What kind of car do you drive?

Transmission blew in my ‘07 Silverado on the way home yesterday afternoon. Picked this up at the local used lot this evening. 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71, 5.3 V8.
Only one previous owner, who put all highway miles on it. Got it shined up after I took this picture, swapping over my toolbox and running boards tomorrow so it doesn’t look so plain Jane.

709EB4F8-4AF3-4824-9F07-91E8E8C263A2.jpeg

I've been driving the '85 quite a bit this fall when the weather is nice. It's running and driving pretty good, but feels very sluggish and down on power, especially at low RPM. I think the old Holley needs rebuilt (or replaced) and I probably need to check/adjust the timing as well. So I'm planning on getting a new carb in the spring, and if I'm still not happy with the performance after I get it dialed in, I'll either try a Sniper EFI kit or just swap out the old 350 for a mild 454. Yeah, I could do an LS swap, but I would rather keep it simple and I love the sound of a big block.

20230812-143002-HDR.jpg

Snapchat-954480591-copy-1836x1484.jpg

My fiancé wanted to get some engagement pics, and insisted that we include our cars. Yeah, she's awesome....

received-7037662229611180.jpg

received-851023916809598.jpg

FB-IMG-1698982356516.jpg

I've been driving the '85 quite a bit this fall when the weather is nice. It's running and driving pretty good, but feels very sluggish and down on power, especially at low RPM. I think the old Holley needs rebuilt (or replaced) and I probably need to check/adjust the timing as well. So I'm planning on getting a new carb in the spring, and if I'm still not happy with the performance after I get it dialed in, I'll either try a Sniper EFI kit or just swap out the old 350 for a mild 454. Yeah, I could do an LS swap, but I would rather keep it simple and I love the sound of a big block.

20230812-143002-HDR.jpg

Snapchat-954480591-copy-1836x1484.jpg

My fiancé wanted to get some engagement pics, and insisted that we include our cars. Yeah, she's awesome....

received-7037662229611180.jpg

received-851023916809598.jpg

FB-IMG-1698982356516.jpg
My kind of girl! Car girls are the best.

IMG_0704.jpeg

It’s been roughly three months since my Kia was stolen. It had been in the shop for three months, 1 1/2 due to theft repairs, then another 1 1/2 months because an update they had done to the car put it in a coma. It literally wouldn’t start and they had no idea why. A few days ago, they finally were able to start it. I have extreme anxiety and would have been worried that it’d get stolen again, so I threw in the towel and traded it in. It was a tough decision, because I had bought it brand new and planned on keeping it until it blew up. But I just couldn’t keep it and risk having it happen again. Though my first car (My high school car) ever was a Toyota, I’ve been with Kia for the past 15 years. I don’t care about how stylish or flashy my car is. I just want something reliable, so I decided to go with the Toyota Corolla. I would have liked to go new, but it wasn’t in my budget. This one has 30,000 miles on it, but I’m still hopeful it will last a while.

I don’t understand how people can buy new vehicles so frequently. It’s such a frustrating and expensive experience.

View attachment 75062

It’s been roughly three months since my Kia was stolen. It had been in the shop for three months, 1 1/2 due to theft repairs, then another 1 1/2 months because an update they had done to the car put it in a coma. It literally wouldn’t start and they had no idea why. A few days ago, they finally were able to start it. I have extreme anxiety and would have been worried that it’d get stolen again, so I threw in the towel and traded it in. It was a tough decision, because I had bought it brand new and planned on keeping it until it blew up. But I just couldn’t keep it and risk having it happen again. Though my first car (My high school car) ever was a Toyota, I’ve been with Kia for the past 15 years. I don’t care about how stylish or flashy my car is. I just want something reliable, so I decided to go with the Toyota Corolla. I would have liked to go new, but it wasn’t in my budget. This one has 30,000 miles on it, but I’m still hopeful it will last a while.

I don’t understand how people can buy new vehicles so frequently. It’s such a frustrating and expensive experience.
Solid choice with the Corolla.

I got 275K out of my '93 Sentra before the transmission let go. I wouldn't touch a Nissan now.

For what reason? 275k sounds great! Have they gone downhill since then? I’m not a car person, so I don’t know. I drove my dad’s Rogue while I was without a car. Seemed to drive fine, but the backup cam was terrible.

Traded the Grand Cherokee last year in April. Waiting anxiously for the 24 Tacoma to come out hoping resale on the current one is as good as they say…..View attachment 72549
IMG_0854.jpeg

We decided to keep the Tacoma since it’s paid off and found this 21 Wrangler with 9200 miles on it in Oct. Immediately took it to Gatlinburg and I’m sure we looked like morons traveling down 19 with the top rolled back and 55 degrees. We hope to take little adventures here and there when the weather improves.

As I said in another thread, some girl wrecked into my Escalade earlier this week. Her insurance admitted she was at fault, now we just have to determine how much they owe me and still waiting to see if they decide to total it. Here's a sad before and after.....

20230215-135427-HDR.jpg

20240122-153625-HDR.jpg

My '89 pickup recently developed a shifting problem. It's a 4-speed manual, and one day I left work and it would only go into 1st. Had it towed to my brother's house and we figured out the problem. The detent pin (or whatever it's called) that keeps the shifter centered (from side to side) while in neutral somehow failed. Unfortunately we had to pull the trans to fix it.....

Driveshaft and tcase out of the way.....

20240127-163317.jpg

Trans pulled and opened up......

20240127-163315-HDR.jpg

See that bastard pin laying on the ground? All this trouble for something so stupid.....

20240127-163311.jpg

We should have it all finished up tomorrow.....

20240127-141755-HDR.jpg

Also, until the Escalade situation is figured out, I figured I should pick up another cheap beater to have as a backup car. Years ago I had a 2005 Scion (Toyota) XB, white, 5-speed manual, that was all beat to hell but it ran and drove great. Well, I got lucky and found one just like it. Same year, color, trans, even beat up and rusty just like my last one......

20240127-224943-HDR.jpg

20240127-225003-HDR.jpg

Here's my old one, for reference....

20201016-165059-HDR.jpg

20201016-183502-HDR.jpg

As I said in another thread, some girl wrecked into my Escalade earlier this week. Her insurance admitted she was at fault, now we just have to determine how much they owe me and still waiting to see if they decide to total it. Here's a sad before and after.....

20230215-135427-HDR.jpg

20240122-153625-HDR.jpg

My '89 pickup recently developed a shifting problem. It's a 4-speed manual, and one day I left work and it would only go into 1st. Had it towed to my brother's house and we figured out the problem. The detent pin (or whatever it's called) that keeps the shifter centered (from side to side) while in neutral somehow failed. Unfortunately we had to pull the trans to fix it.....

20240127-163317.jpg

20240127-163315-HDR.jpg

See that bastard pin laying on the ground? All this trouble for something so stupid.....

20240127-163311.jpg

20240127-141755-HDR.jpg

Also, until the Escalade situation is figured out, I figured I should pick up another cheap beater to have as a backup car. Years ago I had a 2005 Scion (Toyota) XB, white, 5-speed manual, that was all beat to hell but it ran and drove great. Well, I got lucky and found one just like it. Same year, color, trans, even beat up and rusty just like my last one......

20240127-224943-HDR.jpg

20240127-225003-HDR.jpg

20201016-165059-HDR.jpg

20201016-183502-HDR.jpg
The old XB....and Scion. Toyota wanted into the tuner market until that market disappeared. Great idea....a little late maybe. Sorry about your Caddy....looked really nice before the accident.

View attachment 75062

30K is new for a Toyota! :)

The old XB....and Scion. Toyota wanted into the tuner market until that market disappeared. Great idea....a little late maybe. Sorry about your Caddy....looked really nice before the accident.

The 1st gen XB is an outstanding car. My first one had 266k when I sold it, still going strong. This one has "only" 194k. It's the only non-GM car I've ever purchased.

It's funny because when the XB first came out in the early 2000s, I thought it was the dumbest looking car I had ever seen. Apparently I softened on that over time, as even uglier cars like the Nissan Cube would come out. I guess the XB aged pretty well. It's still not an attractive design, but it has character.

The 1st gen XB is an outstanding car. My first one had 266k when I sold it, still going strong. This one has "only" 194k. It's the only non-GM car I've ever purchased.

It's funny because when the XB first came out in the early 2000s, I thought it was the dumbest looking car I had ever seen. Apparently I softened on that over time, as even uglier cars like the Nissan Cube would come out. I guess the XB aged pretty well. It's still not an attractive design, but it has character.
I have a couple of colleagues who own and love them. I love that. I hate the car as an appliance mentality.....Scion and particularly the XB is anything but that. Kinda cool really.

20230215-135427-HDR.jpg

20240122-153625-HDR.jpg

20240127-163317.jpg

20240127-163315-HDR.jpg

20240127-163311.jpg

20240127-141755-HDR.jpg

20240127-224943-HDR.jpg

20240127-225003-HDR.jpg

20201016-165059-HDR.jpg

20201016-183502-HDR.jpg
Good on you for fixing the four speed. I have done almost everything else mechanically including rebuilding engines, repairing rear-ends, some light body like like replacing fenders etc.

I have replaced clutches, swapped out transmissions, even switched my old high school hot rod from an Automatic to a Four speed etc.
But I never was ambitious enough to tare into a transmission itself. In high school a few friends told me you have to be really good to do that kind of stuff and I might have have listened to to well, I dunno.

Good on you for fixing the four speed. I have done almost everything else mechanically including rebuilding engines, repairing rear-ends, some light body like like replacing fenders etc.

I have replaced clutches, swapped out transmissions, even switched my old high school hot rod from an Automatic to a Four speed etc.
But I never was ambitious enough to tare into a transmission itself. In high school a few friends told me you have to be really good to do that kind of stuff and I might have have listened to to well, I dunno.

Oh I don't blame you one bit. I didn't do anything but open it up and get that pin out of there. It had come loose and fallen somewhere that was blocking the internals from moving as they should. There's no way in hell I was going any further than that.

Oh I don't blame you one bit. I didn't do anything but open it up and get that pin out of there. It had come loose and fallen somewhere that was blocking the internals from moving as they should. There's no way in hell I was going any further than that.
You got out cheap IMO. Lotta grunt work but not much else. I had a front dif pin holding everything together come loose driving down the road in my 4wd square body and everything inside exploded. I got to learn front differential rebuild 101.

Let me get you alls opinion on my situation. The car I recently bought was used, which means I bought it as is. I guess when I bought it, I just wanted my situation of being without a vehicle to be over, so I didn’t notice…but the windshield is kind of distorted, enough for me to notice as I’ve never had the issue before. The dealership had replaced the windshield prior to me buying it for some reason, so I’m sure they went with the cheapest option. I doubt insurance will help with it since it’s basically my fault for not noticing prior to buying the car. So my question is, is it worth it to replace it with the possibility that the replacement could be the same or even worse? I’ve heard windshields are cheaply made these days. If it isn’t better, I worry that unless it’s extremely noticeable, the glass company won’t give me a replacement, so the issue won’t be resolved and I’ll have just waisted $1,000+. I don’t have a lot of money, so $1,000 is quite significant for me. Any suggestions? Anyone been in this situation before? I’m secretly hoping for a hailstorm this season, but if it was bad enough to break the windshield, I’d probably have more things to deal with.

I have no issues with getting over on an insurance company. They are constantly getting over on us.
We had to replace one last year due to a dump truck on the interstate. They wanted to use an aftermarket one but after telling them we wanted
the genuine OEM part they agreed.

I have no issues with getting over on an insurance company. They are constantly getting over on us.
I am not to much about getting over on them but I have absolutely no sympathy for the insurance companies. They love collecting premiums and denying making payments themselves whenever possibile.

Let me get you alls opinion on my situation. The car I recently bought was used, which means I bought it as is. I guess when I bought it, I just wanted my situation of being without a vehicle to be over, so I didn’t notice…but the windshield is kind of distorted, enough for me to notice as I’ve never had the issue before. The dealership had replaced the windshield prior to me buying it for some reason, so I’m sure they went with the cheapest option. I doubt insurance will help with it since it’s basically my fault for not noticing prior to buying the car. So my question is, is it worth it to replace it with the possibility that the replacement could be the same or even worse? I’ve heard windshields are cheaply made these days. If it isn’t better, I worry that unless it’s extremely noticeable, the glass company won’t give me a replacement, so the issue won’t be resolved and I’ll have just waisted $1,000+. I don’t have a lot of money, so $1,000 is quite significant for me. Any suggestions? Anyone been in this situation before? I’m secretly hoping for a hailstorm this season, but if it was bad enough to break the windshield, I’d probably have more things to deal with.
Maybe try to sell the car and come as close as you can to break even and start over?

New wheels on the Escalade. I picked them up from my brother's friend for extremely cheap. They are factory 20s from a 2010ish Yukon and the tires are fairly new.....

20240330-223515.jpg

20240331-133347.jpg

I have one more week at this apartment. My fiancé and I take possession of our new house Friday. I'm now using the garage for boxes and stuff, so the black truck will have to sit outside next to my gold truck for a few days....

20240331-133356.jpg

I won't miss this tiny garage one damn bit.....

20240329-133729.jpg

The more I drive it the more I like it.
Lots of bells and whistles. Adaptive cruise control, lane departure alert, heated seats, heated steering wheel…I bought the Carhartt seat protectors from Covercraft, really well made.
View attachment 77637View attachment 77638
I put 300,000 miles on a 1999 4runner with a 4 cylinder. The drive train was still strong and didn't use any oil when I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom