What do you think of Jimme Johnson?

JJ's comment right after Carl made his announcement to retire was revealing. Somehow I believe that JJ would have liked to have done the same thing.

Quite sure that financial commitments might have obscured those thoughts. Jimmy's outside interests have grown in the last couple of years, cannot help that also is not an influence.

As far as performance...well....Hendrick is not the dominant force it once was.
What was his comment?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm sure everybody dreams of just suddenly dropping the mic and walking away, but in the reality of modern racing, unless there is some REAL mitigating circumstances, it's a major dick move. It puts team, crew members and sponsors in a real tough position, and unless they have done something to specifically deserve that kind of treatment, I think it REALLY stinks. I would LIKE to think that Jimmie has more respect for the people that have helped get him where he is to have tried something like that.

I'm sure everybody dreams of just suddenly dropping the mic and walking away, but in the reality of modern racing, unless there is some REAL mitigating circumstances, it's a major dick move. It puts team, crew members and sponsors in a real tough position, and unless they have done something to specifically deserve that kind of treatment, I think it REALLY stinks. I would LIKE to think that Jimmie has more respect for the people that have helped get him where he is to have tried something like that.
I can't fault Carl for what he did. We don't know the circumstances of him walking away. But it's his right as a person to assert himself if he feels as if he's crossing his own boundaries. It's unfortunate that it affects other people, especially in the working world. It isn't fair and it can be interpreted as a slap in the face. That said, if someone feels they are at their limit, they have every right to walk away on their on terms, for their own sake and happiness, regardless of how it affects coworkers, friends, etc. I wish Carl didn't walk away, and a part of me resents him for doing so.

On the other hand, I appreciate and admire him for having the self-respect to take responsibility for a decision, without providing an acceptable reason, and accept that some people may not like it. That is textbook bill of assertive rights 101.

Reactions: Pat
I just feel that if you sign a contract, you do everything possible to live up to it. I know that's an old fashioned fuddy duddy way of looking at things, but that's just the way I am. Maybe Carl DID have a valid reason for leaving, but since he hasn't shared one with us, I'll just have to go on assuming he didn't. You can't leave people in the dark and then expect them to understand your actions.

Respectfully, I doubt that Carl Edwards cares if other people don't understand his actions.
Yep. The reasons Carl stated for his retirement seem "acceptable" to me. I didn't feel "left in the dark" at all. And the hoards of people dreaming up all sorts of conspiracy theories have been endlessly amusing as well.

I've never been a big fan of his, but I greatly respect his quiet and persistent leadership in advocating for Nascar to adopt a low downforce philosophy that emphasized driver skill. Among all the drivers, he was the key guy pushing Brian France to move that way. He retired before his dream was fully realized, but 2017 and 2018 were among the greatest years *ever* for Nascar racing... at least to those of us who value driving skill above all.

Respectfully, I doubt that Carl Edwards cares if other people don't understand his actions.

I doubt he does either, all I'm saying is that he would have no reason to bitch if I call him out for leaving his team high and dry and not honoring his commitments......

I just feel that if you sign a contract, you do everything possible to live up to it. I know that's an old fashioned fuddy duddy way of looking at things, but that's just the way I am. Maybe Carl DID have a valid reason for leaving, but since he hasn't shared one with us, I'll just have to go on assuming he didn't. You can't leave people in the dark and then expect them to understand your actions.
I hear you. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong way to handle such a situation. JGR employees have plenty of reasons to feel betrayed, angry, or disrespected, as do fans. I just don't think it's inherently disrespectful.

I doubt he does either, all I'm saying is that he would have no reason to bitch if I call him out for leaving his team high and dry and not honoring his commitments......
And I don't think he would in this case. I think he would handle it in a similar manner as anyone who has made such a decision.

"I get why you feel that way. I did abandon you guys, and I'm sorry. It isn't personal, and I made a decision that was best for me. I'm sorry it came at your expense".

We've all left jobs, right? Part of embracing any major change that involves people is accepting that people will be hurt, or won't understand your logic. And there's nothing you can do about it. And you have to be okay with that. I think Carl was. That's security within yourself..something that I think Carl lacked through out his career.

I just feel that if you sign a contract, you do everything possible to live up to it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but was not Carl's contract going into an option year? Believe both sides had an opening.

As far as being "old fashion" last time I looked an employer can fire at a moments notice, but for an employee to fire the employer is different?

Have to give Edwards kudos though. Because of what he did, he gave Kenseth another win the following year. Can guarantee that JGR would have pulled the 20 out from under Kenseth in the off season if Edwards did not do what he did. He made JGR a tad more honest.

It MAY have been an option year, I don't remember, but when you pull the pin a month before the season starts, that's tough. If JGR had fired Carl, they still would have had to pay him. Also, 99% of us are not as critical to our employer as a star driver is to a race team. It's not like the car chief left. It is what it is, but it's just not the way I like to do business.

Did you read his contract? For all we know he did honor his commitments as per the agreement he had in place. What he did didn't trigger any law suits. Besides we also don't know what shenanigans JGR were up to during the off season. I tend to think changes that
were going to be made probably triggered his departure.

Do you REALLY think JGR had a contract clause that stipulated one of their star drivers could just bolt a month before the season starts? He just flat out quit and there was little that JGR was going to do about it that wouldn't be an even bigger PR disaster than what goes on over there anyway. Even if he HAD a "out at any time clause", he couldn't have picked a much worse time to do it.

I don’t know what to make of his ambitions about 12-13 indy car races...

That is a helluva machine to jump into after all that he’s done... I guess I’m a bit surprised hearing him mention that

View at your own discretion. Pretty cool what 7x did for the throwback.
d16bdcdecfc924dfe02cd515d3405aad.jpg

Anyone know, Is this Johnson’s new primary scheme?... Or is this still being used as a ‘special’

It looks great

Very excited for this. He's going to be North America's version of Fernando Alonso. I am also intrigued as to who he will be running his select Cup races with, sounds like Chip from the article here.

Very excited for this. He's going to be North America's version of Fernando Alonso. I am also intrigued as to who he will be running his select Cup races with, sounds like Chip from the article here.
I think a few years ago this would be exciting news. Given his recent performance, I am not quite as intrigued.

I wouldn’t want to touch an indy car if I was still 21, much less if I’m 44 years old. I guess that’s what racers want to do though.

Hope he has the success and experiences he desires over there.

Does anyone except Edwards and his family know the real reason he left? I don't think so. We know what he's stated publicly but that may or may not be what it was all about. Noting that he hasn't been back it should tell everyone that he left on his own terms and he is content in the way he left. I admire him for the way he left. He walk away when he knew it was the right time to do it. He did what was right for him, his health, and his family. I respect that.

Questions
If he sucks in the Indy car, will they say Indy car drivers are better drivers
If he dominates will they say NASCAR drivers are better
Been waiting for a NASCAR driver to run more than just one race
Hope he does well

Back
Top Bottom