016 format was completely awful because it was way too easy to have someone luck into a championship. Now whoever is first in points will have a huge advantage over 16th place and it will be nearly impossible for someone in those last few spots to win the championship.

Aside from my favorite driver Jeff Gordon nearly winning in 2014, the 2014-2016 format really lessened my interest in the sport and eventually I'd probably be down to watching just a few races per year. I will say that going back to the 2003 format is the most desirable option for me, but this is a good substitute considering the 2003 format is not ever going to return.

I haven't been this excited for quite a number of years and I'm really looking forward to rooting for Blaney, Larson, and Elliott this year.

Too early to tell, but from what I saw this weekend I surprisingly enjoyed the segment format. This seems like a great format for restrictor plate racing (with some minor tweaks) and it seems like a perfect fit overall for the Truck & Xfinity series.

I still think segment racing should stay out of Cup. Keep the premier series an endurance series.

I still think segment racing should stay out of Cup. Keep the premier series an endurance series.
The Cup races havent been shorten , it is still an endurance series, the 500 had two 60 lap segments, and one 80 lap segment, which is 200 laps which is 500 miles.

Sorry, another failed gimmick. The repair clock is a good one I might add although I will miss seeing the repaired modifieds out on the track.

Since the Daytona 500 with the new rules and everyone taking chances to win segments,if Jr. will call it quits.That was a crash fest yesterday,it was a question of who survived at the end.With the money Jr. has and his new wife,I question if the risk is worth the reward.

Only being able to really base the changes on the one race weekend. I liked them.

It was obvious as the stages were coming to a close the racing heated up. I liked that. Will that kind of intensity be able to be equaled in non restrictor plate racing? Doubtful to the same extent.

5 minute clock..... They are all under the same rule when it comes to that so I think it's a wash.

Why throw a caution at the end of a segment? Gatorade sponsored the halfway challenge leader and at the halfway point got 10k IIRC. Why count those laps as part of the racing distance when obviously they're not.
Only reason to throw a caution is to bunch up the field and let the carnage begin. it eliminates the riding around for lap upon lap.
Seems nascrap is doing everything it can to PO real fans in order to attract new, younger fans who don't give a poop........

If I want to see a demo derby I go to my local track,not Daytona

The break between stages seems to drag on forever, but this was intended from the beginning to accommodate TWO commercial breaks, and between them we get pit stops and the highly-anticipated driver interview. So I don't think we'll see that get tightened up.

I'd be OK with that if we truly avoid having as many commercial breaks during green flag running. I'm sure there will be analysis of that coming soon, but I'm not optimistic.

I will wait to form an opinion but for the most part the racing seemed the same as any other year. I didn't see anyone risking life and limb for stage points or any unusual dumbass attacks. There must have been a lot of time between stages as the FF button was deployed longer than usual.

Back
Top Bottom