What Do you Think of the New Package?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Speedbowl14, Feb 25, 2019.

1. AdoubleU24

AdoubleU24 Team Owner

Ok, so it's likely a very misleading stat then. Much like yards after contact in football.

2. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

The stats will continually show better results with this package, so that excuse can be used the whole year for the most part. Not all races will be that way, so the bring back 2018 ers can stay alive and vibrant for the rest of the season. Meanwhile 3 out of four races have shown an up tic in interest. :idunno:

3. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Interesting. I wonder how that breaks down between dedicated race fans and casual ones.

StandOnIt likes this.
  4. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

if ya went by this place? who knows. Probably will get a chart of something saying because the new moon was present in all of the higher ratings that is the cause, whereas 20 years ago it wasn't the case.

LewTheShoe and Charlie Spencer like this.
  5. Charlie Spencer

New moon.

:moon:

StandOnIt and LouieLouie like this.
  6. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

The only track where your box score changed significantly at was Las Vegas.

IanMcVittie likes this.
  7. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

Goodyear can but then everyone will be bitching when a half dozen cars have walled it by the middle of the first stage.

8. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

IDK about an uptick in interest as the ratings have been essentially flat over last year’s bloodbath and attendance has not been great. Take a look at the demographics too as that will help give the whole story.

9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

shocking :p

10. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

Other than the shocking attendance I think everything has been about how one would expect it to be in Nascar this year. Hopefully Bristol will get things turned around with solid attendance and lots of interest.......and a good race!

11. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I can't seem to get it right, attendance is shocking, or slashing or is the whole thing a bloodbath? :idunno: I thought it was racing not HBO. :p

12. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

13. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

And it goes from bloodbath to hopeful like a merry go round every week.o_O I'm hopeful they get a decent tire and soon. Goodyear went way overboard..or more like didn't do a thing. Glad some of the press are talking about it. Put some light on the tire boys, they are slacking.

14. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

eee ouch another one of those durn charts again
    [​IMG]

15. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

What it means is attendance isn’t great and it’s not improving. I typed as slow I could!

16. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

On the contrary as I heard Bristol covered up a bunch of seats so it could easily sell out. The Bristol spring race has to be good for 60k. It’s Bristol baby..,...the last great mausoleum!!!

17. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

Is this the one showing quality passes seen on the leaderboard?

18. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Raw passing stats are well known to be unreliable and wonky as a qualitative indicator. Do you have a good source or knowledge about how the 'quality passes' metric is calculated?

FLRacingFan likes this.
  19. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Hmmm this one had Green passes for the lead..IDK maybe that one can be sluffed off or ignored somehow. :idunno: I coulda sworn that is what they said they were trying to accomplish with the newer package.

20. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

I have have never lived in an area where the quality of a game or a race has been determined by completions, shots on goal, saves, tackles or sack or any other stat.

Joker likes this.
  21. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

what could be possibly wrong with all of these people?

Joker likes this.
  22. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

The spring races the last two years got 68/32 and 66/34 so the difference is negligible lol.

23. Revman

Revman Mods are Motivators.

You cannot quantify a good race. This is why Gluck's poll comes under fire.

StandOnIt likes this.
  24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

it's one of the reasons it is posted. entertainment. I can only imagine Gluck's teeth grinding when he had to post it was number one. He has been hating on the package all year. :p

Charlie Spencer and Revman like this.
  25. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

I think we’re on the Mark Twain thing again.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  26. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

Most professionals and most others that have worked in professional capacities don’t think that way. They aren’t personally involved like you are therefore they are just reporting on something and remain detached. We don’t hate things and we don’t take things personally.

Ventisca likes this.
  27. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

you obviously don't follow Jeff Gluck or many other twitter reporters. Thinking that today's social media press is non committal is a Pollyanna dream long gone

28. OldTimer

OldTimer Crew Chief

I want the cars at the edge of control...all the time. Want stock body packages without all the aero add on crap. Want tires to wear out...drivers to have the skill to accommodate.

Turtle84 likes this.
  29. ReturnTrip

ReturnTrip Team Owner

Any pre-stage numbers should be thrown out when making comparisons to today's numbers, imo. Those three planned cautions and restarts add a lot of ticks to the counter.

30. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

and all of the last minute GWC in years past didn't ?

31. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

I have no interest in Twitter and don’t know Gluck. Evidently you think he is not a pro and will be upset about people liking dumbed down racing. Professional people don’t have hissy fits or get mad over things like that.

32. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I am pretty sure 'quality' is simply those passes taking place within the Top 15.

IanMcVittie likes this.
  33. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Oh. Wow, yeah, that's scarcely more useful.

Far more than restarts, an extra green flag pit cycle produces many hundreds of green flag passes. This is just a general observation. I don't argue that stats determine or indicate the quality of racing.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  34. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Jackman

I don't know what is being counted or when, but more is more even if it doesn't mean much. For instance I like hearing that the 41 is improved over the 19 from last year. That means to me that Suarez made a 'good' switch for him. The 19 is doing worse than the 78 from last year and that means the switch was not as good for him. Passing stats for the 19 will improve as Pearn and Truex gel with the previously fractured team. Suarez went to a intact team and they too will improve as they get used to Daniel. Passes, finishes all point to the improvement, finishes are the big numbers, but little ones count and improve till the finishes reflect that. So I like passing stats, just a drop of unimportant info, but I like them.

35. Charlie Spencer

And I want an Oompa-Loompa. Neither of us are getting those things.

StandOnIt likes this.
  36. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Just listened to Dale JR download and Steve Phelps said they had 3400 passes for position compared to 1700 last year. Phelps mentioned that TV was focusing too much on the front of the field so hopefully FOX starts covering more of the mid-field battles.

37. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

38. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

A lot of it was getting the traction compound dialed in, but record numbers of passes for the lead was a significant part. What was KDB carping about before the race about hard to pass?

39. carolinabuff

carolinabuff Team Owner

Who cares about the package when we're racing on short tracks. KDB was able to win with this car:

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  40. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

We love loop data and I consulted it before making my mind up if I liked the race or not. I saw Kevin Harvick pass a lot of cars on the leaderboard today too.