What Do you Think of the New Package?

need more horsepower and even less down force. We can get single file racing out of that track
1598289619932.png

Talladega 2020-31 Race Report
Finishing

• 56.4% of cars finished on the lead lap in Talladega 2020-31. That’s right at the median.
  • 64.1% of cars finished the race (average: 73.2%)
  • 63.8 green-flag passes per lap (average 78.5%) This is near the bottom of the ‘average race’ window.
Cautions, Accidents and Spins

• 13 cautions was well over the average of 6.5 and a new track record.
  • If you look at caution as a percentage of the race, this race was 27% cautions, which is also a new track record. On average, only 14% of a fall Talladega race is consumed by cautions, so this is almost twice average
  • There were more accidents and spins (7 accidents and 1 spin) in this race than any fall Talladega race since 2007 with the exception of 2017
More here for those interested

It's absolutely f***** awful

and before I get stats posted at me, I don't care how many times the same two cars pass each other for 17th, you can't pass the leader.
not to worry Bud, If I find them don't look, it will be a more harmonious outcome. You only have one more race left to go and then it will be on to something else.

The superspeedway bubble was on display on Sunday. We might not be able to fix aero but we can try to encourage passing. Higher HP, less downforce?

The 2019 Cup season (all high DF) was down 1% overall from 2018 (all low DF).

The point of this is to dismiss the absurd notion that the package has some immediate and direct effect on viewership. It doesn't.
you probably need to research the year before they made the changes. I believe that was 2017? and previous.

you probably need to research the year before they made the changes. I believe that was 2017? and previous.

Rehashing that isn't necessary or useful. TV ratings tumbled continually for more than a decade since the mid '00s through various generations of car, power, and downforce levels.

I'm still angry after 24 hours.
I’ve been a fan for over 20 years (I’m a little older than this youtuber) and made it a point to watch every race. Unless a family occasion, Sunday afternoons were blocked off. 2019 I missed a few races out of disinterest and this season I have probably missed over half the races or only watched the last 50 or so laps. Unless there is a drastic change, I can see barely watching 2021 sans Bristol, Martinsville and maybe Nashville. Although I have been watching more IndyCar and WOO than in previous years. It’s just more fun watching such talented drivers wheel that much horsepower right on the edge.

The lack of driver personality or relatability in NASCAR was fine to deal with when the racing was raw. Now that the racing is as stale as the on-camera personalities, everything is meh.

I think it’s time for NASCAR to implement a DRS system. This was a problem even during the low downforce days, the leader with clean air could absolutely block the hell out of the main racing line and win.

Remember the Southern 500 a few years back? Larson dominated that thing, gets beat on a pit stop by Brad, and that was that. 2 had clean air and ran away with it

I think it’s time for NASCAR to implement a DRS system. This was a problem even during the low downforce days, the leader with clean air could absolutely block the hell out of the main racing line and win.

Remember the Southern 500 a few years back? Larson dominated that thing, gets beat on a pit stop by Brad, and that was that. 2 had clean air and ran away with it
I can remember Gordon talking about clean air and aero back in the 90's and why he couldn't pass. Nothing new here. The 550 package has generally increased the passing over the previous ones from all the way back in the 90's. It's no cure all, nothing is at high speed. They take another stab at it next year with the next Gen. Complainers will complain and the rest of us will watch it to see how it goes.

Was just watching this on YouTube lol. Love Radman's stuff, I personally think he's way better than Estepp in terms of knowledge and having his own original thought, but he mostly does gaming since he's so fed up with the product so we don't get this often.
This is the age NASCAR is trying to appeal to and it’s backfiring. Instead of focusing on the broken product, they focused on bocce ball.

I can remember Gordon talking about clean air and aero back in the 90's and why he couldn't pass. Nothing new here. The 550 package has generally increased the passing over the previous ones from all the way back in the 90's. It's no cure all, nothing is at high speed. They take another stab at it next year with the next Gen. Complainers will complain and the rest of us will watch it to see how it goes.

At least we have parity...wait.

At least we have parity...wait.
Looks like they have a good chance of having all three brands in the final race. I'm pretty sure that statement is more bait for the trolls, but it is what it is and yeah they call that parity. From a rice burner standpoint, Hamlin's team has been clicking off races like a well oiled machine, they have had speed everywhere and Hamlin has cleaned up his pit road penalties this year, Harvick's bunch the same way, pretty much mistake free. That is what it takes to get to the last 4. I didn't come up with the idea of the playoffs, not a fan, but I am not going to troll every fukin thread about it.

Looks like they have a good chance of having all three brands in the final race. I'm pretty sure that statement is more bait for the trolls, but it is what it is and yeah they call that parity. From a rice burner standpoint, Hamlin's team has been clicking off races like a well oiled machine, they have had speed everywhere and Hamlin has cleaned up his pit road penalties this year, Harvick's bunch the same way, pretty much mistake free. That is what it takes to get to the last 4. I didn't come up with the idea of the playoffs, not a fan, but I am not going to troll every fukin thread about it.

Some of us look at the Manufacturer Standings. You included. Still remember you yowling about Toyota's 19 wins. Ford has 18. You say nothing.

Some of us look at the Manufacturer Standings. You included. Still remember you yowling about Toyota's 19 wins. Ford has 18. You say nothing.
Ford's time :idunno: Toyota has been backing off, they have 4 cars in the series, comparing that to Ford or Chevy that should tell the tale.

Ford's time :idunno:

Ford did a hell of a job. Clearly an advantage. Chevy has been a gigantic disappointment. Had the world handed to them, and they tripped on their dicks. Ford has kicked MY Toyota's asses. Who the hell knows about Hamlin, but I think the measure of a manufacturer is across the teams. One guy excelling while the others suck in a five car fleet is unacceptable. Ford deserves what they are getting. Good on them.

Kyle, Jones and Truex have made more mistakes than Hamlin's team has. They have driven it into the wall more than Hamlin, been involved in more accidents as a rule some of their own making, and luck hasn't been on their side either. The teams have four different packages to deal with and and there is very little that transfers to the other. It's really hard to stay on that knife edge that it takes to stay up front and with only 4 teams the odds of numbers aren't in your favor. Chevy is in the worst position, they only have 2 cars that are a threat to win a race every week, Elliott and Bowman

This is the age NASCAR is trying to appeal to and it’s backfiring. Instead of focusing on the broken product, they focused on bocce ball.
It's like NASCAR doesn't realize that there are young fans, target audience fans who remember what racing was like 12 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I just want them to give the damn power under the hood back to the drivers. Harvick gets his nose chopped off and it takes two whole laps in crunch time to even get it wound back up. Beyond that, just watch the restarts, watch what happens to a car when someone decides to mirror drive and block or a lane doesn't go. There is no pull out and make a move, it's you get to hit the brakes and deal with it and lose 3 or 4 or more positions until your little baby engine can get it back going. It's pathetic to watch and infuriating if you're a fan of specific drivers.

I just want them to give the damn power under the hood back to the drivers. Harvick gets his nose chopped off and it takes two whole laps in crunch time to even get it wound back up. Beyond that, just watch the restarts, watch what happens to a car when someone decides to mirror drive and block or a lane doesn't go. There is no pull out and make a move, it's you get to hit the brakes and deal with it and lose 3 or 4 or more positions until your little baby engine can get it back going. It's pathetic to watch and infuriating if you're a fan of specific drivers.
Since Larson isn't driving I have no dog in the fight, and I still got really frustrated watching that race. That should have been a late race pass for the win. Instead it was 40 laps of follow the leader topped off by the chipmunks at NBC. I swear they have the highest pitched male voices on the planet, other than Allen who's just repetitive and annoying.

Back
Top Bottom