What do you think of Jimme Johnson?

I'm talking about the number of wins that they've earned head-to-head as team-mates, dude. Not career wise.
Jeff was already a decade into his career at that point. Different peaks. It’s not a talent indicator.

What do I think of Jimmie? I think one of the ****tiest cars in NASCAR history has screwed him out of a couple of productive years. He is now part of the conversation because Chevy engineers got their heads out of their asses after watching what Toyota did engineering-wise the last couple of years. Jimmie is a great Champion, and Chevy owes him an apology.

I think he and His team are the current GOAT. He’s on the backside of the greatest run in NASCAR history given the competition level he faced and the levels Earnhardt and Petty faced.

Reactions: Pat
Jimmie is a bonafide GOAT, Jeff is a bonafide GOAT, both will be mentioned with the greatest to have ever climbed into a stock car.

What do I think of Jimmie? I think one of the ****tiest cars in NASCAR history has screwed him out of a couple of productive years. He is now part of the conversation because Chevy engineers got their heads out of their asses after watching what Toyota did engineering-wise the last couple of years. Jimmie is a great Champion, and Chevy owes him an apology.
Incorrect.

The whole time Jimmie was struggling, his teammate in the #9 car was successful.

Jimmie has said on several occasions that these new packages that focus on momentum instead of throttle control is a complete antithesis to how he learned to drive. He’s had to evolve his driving style.

Nobody owes Jimmie an apology.

Lol wot? Rusty was retired when Jimmie won his first championship.
Was he not in the sport and among those running near the top when Jimmie entered the scene?

Jimmie took the mantle of being the best from them all. He won seven titles in an era of NASCAR where the level of competition was probably higher than it had ever been as opposed to previous decades and I think that is enough of a testament to the man's driving ability. This is my last post on this subject because I already know the outcome is that you and other members aren't going to see it the way I'm seeing it and that's perfectly fine with me. I'm not going to go back and forth trying to poke holes in each other's logic and twist other people's words when there are at least five drivers who are arguably the one and only GOAT. I just happen to be one of those who believes 48 earned that status. So sue me.

Last edited:
So we are back to attributing Jimmie's success to his car and team. I thought this reaction ended 10 years ago. What is it with trying to deny Jimmie's talent?
LMAO. I really love the irony of @jaqua19 protesting against this ridiculous argument that Chad Knaus really won all those races... because he repeatedly cites the exact same tired old trope regarding Martin Truex's elite performance over an extended period of time. So funny.

He's been my favorite driver ever since he went on that 5 championship in a row tear. I really want him to finish off his NASCAR career with an 8th championship, but we'll just have to wait and see.

LMAO. I really love the irony of @jaqua19 protesting against this ridiculous argument that Chad Knaus really won all those races... because he repeatedly cites the exact same tired old trope regarding Martin Truex's elite performance over an extended period of time. So funny.
If you can't see the different circumstances, that's on you bubba.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He's been my favorite driver ever since he went on that 5 championship in a row tear. I really want him to finish off his NASCAR career with an 8th championship, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Ain't happenin imo. I think he's got a few wins and a round of 8 in him though.

Of all of the NASCAR drivers I have liked and supported over the last forty years, I think Jimmie is the one I would MOST like to just sit around with, drink some beers and shoot the bull. He just has an easy going, comfortable in his own skin way about him that appeals to me. He seems to have a sense of awareness of his accomplishments without having to remind you about it every second. As much as a fan of Jeff Gordon as I was, (and still am, except on TV) Jimmie is more my kind of person. Harry Gant would be the next guy on my list, but I don't know that he would say a whole lot.

Are you saying you didn’t pull for him until he was at the top of the sport?

Jimmie has been the perfect “corporate” driver in NASCAR. He was a dream for Lowes, a great spokesman and a winner. 7 time Champ, can’t mention Jimmie and not say that. Alchemy, skill, and luck combined to a GOAT career. I think his public image is just that, for the public. IRL I imagine he’s more opinionated, ornery, and just plain fun than any of us will know firsthand. And good for him, at the end of the season he’ll retire with a future HOF nomination, an impressive net worth, and most importantly his health.

I hope he steers clear of testing indy cars honestly.

Aside from that, This guy is an amazing talent and I have nothing but respect for him.

Last edited:
FOX Sports is doing written pieces again.

“I’ve really never been driven by statistics,” Johnson said. “And I had this mind-opening experience of like, ‘Holy s---, I can really do whatever I want to. So why not?

“You build some momentum in that line of thought, all my heroes growing up, very few raced for championship points. They all hit the big, marquee events. Why couldn’t I do that? Why couldn’t I dream up a 15-race schedule that’s the most badass schedule that would make every driver envious and jealous?

“Why don’t I go do that? Is it money? I’m good there. Is it stats? I’m good there, too. Why not chase this dream situation? That’s where I sit.”

FOX Sports is doing written pieces again.

So Jimmie wants to go run big races across other series, eh? Jimmie used to look like he was fighting back tears after blowing a race win..now, he doesn't give a ****. Some people were right. Jimmie is just logging laps. If it turns into a win or not, I don't think he cares.

Aw hell, JJ on twitter shows he and the family trout fishing up in Colorado in the cool. So he flys into Kansas, runs the race and is back in Colorado by midnight. He's hanging with the fam and watching his girls grow. He has spent years busting his ass to get there. Ain't nobody on the horizon who can match his record. I never was a huge fan, but I do respect him. What a run.

I forgot he was testing an Indy Car today or was it tomorrow? The more I think about it the more I am not sure this Indy Car excursion is going to be anything well for him. If he has a loss of reflexes driving a stock car like some on here have speculated I dont see how he will be able to drive an Indy Car

Wow. Anyone read his interview? The fire to race and win is still there, but not in a cup car.

Frankly, it seems like he cares more about running an Indy car race than making the playoffs. Jimmie has earned the right to do what he wants, but man, he's probably riding around in the 48 daydreaming about Indycars.

Wow. Anyone read his interview? The fire to race and win is still there, but not in a cup car.

Frankly, it seems like he cares more about running an Indy car race than making the playoffs. Jimmie has earned the right to do what he wants, but man, he's probably riding around in the 48 daydreaming about Indycars.

I hope that’s the case, and he does awesome in this endeavor. Also will be holding out for him to enter a Indy 500. Call me crazy but maybe this will rejuvenate him.

Like just about anybody that has had the same job for over 20 years, having a chance to learn something different is an exciting thing. I do hope he gets an opportunity in that direction. Personally I think the competition level in Indycar right now being the way it is, Johnson in a short time could be winning races. The car is quite a bit safer now that you don't have to worry as much about getting your head ripped off if you flip it or go into the fence.

I bet he would boost interest in Indycar, similar to Alonzo. I guarantee if Penske would have been running the show at Indy Alonzo would have raced. That was stupid and an example of the years of stupid that track has endured.

I hope he can finish the season strong before he leaves. Happy for him, but I just can't get into Indycar racing.

Probably can't wait for it to be over with, tbh. Hopefully bag a win on the way out.

I think Cup became a style of racing that was no longer enjoyable to him, naturally lost some passion for it, justifiably. Can't blame him, I would too.

If he had been winning, the package becomes easier to stomach. See: Harvick.

The challenge of an Indycar is what fires him up now. I fully expect him to dabble in other forms racing, do all the athletic adventures, hang back enjoy life enjoy fam. No reason to pull his hair out over NASCAR anymore, there's nothing left to prove, he's 7-time.

The only question I’ve had since 2019 season, is ‘How many more wins Jimmie Johnson would have if he and Chad stayed together?’

I realize they probably needed something different, I can understand that fully. But one has to wonder if they both could have went to the winners circle together another time or two.

The only question I’ve had since 2019 season, is ‘How many more wins Jimmie Johnson would have if he and Chad stayed together?’

I realize they probably needed something different, I can understand that fully. But one has to wonder if they both could have went to the winners circle together another time or two.
‘To infinity and beyond!’ Buzz Lightyear tops list of ...

JJ's comment right after Carl made his announcement to retire was revealing. Somehow I believe that JJ would have liked to have done the same thing.

Quite sure that financial commitments might have obscured those thoughts. Jimmy's outside interests have grown in the last couple of years, cannot help that also is not an influence.

As far as performance...well....Hendrick is not the dominant force it once was.

Back
Top Bottom