Who has won with the most car numbers?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Cholo, Jul 14, 2019 at 5:58 PM.

1. Cholo

Cholo Team Owner

A lot was made of Kurt winning now with nine different crew chiefs. Got me to thinking about how many different cars he has driven (97, 2, 22, 51, 78, 51, 1) and has won in five (97, 2, 22, 41, 1) of them.

I know no active drivers have taken so many numbers to victory lane but wondered if he holds the all-time distinction as well.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  2. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

By my count, Bobby Allison won car numbers 2, 6 ,11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 22, 49, and 88. Ricky Rudd has won in car numbers, 3, 5, 10, 15, 26 and 28.

3. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

Also, by my count, David Pearson won in car numbers 1, 2, 3, 6,17, and 21.

4. Cholo

Cholo Team Owner

Good info. Well before my time. What I do know is it's been expensive over the years buying all new gear every time Kurt got fired / switched cars.

5. JohnHill

JohnHill Rusty Wallace & Terry Labonte Rule!

I always got attached to the car scheme/number. It was a ton easier years ago to get behind drivers. Cause they’d be racing the same car ‘most’ of the season.

I don’t sense much attachment to some of the teams today. With so many sponsors sharing the season, it’s ‘lost’ something that fans use to have. Just my thought there

2 Sweet, Team Penske, Kiante and 4 others like this.
  6. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

I honestly believe that the "sponsor of the week" program that NASCAR teams pretty much have to use now is one of MANY factors that has led to reduced fan interest.

2 Sweet and JohnHill like this.
  7. mack

mack Team Owner

Yep. If I recall correctly, the first special promo paint scheme was Earnhardts 95 Winston Silver Special Monte Carlo. It was a one off to honor RJ Reynolds 25 years as the series sponsor. After that it seems the flood gates opened for everybody. I miss the days of one paint scheme for the season. It ain't coming back.

JohnHill likes this.
  8. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

Among active drivers Kurt has won with the most different car numbers at 5, Bowyer and Truex have each won with 4 different numbers (07,14,15,and 33 for Bowyer; 1,19,56,and 78 for Truex).

9. pjmolo

pjmolo Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .

Can't imagine anyone having more than 10.

10. DIDIT

DIDIT Old School Fan

Tim Flock won in a car with 3 numbers...301. That is the most I can find. :) Buck Baker won in car number 500B, you could make an argument for 4 digits and he would be tied with Speedy Thompson in car 300C.

11. MRM

MRM Team Owner

Bobby Allison was going to be my guess as soon as I saw the topic title.

12. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

As Bobby will say, "I was pretty good at driving, but boy I couldnt keep a job."

2 Sweet and mack like this.
  13. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

You have to wonder if and Bobby and Junior Johnson had found a way to get along, if those three consecutive championships (or more) that Cale got wouldn't have gone to Bobby instead. Even though he won races, those years driving for Penske and Bud Moore were kind of "lost years" when Bobby was probably in his prime.

14. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Well Jr said if Bobby Stayed with him he would have 7 Championships and not Richard

15. mack

mack Team Owner

Junior johnson himself said if he could, or would have kept Bobby, they would have won more races than the Pettys. Junior, Bobby , Herb Nab with Coca Cola money could have been a lethal combination. It didn't work out, but those three guys are much respected and definitely winners.

ToyYoda and Spotter22 like this.
  16. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

17. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

18. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

Article is dated two days ago. :confused: