What Do you Think of the New Package?

The specs for last years and this years are almost identical, but the race itself was more interesting to watch for me any way. Margin of victory was about the only significant difference. and the closer racing.

Time of race: 3:29:54
Average speed: 143.068 mph
Pole speed: 184.652 mph Cautions: 5 for 28 laps
Margin of victory: 2.690 sec
Attendance: n/a
Lead changes: 24

Time of race: 3:30:33
Average speed: 142.626 mph
Pole speed: 181.473 mph Cautions: 5 for 30 laps
Margin of victory: .218 sec
Lead changes: 26

The specs for last years and this years are almost identical, but the race itself was more interesting to watch for me any way. Margin of victory was about the only significant difference. and the closer racing.

Race felt the same to me, but that is a good thing because I was fine with last year's package. I do believe that there is some potential, however, in what NASCAR is doing, and I am optimistic that it will deliver what many are looking for----whatever that is.

We'll compare next week's races together maybe. First time with the full package, so far most people enjoyed the Atlanta race it looks like.

I know it's just one race but.. If more lead changes and a smaller margin of victory are what were in for I'm cool with that.

Then again as long as cars are on track I'm usually satisfied.

Here are some more numbers for comparison to recent Atlanta races. I don't watch races to count stats, so I'm not of the opinion that more "passes" always equals better racing. I liked the 2018 low downforce / high power racing a lot. I like this less. It is interesting to note how much more overall passing the 2015 and 2016 races produced, though the "quality passes" numbers are fairly consistent. That was a high power package with more downforce than 2017 and 2018. I'm not sure how the 2015 / 2016 downforce numbers compare to the 2019 package without the aero ducts.

2016 had a late race caution which was nice.
upload_2019-2-26_15-50-17.png

Here are some more numbers for comparison to recent Atlanta races. I don't watch races to count stats, so I'm not of the opinion that more "passes" always equals better racing. I liked the 2018 low downforce / high power racing a lot. I like this less. It is interesting to note how much more overall passing the 2015 and 2016 races produced, though the "quality passes" numbers are fairly consistent. That was a high power package with more downforce than 2017 and 2018. I'm not sure how the 2015 / 2016 downforce numbers compare to the 2019 package without the aero ducts.

Too bad they dont have 2014

The gen 6 car races the best with a ton of horsepower and a ton of downforce. See 2014.

Yes and they'll be very good. But not cause of the package. That package will be used at the best TRACKS.

I was pointing out that there will be 14 tracks with even more downforce than 2014 and high horsepower..Sorry PACKAGE set ya off. But I believe there are other readers that that could be of interest to. BTW every track this year gets a different car SETUP than previously used.:D

I was pointing out that there will be 14 tracks with even more downforce than 2014 and high horsepower..Sorry PACKAGE set ya off. But I believe there are other readers that that could be of interest to. BTW every track this year gets a different car SETUP than previously used.:D
And I'm pointing out that we're getting that package on tracks that aero doesn't matter.

So you are saying aero doesn't matter. So downforce isn't part of aero? I believe it is a whole hell of a lot myself.

So you are saying aero doesn't matter. So downforce isn't part of aero? I believe it is a whole hell of a lot myself.
Let me know how many times you hear them talk about an aero push or dirty air at Sonoma or Martinsville and get back to me

#NASCAR: Some liked it and some didn't, but they all had to deal with the new rules package Sunday at @amsupdates.
Long: Opinions varied, but in the end it was still a race

In some ways, the package worked. At a track where the leader has gone out to an advantage of close to 10 seconds in the past, the lead mushroomed only to about four seconds Sunday. Even then, there were battles at the front. Kyle Larson and Kevin Harvick traded the lead four times within a dozen laps near the race’s midpoint.

“It just felt like a typical race up there,” Larson said after finishing 12th, hindered by a late pit road speeding penalty. “Just battling hard. I didn’t think the package made us battle for the lead any differently than the old package.”

The 25 lead changes were the most in the past three Atlanta races. Martin Truex Jr. nearly made it a 26th. He closed on Brad Keselowski in the final two laps but couldn’t get by him, losing by .21-hundredths of a second.

Kyle Busch, who has been a critic of this package, didn’t have his mind swayed by Sunday’s race.

“Traffic is really bad, aero-wise,” said Busch, who started in the rear in a backup car, ran as high as second, had a tire go down after contact and finished sixth. “You get behind somebody and they take your air away and you’re junk.

“You could make runs on people and have somebody mess up on a corner exit and get a good run. If you got a good run, you could go by them on the straightway. Being directly behind them is really bad. I think it’s worse than before.”

Keselowski said one key factor for drivers is that they no longer can adjust the trackbar themselves in the car. That puts a premium on handling.

“To me the track bar adjuster always made it better to play defense, or easier to play defense,” Keselowski said. “And so I thought that was an interesting change. I thought you saw more comers and goers because of that personally, so I thought that was interesting.”
Like this or hate it, this is what teams will be racing this season. While the package will change at some tracks — next weekend’s race at Las Vegas will feature aero ducts that should encourage more drafting — teams will have to figure out how to master all these changes. Those that do will celebrate like Keselowski did Sunday. Those that don't will be bitter more often.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/02/24/long-opinions-varied-but-in-the-end-it-was-still-a-race/

The removal of the track bar adjuster played a bigger role than some realize in last week's race. The "long run car" or "short run car" has been less prominent in recent years. Sunday's race really felt like a race from the mid 2000s at Atlanta. Comers and goers over a run is a big part of what made the gen-4 era so great.

from above:
The Team Penske drivers all could move through the field after they struggled in qualifying. Keselowski started 19th, Ryan Blaney 26th and Joey Logano 27th. They combined to lead 96 of 325 laps.

Car owner Roger Penske gave the day’s racing “a solid B” noting that “nobody gets an ‘A’ on their first exam. I say it’s a solid B for NASCAR today because there were drivers who, Brad included, Joey twice came from the back, could pass cars. One thing that was amazing to me was someone on the high line could run (with a car) on the low line going into (Turn) 2 and stay with them and drag them back on the straightaway. I felt overall the package showed well.”

Obviously it's too early to tell but to me it looks like the cars are way too easy to drive. These are professional race car drivers and they should be on the edge every lap, not enjoying a cruise on the highway.

Well, I wonder if ticket sales are up....Las Vegas Pres. says sales are good and cites new package. Every year before going to Fontana, I do a last second check of hotels to see if something I might want opened up. I have never seen so many hotels sold out in the 10 years I have been going there. Hmmmmmm. I put this here instead of the attendance thread because I wonder if the package is stirring interest.

Whelp. Scene 1 Part 1 was a joke. Picking numbers out of a hat would have saved on fuel.

I hope the driver's cause a scene to correct this for their own sake, they know it ain't right. Start a gofundme page and go to town! The novelty is going to wear off on this thing, and how many fans will they have lost in the meantime? They have not learned a damn thing. Nice entertainment Propst!

Might as well add in a random moving rear blade adjuster controlled by the powers at be while we're at it! ":Drop the downforce on the 4 car, he's gapping the field." Seriously, this is sad, a sad sad gimmick attempt at grabbing ratings.

Well, I wonder if ticket sales are up....Las Vegas Pres. says sales are good and cites new package. Every year before going to Fontana, I do a last second check of hotels to see if something I might want opened up. I have never seen so many hotels sold out in the 10 years I have been going there. Hmmmmmm. I put this here instead of the attendance thread because I wonder if the package is stirring interest.

Lol yeah the jump in sales is definitely not due to the amazing racing the track put on for 3 days straight 4 months ago.

No, it will be predictable. Some will call it the greatest race ever. Some will say that they are done with NASCAR. It will be what it has always been. It always is.
I'd still bet there will be over 100 new posts here within 24 hours of the checkered flag.

Maybe not.. but you get a few certain people together and put an opinion between them they'll fight over it for hours.

I like the new package. I thought they put on a great show at Atlanta. I may have a little different view after Vegas. Ya never know.

Back
Top Bottom