What Do you Think of the New Package?

Kyle has been correct on this issue since day one. Pearn is right. Others that aren't in the Toyota fold and are speaking out are as well. This has nothing to do with hater-ism, they are just as invested in the sport as the cheerleaders and go-alongers. I'm surprised this is the one issue you're not really backing your boy on.

Who said I didn't back Kyle? Not sure I have an opinion. I trust what he says, but I do know that whatever they throw at him, he will win. I can't lose.

Interesting article on the package so far.
https://www.frontstretch.com/2019/03/24/pace-laps-nascar-experiences-martinsville-monotony/

Even though the 2 team had them covered in Martinsville, the close racing kept my interest and glued to the tv. Did very little channel surfing and napping.

I think the package got overhyped again. Engineers are just too smart. I remember a couple years ago how Atlanta was going to have lots of pack racing with the new aero kit. I was kind of excited. Nope, we got the same ol same ol. Spread out cruise control racing. It seems like the "worn out" track is bringing more to the party than any "new" areo package could.

kinda o/t but it is about the new rules package for qualifying. Kez has an idea, I kinda like it

NASCAR qualifying debate rages on ahead of Texas
Brad Keselowski: “I would just pull off the restrictor plates and let them go run for it, and then we wouldn’t have any of this. I’d empty out the grandstands and make everybody go on the infield at all the tracks, and we’d put on a hell of a show. That’s what I would do. Then you wouldn’t see any of this drafting nonsense and you’d see cars going 215, 220 miles an hour — just for one lap but I think it’d be awesome. That’d get rid of all the shenanigans and we’d go back to setting track records and doing all kinds of crazy awesome stuff. At least for one lap.”
https://racer.com/2019/03/25/nascar-qualifying-debate-rages-on-ahead-of-texas/
All the profits come from TV money anyway. Just level the grandstands.

i cant wait till next year when they will use magnets to keep the field running in a pack.

I think it was David Ragan’s first race where he spun out so often Tony Stewart called him a dart without feathers. With the way the cars are glued to the track today I don’t think that scenario will repeat itself.

Hard to disagree with that article. Just to point out, there was a historic low at Martinsville of THREE, 3, #3 lead changes. Three. At a short track.

I heard a guy say he saw lots of quality passes on the leaderboard during the race:D

I would prefer the constant complainers do what most sane people do, find something else they enjoy. ;) They can't change a thing and constant whining about it is useless.

Kyle is well known for his setup ability's and good feedback, HMS appears to be lost. Look at the KBM trucks, I think that input from Kyle keeps them competitive. Even when HMS gets a car close to being right, they can't keep a hold on it for an entire race.
I think the issue is bigger than feedback.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think the issue is bigger than feedback.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Elliot seems to have somewhat of a handle on it and appears to be able to make the car better throughout a race. The 48 .. not so much

My point was that it was a big deal when a driver speaks his mind, but when a couple of experts do, NASCAR turns a blind eye....and so does this board for the most part. Carry on.
The drivers are the faces of the sport. I don't think it's any deeper than that. Didn't they fine Hamlin after his Gen-6 comments the second race at Phoenix '13?

Combined with the schedule changes, if they come to their senses and jettison the parachute off the back of the car, I may be in NASCAR heaven.

From what they have said they seem married to this style even with the next car. Luckily it is Nascar so there is a good chance they could change their minds. If this kind of racing helps the series to greater health I will support the decision.

From what they have said they seem married to this style even with the next car.
"they" have never said that with the Gen 7 car. Penske and Ganassi have been quoted in meetings touting a common chassis platform after the success a common chassis has had in IndyCar towards cutting expenses and not hurting the racing product.

Cornering speeds are higher.
the tires were junk.. again.

But in the short term, NASCAR hopefully will be leaning on Goodyear to construct a Martinsville tire that has more wear.
“We’ll look at everything, particularly tires and tire wear,” NASCAR senior vice president and chief racing development officer Steve O’Donnell said Monday on SiriusXM’s NASCAR channel. “There didn’t seem to be a lot of that in either (the truck or Cup) race, so we’ve got to go back and look at what’s happening, particularly at Martinsville. That’s a big component of that race and something we need to have going forward.”

the tires were junk.. again.

But in the short term, NASCAR hopefully will be leaning on Goodyear to construct a Martinsville tire that has more wear.
“We’ll look at everything, particularly tires and tire wear,” NASCAR senior vice president and chief racing development officer Steve O’Donnell said Monday on SiriusXM’s NASCAR channel. “There didn’t seem to be a lot of that in either (the truck or Cup) race, so we’ve got to go back and look at what’s happening, particularly at Martinsville. That’s a big component of that race and something we need to have going forward.”
What's happening is the tires are loading more in the corners. Don't know why Steve-O pulled out of his ass last year that Goodyear was going to bring softer tires with MORE downforce in 2019, and then after the fall tests Goodyear was like "Yeah, no." This was discussed over the offseason.

What's happening is the tires are loading more in the corners. Don't know why Steve-O pulled out of his ass last year that Goodyear was going to bring softer tires with MORE downforce in 2019, and then after the fall tests Goodyear was like "Yeah, no." This was discussed over the offseason.
doesn't make a hoot. The facts are the tires this year have mostly been junk with hardly any fall off. Anytime a team takes two and runs 60 laps on the other side it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the tires are rocks.

doesn't make a hoot. The facts are the tires this year have mostly been junk with hardly any fall off. Anytime a team takes two and runs 60 laps on the other side it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the tires are rocks.
They are rocks BECAUSE they need to sustain more load in the corners because we decided that we need more downforce in these things. How are they going to bring a softer tire running 10-15 MPH quicker in the middle of the corner without everyone having blowouts?

They are rocks BECAUSE they need to sustain more load in the corners because we decided that we need more downforce in these things. How are they going to bring a softer tire running 10-15 MPH quicker in the middle of the corner without everyone having blowouts?
not true. goodyear said the loads are similar, if you have been paying atention, for instance at Martinsville they are using a left side they have been running since 07, I have been posting the tire choices all year

not true. goodyear said the loads are similar
“Teams will be under a new rules package this week at Phoenix, with all the new aerodynamic elements, but with more horsepower than they’ve had over the past couple weeks,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s Director of Racing. “When we tested on this package at Phoenix last fall, teams were considerably faster than we’ve seen in recent years.

“With the extra downforce versus the 2018 rules package, much of that speed comes through the corners, which generates higher loading on the tires. Teams will need to be mindful of our recommended air pressures as they develop their set-ups to optimize grip. Running below our minimums can cause the sidewall of the tire to flex more and over-deflect, generating more heat, higher wear and fall-off, and even damaging the tire to the point of air loss. Finding that balance will be key.”
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...age-goodyear-selection-more-for-race-weekend/

I had not considered that but it makes perfect sense. It’s issues like this that demonstrate that Nascar needs to test properly prior to unleashing new rules.

At least they tested it before the cars hit the track for race weekend. This is the first of many changes I expect we’ll see.

They remind me of an alchemist ... trying to make gold out of something that isn't. One of these days, they will hit upon something magical, the perfect race will be the result . or not

They remind me of an alchemist ... trying to make gold out of something that isn't. One of these days, they will hit upon something magical, the perfect race will be the result . or not
At least alchemists agreed on what the finished product was supposed to be. It's hard to produce results when you haven't defined them, esp. if you can't define them in quantifiable terms.

At least alchemists agreed on what the finished product was supposed to be. It's hard to produce results when you haven't defined them, esp. if you can't define them in quantifiable terms.

I think Nascar not formulating plans properly and not testing things properly before implementation leaves them open for ridicule.

No one can forecast or test for every possibility but you sure can eliminate a lot of unforeseen problems. Most companies do a lot of research and testing before changing something and implementing some new. Nascar be like “hey bubba hold my beer”

Back
Top Bottom