What kind of car do you drive?

I picked up this gem today....

20220212-132932.jpg

20220212-114109-HDR.jpg

'02 Escalade, 6.0L LQ9, AWD, 122k miles, Pearl White. Runs and drives extremely well, no issues whatsoever. Everything works like it should. It's so smooth and comfortable, I'm already in love.

I'm selling the Blazer (the '04 I bought this past fall) to my brother, so it'll be staying in the family. Still have both my trucks. The '89 is running great and will continue to see occasional use. The '85 still tucked away in the garage hibernating.

20220212-132932.jpg

20220212-114109-HDR.jpg

'02 Escalade, 6.0L LQ9, AWD, 122k miles, Pearl White. Runs and drives extremely well, no issues whatsoever. Everything works like it should. It's so smooth and comfortable, I'm already in love.

I'm selling the Blazer (the '04 I bought this past fall) to my brother, so it'll be staying in the family. Still have both my trucks. The '89 is running great and will continue to see occasional use. The '85 still tucked away in the garage hibernating.
Congrats!

20220212-132932.jpg

20220212-114109-HDR.jpg

Need that AWD for the weather. Also, the LQ9 is very sought after engine as they are damn near bullet proof. They can make a sh*ton of power on a budget.

Still, its more than enough. Idk why I thought you said a GTI variant of the Golf. Oh and they sound good and make giggly turbo flutter noises.😁
Since the Golf only has a 1.6 liter engine you always have to get the rpm very high before you shift. That way the Golf consumes more Diesel than our 3 series BMW which has a 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine.

Silver is a hard color to match once it’s been out in the sun. Shoulda blended the adjoining panels.
It’s barely noticeable in person. Stood out in the picture because I have iPhone.

I concern myself with how a car drives which is why I got Toyota Corolla. If I wanted a car for looks and show, I would’ve bought the Mazda I was looking at. Toyota and Ford (which is what the truck in the picture is) are my preferences. Never gone wrong with either.

Both my trucks, side by side.....

IMG-16112020-220558-1200-x-900-pixel.jpg

I recently moved into an apartment (going through a divorce and gave up the house) and luckily I managed to squeeze the GMC into the apartment garage, along with all my tools and other garage stuff....

IMG-13122020-135159-1200-x-900-pixel.jpg

I recently got a new job and now have a company provided car, which is currently a 2018 Ford Focus hatchback. No pictures, because it sucks and I don't like it. The company will be replacing it with a brand new Chevrolet Trax soon, and I'm not thrilled about that either. But it's basically a free car so I'm not going to complain too much!
How do you get out of the GMC once you park it in there? Tight!!

How do you get out of the GMC once you park it in there? Tight!!

It ain't easy, LOL.

I moved that toolbox to the other side of the garage so I can actually walk along the driver's side now, and there's enough room for the doors to open about halfway without hitting the wall.

I was under the hood yesterday replacing a belt, which is a huge PITA just getting there due to the lack of space. I have to step on the bumper and hop onto my workbench. This is how much clearance I have up front.....

20220319-193333.jpg

Doing much of anything in this garage is next to impossible, and it's such a hassle just getting it in and out. I can't wait to get a house with a real garage.

It ain't easy, LOL.

I moved that toolbox to the other side of the garage so I can actually walk along the driver's side now, and there's enough room for the doors to open about halfway without hitting the wall.

I was under the hood yesterday replacing a belt, which is a huge PITA just getting there due to the lack of space. I have to step on the bumper and hop onto my workbench. This is how much clearance I have up front.....

20220319-193333.jpg

Doing much of anything in this garage is next to impossible, and it's such a hassle just getting it in and out. I can't wait to get a house with a real garage.
I can't wait for you to get a bigger garage too! Dang! I'd be doing all my work outside weather permitting....

Still the same for me
-2015 Silvarado 4x4 extended cab, on the weekends to keep it low milage.
-2012 Camary 4 cylindar as my daily driver. We also joke that this is Brownies or our dogs car, because 80% of the time this is the car for him when needed. He gets to ride in the truck as well, cause a man needs his cap on, and his dog riding along with him truck time.

I plan on running them both until they fail. Not wanting to spend big dollars about every five years on an update or replacment.

The wife drives 2020 Honda Accord touring edition. One day it may replace the Camry if ever needed or whenever she needs an update or newer car. She loves the back up camaras modern driving assist tools etc...
We use this car together weekends, travel, vacations or anytime together if we are not taking Brownie (our dog) with us.

Still the same for me
-2015 Silvarado 4x4 extended cab, on the weekends to keep it low milage.
-2012 Camary 4 cylindar as my daily driver. We also joke that this is Brownies or our dogs car, because 80% of the time this is the car for him when needed. He gets to ride in the truck as well, cause a man needs his cap on, and his dog riding along with him truck time.

I plan on running them both until they fail. Not wanting to spend big dollars about every five years on an update or replacment.

The wife drives 2020 Honda Accord touring edition. One day it may replace the Camry if ever needed or whenever she needs an update or newer car. She loves the back up camaras modern driving assist tools etc...
We use this car together weekends, travel, vacations or anytime together if we are not taking Brownie (our dog) with us.
No dog in the honda huh? LOL

Currently --- 2010 Lincoln Town Car --- like driving my recliner down the road. LOL
Still have the same Town Car. In 2017 it had 60K --- it now has 101K. Just had it thoroughly gone through for a checkup.
Still had the original spark plugs, so changed those. Gasket around the oil pan was seeping, not leaking, but had it changed anyway.
Brakes still had about 50% left on them.
Radiator and transmission had both been flushed at 60K.
Old car is good to go. And it's still like driving my recliner. It's bucket fits my bucket. Can't find any thing new that isn't hard and uncomfortable.

Still have the same Town Car. In 2017 it had 60K --- it now has 101K. Just had it thoroughly gone through for a checkup.
Still had the original spark plugs, so changed those. Gasket around the oil pan was seeping, not leaking, but had it changed anyway.
Brakes still had about 50% left on them.
Radiator and transmission had both been flushed at 60K.
Old car is good to go. And it's still like driving my recliner. It's bucket fits my bucket. Can't find any thing new that isn't hard and uncomfortable.

:lol2:

I recently sold my 2011 Hyundai Genesis, a performance luxury sedan with a rear wheel drive and a V8 (I bought it used). I had no problems for over 10 years but the E-brake module failed last fall and it took 2-1/2 months to get a really expensive replacement part. So I bought a new Nissan Maxima with a V6 and front wheel drive (a near luxury sporty car). It has a similar power to weight ratio to the Genesis and the dash electronics that are standard these days are better than the state of the art 2011 electronics.

I also have a 1965 Thunderbird with 49k miles, it is a survivor. The first year for the sequential tail lights and front disk brakes.

Thunderbird 65-31.jpg

Thunderbird 65-48.jpg

The dash is not traditional; the speedometer doesn't have a needle, a red ribbon extends from the left to the right; the dash has no turn signals, they are on top of the fenders; it doesn't have a glove compartment, just the console (the console is made out of metal). And it has a swing away steering wheel that makes it easier to get in & out of the car - I'm a big guy who appreciates that feature.

Thunderbird 65-46.jpg

I recently sold my 2011 Hyundai Genesis, a performance luxury sedan with a rear wheel drive and a V8 (I bought it used). I had no problems for over 10 years but the E-brake module failed last fall and it took 2-1/2 months to get a really expensive replacement part. So I bought a new Nissan Maxima with a V6 and front wheel drive (a near luxury sporty car). It has a similar power to weight ratio to the Genesis and the dash electronics that are standard these days are better than the state of the art 2011 electronics.

I also have a 1965 Thunderbird with 49k miles, it is a survivor. The first year for the sequential tail lights and front disk brakes.

View attachment 69829

View attachment 69831

The dash is not traditional; the speedometer doesn't have a needle, a red ribbon extends from the left to the right; the dash has no turn signals, they are on top of the fenders; it doesn't have a glove compartment, just the console (the console is made out of metal). And it has a swing away steering wheel that makes it easier to get in & out of the car - I'm a big guy who appreciates that feature.

View attachment 69830

I love the old metal dashes. The one you have is great or special. I love all of the old ones even the old dashes that would be called simple. Whenever I see an old car and can get close enough to see the interrior the first things I will naturally want to see is the dash, the steering wheel and a good looking shifter.

I will eventually get around to looking at the seats and everything else inside but the dash, steering and shifter almost always will be the first interior items to catch my attention. Not so much if it is a newer one with a plastic dash, the old metal ones are just much cooler imo.

View attachment 69829

View attachment 69831

View attachment 69830
Also congratulations on still having the old Tbird. You have probably heard the stories from people regretting the old classic car that got away. You still have one and that alone deserves respect imo.

I miss my old 55 Chevrolet and 66 SS Chevelle that got away. I also should have never sold my old small block Chevy engine that had the angle plugged heads, and I really miss the sound of the spread bore carburetor whenever I nailed it.
Looking back on it all I think I would have preferred dropping out of college and just keeping the stuff if I had it to do all over again

Previously, I had a 2005 Kia Rio. I kept putting money into it, repair after repair, because it was still cheaper than getting a new vehicle. However, it became an annoying cycle. In 2019, I moved to Missouri. A couple of months later, I decided that I finally had enough saved for a down payment big enough to allow me to afford my monthly payments. It was a huge moment for me, because it was my first time getting a vehicle without needing the parents financial support.

It's nothing special, just a 2019 Kia Rio. But it's reliable and after all the repairs I had done on my last car, all I wanted was something I felt I could safely drive without it breaking down.

Attachments

• 20230409_173945.jpg
    20230409_173945.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 78
I’ve seriously been looking at buying a new truck. There’s really nothing out there that seems like a great value.
Ford has crap tiny engines with multiple turbos to compensate.
Chevy has terrible reliability.
Dodge even worse.
I wanna drive my 63 but it seems like Paul is never going to get that 57 Chevy out of there. I’m seriously thinking about taking my truck to another shop. I just need a commitment on done time. I need bodywork done, I do frame and drivetrain.
There aren’t good trucks made today. It’s all garbage.
The 63 will be big block, auto, disc brakes, long bed; exactly what I want and need.

I’ve seriously been looking at buying a new truck. There’s really nothing out there that seems like a great value.
Ford has crap tiny engines with multiple turbos to compensate.
Chevy has terrible reliability.
Dodge even worse.
I wanna drive my 63 but it seems like Paul is never going to get that 57 Chevy out of there. I’m seriously thinking about taking my truck to another shop. I just need a commitment on done time. I need bodywork done, I do frame and drivetrain.
There aren’t good trucks made today. It’s all garbage.
The 63 will be big block, auto, disc brakes, long bed; exactly what I want and need.
It sucks if you decide to take that road. You and Paul have been friends for awhile and wonder if pulling your truck and finding another shop might not sit well with Paul. Understand your frustration though. All the good work you put into that '63 and wondering if, or when, Paul might move it in and begin working on it. I know around here it is nearly impossible to get someone to even do a repaint. Things any better where you live?

It sucks if you decide to take that road. You and Paul have been friends for awhile and wonder if pulling your truck and finding another shop might not sit well with Paul. Understand your frustration though. All the good work you put into that '63 and wondering if, or when, Paul might move it in and begin working on it. I know around here it is nearly impossible to get someone to even do a repaint. Things any better where you live?
Most shops around here only want to do collision/insurance jobs but there are a few shops that only do custom stuff, although they are a bit more pricey than the collision shops.

Back
Top Bottom