What do you think of Jimme Johnson?

I remember growing up during his reign of terror and couldnt stand him. Looking back I'm grateful I was a fan during the most dominant run of the modern era and getting to watch him win 7 championships. I'd love to see him have a stellar last year and I would be okay with him winning an 8th.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I feel the exact same way as every word you said here. Except the, Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk. I have no idea what in the hell a Tapatalk is.

Given the fact that's Chad Knaus's penchant for rule breaking has taken on an urban legend life of its own (I'll contend he's been caught less often than some of his contemporaries ) and the fact that with every new season it has become more and more difficult to get away with things, and the potential for gains have gotten so much smaller, I'll go out on a limb and say out of ALL the drivers that have 60+ wins, Jimmie probably has won the FEWEST races in cheated up cars. Now granted, this is based on the fact that no car that has ever won a race was 100% legal, and I'm drawing a distinction between normal garden variety cheating and blatant cheating.
It's not just in racing. In every major Pro sport, people do what they can to get a competitive edge. It's easier to hate the one winning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s weird how a seven-time champ can be underrated but he managed it. Extra credit for managing not to be an ass-hat like some of his most fierce competitors.

One of the all-timers who stunted the careers of some very good drivers, which at times just turbo-charged their ass-hattery.
Stunted the careers of other all time talents, that's why imo Jimmie is the GOAT, because he did it all against 3 of the 10 greatest ever in Stewart, Gordon and stunted the careers of Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch who has top 6 potential. That's why Kyle can never surpass Jimmie unless he wins 8 titles. No one could compete with him at his best. 07 and 08 were so impressive given the competition. No one in history was stopping Jimmie during 07-10.

There is no NASCAR GOAT.
There are all-around best drivers in a given time period.
Jimmie’s time is over.
Records for some athletes are goals for others.
Dale has 7 championships, too.

There's no doubt he's an amazing driver and one of the greatest ever in that regard but I feel he really ushered in the standard of vanilla boring corporate drivers. All these younger drivers are so damn boring and not the least bit marketable.

I'm not saying we need WWE style promos and fights every race but this sport definitely needs more characters and different personalities.

There's no doubt he's an amazing driver and one of the greatest ever in that regard but I feel he really ushered in the standard of vanilla boring corporate drivers. All these younger drivers are so damn boring and not the least bit marketable.

I'm not saying we need WWE style promos and fights every race but this sport definitely needs more characters and different personalities.
I think tasteful personalities have evolved and I think drivers with social media presence will pull in fans. Kyle's racing persona is WWE like with his villainy, and guess what? Outside of racing fans, and his fans, he's a joke! I had a gathering for the Daytona 500, some casuals and non fans. My friend and my girlfriend had more fun laughing at him and making fun of him than acknowledging, or caring about his talent. It was disappointing. While Vanilla certainly won't do it, I don't think cartoonish personalities like Waltrip and KB will bring in fans.

FWIW, Barstool Sports out of Boston has aligned with NASCAR, it's creator became a fan and is doing a weekly podcast with Clint Bowyer. Media presence and social justice is bigger than personality these days. If Chase Elliot publically donated to charities and spoke up about modern social issues, we'd have a lot of new fans. But drivers aren't that inauthentic

I think tasteful personalities have evolved and I think drivers with social media presence will pull in fans. Kyle's racing persona is WWE like with his villainy, and guess what? Outside of racing fans, and his fans, he's a joke! I had a gathering for the Daytona 500, some casuals and non fans. My friend and my girlfriend had more fun laughing at him and making fun of him than acknowledging, or caring about his talent. It was disappointing. While Vanilla certainly won't do it, I don't think cartoonish personalities like Waltrip and KB will bring in fans.

FWIW, Barstool Sports out of Boston has aligned with NASCAR, it's creator became a fan and is doing a weekly podcast with Clint Bowyer. Media presence and social justice is bigger than personality these days. If Chase Elliot publically donated to charities and spoke up about modern social issues, we'd have a lot of new fans. But drivers aren't that inauthentic

I don't mean that we need more Kyle Buschs out there and Waltrip needed to be fired years ago. Kyle Busch being a joke outside of racing fans and his fans is whatever since most non racing fans think NASCAR is a joke to begin with anyway. I live in NYC and I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same old racing is boring, it takes no talent to turn left, left, left bs nonsense. NASCAR is never going to be a major mainstream sport like it once was. That is what is is.

I mean that we need more drivers who don't go gee wheez we sure did swell out there today in our 10th place finish and I'd like to thank sponser, sponsor, sponsor, sponsor, sponsor, grab a coke and turn the label to camera and take a swig, sponsor, sponsor.

Everyone feels like a corporate robot and it's gotten to the point that I basically skip every single interview because barely anyone has anything meaningful to say anymore.

Chase Elliot donating money to whatever might get him more followers on social media but those people aren't going to start magically giving a crap about racing because he wrote a blank check.

I still enjoy the racing and I think on track wise it's been great lately but all these up and coming drivers in the trucks and xfinity series might as well be clones of the same person. I personally hate it.

Last edited:
I don't mean that we need more Kyle Buschs out there and Waltrip needed to be fired years ago. Kyle Busch being a joke outside of racing fans and his fans is whatever since most non racing fans think NASCAR is a joke to begin with anyway. I live in NYC and I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same old racing is boring, it takes no talent to turn left, left, left bs nonsense. NASCAR is never going to be a major mainstream sport like it once was. That is what is is.

I mean that we need more drivers who don't go gee wheez we sure did swell out there today in our 10th place finish and I'd like to thank sponser, sponsor, sponsor, sponsor, sponsor, grab a coke and turn the label to camera and take a swig, sponsor, sponsor.

Everyone feels like a corporate robot and it's gotten to the point that I basically skip every single interview because barely anyone has anything meaningful to say anymore.

Chase Elliot donating money to whatever might get him more followers on social media but those people aren't going to start magically giving a crap about racing because he wrote a blank check.

I still enjoy the racing and I think on track wise it's been great lately but all these up and coming drivers in the trucks and xfinity series might as well be clones of the same person. I personally hate it.
I do agree that the drivers are more boring than they have been. But I also feel that at the end of the day, we are here for the racing. Jimmie Johnson used to have personality prior to his Championships. Not sure if you remember. But back when he was in his late twenties, he was an arrogant firey **** who thought his **** didn't stink. Which shows that this cooperate persona he and other drivers wear may be a mask. I can't imagine all these drivers are this vanilla.

I also may have to redact my statement about over the top personalities. Look at the NBA. The game is an absolute circus show. The players are absolute clowns and are the biggest divas in all of sports. My God is it entertaining.

I do agree that the drivers are more boring than they have been. But I also feel that at the end of the day, we are here for the racing. Jimmie Johnson used to have personality prior to his Championships. Not sure if you remember. But back when he was in his late twenties, he was an arrogant firey **** who thought his **** didn't stink. Which shows that this cooperate persona he and other drivers wear may be a mask. I can't imagine all these drivers are this vanilla.

I also may have to redact my statement about over the top personalities. Look at the NBA. The game is an absolute circus show. The players are absolute clowns and are the biggest divas in all of sports. My God is it entertaining.

Yep and one has to understand that Nascar teams have to pay their way and sponsors are a large part in making that happen. Probably won't help, but that is the way it is. Most of the NBA players are broke within 4 or 5 years after they are used up.

What were your casual and non-fan friends laughing about and why were they making fun of KB?

People making fun of Kyle Busch, 2 time champ and best in the business? Shows they are uninformed, Kyle is worth the price of a ticket and he’s one of the best talent wise to drive a stock car (in this fan’s opinion). And if they were making fun of his “heel persona”? Go ahead that’s what he probably wants, people notice him and when people notice he cashes the checks. Go ahead and boo or laugh, Kyle will just keep getting paid.

I wasn't a fan when he started to beat Gordon on a regular basis, and he was doing it with the same equipment. But his accomplishments changed my opinion of him. He has represented the sport very well and he is among a group of drivers I like. It is always tough when a top driver starts a long non-winning steak marking the end of a career. I link him to Gorden; aside from the Hendrick connection, the two of them were part of an part of a three man team that won the International Race of Champions in Europe (2002). He has one last challenge, Gordon won a race during his last year - can Johnson match that.

I really enjoyed seeing Jimmie Johnson come up short today in his last appearance at Fontana.

What were your casual and non-fan friends laughing about and why were they making fun of KB?
They were laughing at his general attitude. Saying he was acting like a baby, and it was comedic. But my girlfriend did admit that it would less fun without him

They were laughing at his general attitude. Saying he was acting like a baby, and it was comedic. But my girlfriend did admit that it would less fun without him

Sometimes when he goes full on Barney Fife it's gold. :D

iu

Apparently Flavor Flave is out of work.

Can he drive a stick?

Sometimes when he goes full on Barney Fife it's gold. :D

iu
I've said this so many times, but the ONLY reason I root against Kyle is because his fans are insufferable and amongst the worst in sports in my opinion. Lol. Outside of them, I find him entertaining and the funniest driver we have had.

I loved watching my girl, and my non-fan friends ask questions and finding amusement from Kyle's shenanigans simply because he can be used as a way to engage them with the NASCAR community. A good buddy of mine who isnt a fan, but will watch a race got a huge kick out of the Kyle Busch compilations on YouTube. Kyle is good for the sport. He's an arrogant entitled kid still, but he's good for the sport. That's why I don't have an issue with the Kyle Busch "bounty". It's good for the series.

I've said this so many times, but the ONLY reason I root against Kyle is because his fans are insufferable and amongst the worst in sports in my opinion. Lol. Outside of them, I find him entertaining and the funniest driver we have had.

I loved watching my girl, and my non-fan friends ask questions and finding amusement from Kyle's shenanigans simply because he can be used as a way to engage them with the NASCAR community. A good buddy of mine who isnt a fan, but will watch a race got a huge kick out of the Kyle Busch compilations on YouTube. Kyle is good for the sport. He's an arrogant entitled kid still, but he's good for the sport. That's why I don't have an issue with the Kyle Busch "bounty". It's good for the series.

Yes, you have.

I’m a KB fan. Whether or not I’m insufferable and exist among the worst fans in sports is a matter of conjecture.

I love to watch him race his cars. He’s very good at that as evidenced by his performance last Sunday. This is, after all, a forum focused on NASCAR racing. That said, I do understand the need felt by many to vilify the guy but as you correctly point out, he sells tickets.

On topic, I’m pretty impressed with how feisty Jimmie Johnson is.

That boy still wants it.

I'm surprised "Wheels" hasn't been brought up, a mere 35 million. I guess he should have named it "I'm blowing Johnson's chances"

wp01d170ff_0a_06.jpg

He wrecked Jimmie's plane awhile back. That might have done it

View attachment 44023
View attachment 44024
The plane is registered to Jimmie Johnson Racing Inc. of Charlotte, N.C., and co-owned by Hendrick Motorsports and Johnson, the five-time defending NASCAR Sprint Cup champion

https://www.1800yachtcharters.com/rick-hendrick-superyacht-and-nascar-owner-injured-in-plane-crash/
5 time? So that was a while back

Johnson has been showing some speed this year. I think he's still pretty young, I'll be sad to see him go. He could easily race 5 more years.

Should be since Gordon, no? Dale was outdone by Gordon in the late 90s and Gordon was outdone by Jimmie etc.
Gordon is not on the track and he comes shy of the 7 Championships JJ has don't you think?

Johnson has been showing some speed this year. I think he's still pretty young, I'll be sad to see him go. He could easily race 5 more years.

Honestly kinda surprised he didn't use COVID as an excuse to unretire.

Should be since Gordon, no? Dale was outdone by Gordon in the late 90s and Gordon was outdone by Jimmie etc.
Yet Gordon’s “fall off” was never as bad as Jimmie’s and Gordon was still a threat to win week in and week out while he “wasnt winning as much” and Jimmie was using the updated points system to catch back up when everyone was zeroed out.

Jimmie and the #48 team was the best at being opportunistic. Jeff and the #24 team was the best at performing at a high level on a consistent basis.

Yet Gordon’s “fall off” was never as bad as Jimmie’s and Gordon was still a threat to win week in and week out while he “wasnt winning as much” and Jimmie was using the updated points system to catch back up when everyone was zeroed out.

Jimmie and the #48 team was the best at being opportunistic. Jeff and the #24 team was the best at performing at a high level on a consistent basis.

I don’t disagree. I think most people now see and appreciate what Gordon did when he was still on the track.

Outside of NASCAR’s own manipulation with the system every few years there is no doubt he’d have more in the ways of championships. But I hardly blame Jimmie for taking advantage of it.

to @Pat point about not reaching #7, it’s not always about who has more championships. Longevity and relevance counts more in my opinion.

All it takes it’s 1 title to become a champion for life after all. Mark Martin was my favorite driver not to win one but I still consider him very elite.

it’s not always about who has more championships. Longevity and relevance counts more in my opinion.
I'm not saying Gordon doesn't go down as one of the greatest. His presence in Nascar lifted up, but I still got to say JJ's Championships place him higher on the scales.

Back
Top Bottom