Who is the NASCAR GOAT?

Jorge De Guzman

2017, 2021 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor
I am relatively new here, less than 5 years on these parts. Since we have an off week and as much as I love reading the debating of Matty D/TRD/LFR/Preacher Joe transaction, maybe we can change it up. So the question is simple but I dont think we will have a simple answer...... Who is the GOAT of NASCAR.

It is not an answerable question in NASCAR or any other motorsport because the racing, the equipment, and the tracks have changed drastically over time. NASCAR racing in the 1950s is completely different from the racing of the 1980s which is completely different from the racing today. The best you can do is determine the best of each era or decade.

It is not an answerable question in NASCAR or any other motorsport because the racing, the equipment, and the tracks have changed drastically over time. NASCAR racing in the 1950s is completely different from the racing of the 1980s which is completely different from the racing today. The best you can do is determine the best of each era or decade.
fair enough I think this discussion could do down that way, comparing the best of each era would be interesting I think

well thats a great contribution to this thread
I can also give you Dave Mader III the most obscure driver to ever make the All Star Race

I can also give you Dave Mader III the most obscure driver to ever make the All Star Race
well since we're in a joking mood, when I make the inevitable NASCAR's biggest bust thread during the next off week I'll be sure to add Kasey Kahne's name to that list, you just tell me where his ranking should be.

Last edited:
slide job ...

giphy.gif

I am relatively new here, less than 5 years on these parts. Since we have an off week and as much as I love reading the debating of Matty D/TRD/LFR/Preacher Joe transaction, maybe we can change it up. So the question is simple but I dont think we will have a simple answer...... Who is the GOAT of NASCAR.
I think that the reason that nobody is serious about this snappy is this subject has been beat to death in numerous threads (many in the last five years) and it isn't amusing anymore. Well to most of us anyway. But ya never know.

He was very good in the old All Pro or All American, super late models etc..

I think that the reason that nobody is serious about this snappy is this subject has been beat to death in numerous threads (many in the last five years) and it isn't amusing anymore. Well to most of us anyway. But ya never know.
I didnt know ive only been 2.5 years, I honestly havent seen many of these. I see endless threads like "Hey NASCAR Listen to Your Fans....", 'Has Driver X lost a step" and "Driver X Appreciation" Threads, I was just trying to do something new. I honestly wasnt trying to be amusing or beat a dead horse. I just hadnt seen many of a thread like this in my short time here. I'll refrain for the thread making business in the future and just work with what is already established on here. I cant wait for another "Will Kevin Harvick Retire" thread to pop up.

well since we're in a joking mood, when I make the inevitable NASCAR's biggest bust thread during the next off week I'll be sure to add Kasey Kahne's name to that list, you just tell me where his ranking should be.
fpDmTw70_400x400.jpg

With due respect to @Johali, this thread is no more redundant or repetitive than many others. New and/or unique is not a requirement here.

@Privateer nailed it... it's reasonable to offer a list of the best of their respective eras, but patently impossible to rank the best of one era against the best of other eras. It is often attempted but always comes down to flimsy assumptions and biases, I believe. So my list of Nascar's greatest is arranged in chronological order...

Herb Thomas
Lee Petty
Ned Jarrett
David Pearson
Richard Petty
Cale Yarborough
Bobby Allison
Darrell Waltrip
Dale Earnhardt
Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson

Most talented I’ve seen is Kyle Busch

Best overall driver I’ve seen is between Dale Sr., Gordon, Smoke, JJ

I think you have to define whether your criteria is strictly performance on the track, or performance combined with their overall influence on the sport. I will only narrow it to a top five in no particular order; Petty, Pearson, Earnhardt, Gordon, Johnson. I will contend that Petty, Earnhardt and Gordon had a profound impact on the sport as a whole and how the public perceived it and enjoyed it. I will contend that Pearson and Johnson had far less influence on the sport, partially because they pretty much chose not to.

I think you have to define whether your criteria is strictly performance on the track, or performance combined with their overall influence on the sport. I will only narrow it to a top five in no particular order; Petty, Pearson, Earnhardt, Gordon, Johnson. I will contend that Petty, Earnhardt and Gordon had a profound impact on the sport as a whole and how the public perceived it and enjoyed it. I will contend that Pearson and Johnson had far less influence on the sport, partially because they pretty much chose not to.
I don't think a single fan has a different top 5.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Acs
I'll refrain for the thread making business in the future and just work with what is already established on here. I cant wait for another "Will Kevin Harvick Retire" thread to pop up.
That's a good one. I was just funnin around.
With due respect to @Johali, this thread is no more redundant or repetitive than many others. New and/or unique is not a requirement here.
Come on guy's I was freakin joking. Sheesh.

That's the spirit! :D

Just kidding, man. I like your posts.
yeah I meant I'll just post off already established threads..... making my own threads I think this is 3 strikes and I am out ha ha.

That's a good one. I was just funnin around.

Come on guy's I was freakin joking. Sheesh.
It's all good I took it as good advice honestly. You're one of the good ones here and been around a while, I wasnt in the last bit offended from your input.

Stats. Straight stats, I am a curious person in that I am always intrigued how people interpret stats into forming their own opinions or in other forms of life.....processes into how they do things. For example I could be on racing-reference for hours comparing driver stats to other driver stats. Those kinds of things I find so interesting.

Last edited:

@Privateer nailed it... it's reasonable to offer a list of the best of their respective eras, but patently impossible to rank the best of one era against the best of other eras. It is often attempted but always comes down to flimsy assumptions and biases, I believe. So my list of Nascar's greatest is arranged in chronological order...

Herb Thomas
Lee Petty
Ned Jarrett
David Pearson
Richard Petty
Cale Yarborough
Bobby Allison
Darrell Waltrip
Dale Earnhardt
Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson
Where's Kyle Busch for the last few years past Jimmie's prime?

I don't think a single fan has a different top 5.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think Kyle Busch will crack that group when all is said and done. He has a legit chance of breaking Gordon's win record.

yeah I meant I'll just post off already established threads..... making my own threads I think this is 3 strikes and I am out ha ha.

3??? Dude that's nothing, you have a longggggg way to go before you catch up to the rest of us lol. Seriously, don't hesitate to make more threads in the future :cheers:

Stats. Straight stats, I am a curious person in that I am always intrigued how people interpret stats into forming their own opinions or in other forms of life.....processes into how they do things. For example I could be on racing-reference for hours comparing driver stats to other driver stats. Those kinds of things I find so interesting.

How are you translating those stats to give you the edge in 2019 Pick 'Em game?
After Bristol you are 178 behind the Leader. (Me)
dance.gif
:D

sarcastic.gif
:p:p:p

Last edited:
Most talented I’ve seen is Kyle Busch

Best overall driver I’ve seen is between Dale Sr., Gordon, Smoke, JJ
Yeah Kyle has to be mentioned in any comparisons moving forward from around this moment in time.
He has proven his worthiness IMO

Petty, Earnhardt, and Johnson because they were on their games for so long throughout their careers.

Kyle Busch's biggest weakness is also his greatest strength. The checkers or wreckers attitude has kept him from getting championships.

How are you translating those stats to give you the edge in 2019 Pick 'Em game?
After Bristol you are 178 behind the Leader. (Me)
dance.gif
:D

sarcastic.gif
:p:p:p
Well done lmao. But........ theres a championship under my name. Maybe there'll be one under yours in a few months

3??? Dude that's nothing, you have a longggggg way to go before you catch up to the rest of us lol. Seriously, don't hesitate to make more threads in the future :cheers:
"Hey NASCAR Listen To Your Fans!!" have we had that one before?

so if we break this down by say decade's I'd have to say ( from what I watched as a kid and read)
1970's: Richard Petty
1980's: Dale Earnhardt
1990's: Jeff Gordon...... but its not a slam dunk as you might think. Earnhardt won the 90, 91, 93 and 94 Cups. Late 90's Gordon though eeks it out. 1998 is the most dominant season I have ever seen (08 Kyle Busch, until the Chase started is also pretty dominant. and pick a JJ 5 peat year as well.)
2000's: Jimmie Johnson. Not even debatable...... maybe Tony Stewart. Maybe.
2010's: gosh this is a tough one.. Harvick or Kyle Busch I would say.

The "GOAT" is a personal subject with each of us.
Do we base it off on track performance, personality, generosity or maybe a combination of all aspects.
From what I can tell there is no one single "GOAT", but, a who's who of great drivers throughout all the years of NASCAR and I am referencing NASCAR only, no other motor sport.

(Thanks for a non burrito topic)

To be honest. I don’t care how many agree. I understand from talking with a lot of fans that they do not agree...

Jimmie Johnson.

For Jimmie and his team to stay atop their game for 5 straight years besting all of their competition to win 5 straight titles... during an era where the competition is at its highest level. That alone did it for me.

Team 48 endured changes to the cars a handful of times. They showed how versatile they were.

Quite frankly they made the stuff look easy. I believe they were so good most people gloss over it just looking to create an ‘excuse’ for how they did it.

Bottom line. All the teams and drivers started in Daytona understanding the same rules and regulations... one team was best at the game for five straight years.

I do think there are strong arguments for Jeff Gordon... obviously Dale and Richard. But at the end of the day, I’m comfortable telling anyone I think Jimmie Johnson is the GOAT.

A lot of people measure greatness by Campionships. I don't.

I know that it is certainly a measuring stick but there are just so many variables along with luck need to win Championships.

Reactions: sdj
It's Jimmie Johnson. He captured his accolades in the most competitive era, in relatively very little time compared to others.

There are a lot of shady Richard Petty stats out there.

A lot of people measure greatness by Campionships. I don't.

I know that it is certainly a measuring stick but there are just so many variables along with luck need to win Championships.

I understand what you are saying, and I don't totally disagree, but at the end of the day, what's the objective? It's kind of like the greatest quarterback argument. It's great to throw for 5000 yards and 50 touchdowns, but what's the objective? When I'm trying to separate the greatest from the mere great, I look at the guys who came up big when it REALLY counted.

Back
Top Bottom