Why Does Martin Truex Get So Much Hate On Here?

He comes off as a smug bastard, IMO. Also couldn't stand that constant sob story of how he's such an unfortunate guy. Also wasn't a fan of how he "fired" his crew at Richmond a few seasons back. I get that it's a professional sport, but his demeanor at that moment left a bad taste in my mouth.

Of course, I'm sure he's a swell guy, just like any person that I only know through the media. But I gotta root against somebody, right?
I guess I've never seen him come across in that way.......

He comes off as a smug bastard, IMO. Also couldn't stand that constant sob story of how he's such an unfortunate guy. Also wasn't a fan of how he "fired" his crew at Richmond a few seasons back. I get that it's a professional sport, but his demeanor at that moment left a bad taste in my mouth.

Of course, I'm sure he's a swell guy, just like any person that I only know through the media. But I gotta root against somebody, right?

He may be a great guy but he comes off as smug to me too. For the folks live in hysteria and hyperbole I don't hate Marty, I don't care if he wins 10 more races plus the lottery this year, I don't care if Marvin the Martian disintegrates him or if he becomes the gov of Jersey.

Toyotas are the blandest cars on the market, combine that with a bland team and a bland driver that has the bland 1.5ers figured out. You get the point, not much to get excited about. Truex is just another guy with an above average crew, that can then jump everyone on the restarts and check out.

Is there even a point here?

Okay, I'll bite. Why?
Keeps it interesting. Races are fun, sure, when I'm indifferent against the winner, but every now and then I feel it's good to get the blood pressure up for no special reason all out of spite of somebody I don't know

:lol2:

Maybe because the team excels in finding ways to snatch defeat from otherwise certain victory?

Me, I like the guy. I think hanging out with him and Bowyer would be a stone cold hoot.
Where's all the Larson, Elliott and Harvick hate then?

So where do y'all read or hear this Marty hatred? Is it on some NASCAR call in program or website?

Keeps it interesting. Races are fun, sure, when I'm indifferent against the winner, but every now and then I feel it's good to get the blood pressure up for no special reason all out of spite of somebody I don't know

Pretty normal fan behavior. Plenty of teams I root against in other sports. NASCAR is no different.

I just root against whoever was chosen by the other players in my fantasy league, so that changes from week to week. Nothing personal, it's just business ... :D

Let's face it if you had up on stage Truex, Menard, Johnson, and Newman who would you give the "Mr. Excitement" award too.

Truex is the one driver that I actively root against. There's just some indescribable quality about him that I don't like, that and taking over the 78 and being really successful (could have been Regan Smith in the 78 today if he hadn't gotten booted).

My perception of it is that everyone got used to him running mid pack for years. Similar to guys like Biffles, Newman, Burton, Kahne etc.. difference is those drivers had good starts to their career and Truex didn't.. So he never built much of a fan base.

Then all of a sudden FRR decided they would like to win stuff sometimes, switched to Gibbs Toyota equipment and began to do just that. Truex's head got big (deservedly so) and we started to see a lot more of him in interviews and being talked about by the guys in the booth etc...

IMO it's mostly that we never saw his passion before.. then he led most of the laps for like 20 races and didn't win anything.. so we got to see him act all 2017 Kyle Buschesque for a bit.. that doesn't help fan perception of him.. he's become a solid front of the field driver but I just don't think he has the fanbase most other drivers in that spot do.

Because of the slow start to his career most likely but also IMO he has shown in recent years his personality is just not one to be favored. He kind of reminds me of what I think it would be like to see Paul Menard win races and.. you know.. smile every once in a while. Cept in a Toyoder.

Personally.. I don't like him. Not for anything having to do with driving.. he's a great driver... I just don't like his personality and attitude and the way he presents himself.

I don't hate the guy, I just don't wanna see him win. I don't wanna see any of the Gibbs cars win and he's basically a Gibbs car now. He's had his iffy moments (purposely ruining Stenhouse's Q lap at the Glen) but hey, who hasn't. I'm completely indifferent towards the guy. A solid "meh."

I'll give him this.. that was some great driving when he took the lead on that late restart at Kansas.. one of the best moves I think I've seen him pull off.

My perception of it is that everyone got used to him running mid pack for years. Similar to guys like Biffles, Newman, Burton, Kahne etc.. difference is those drivers had good starts to their career and Truex didn't.. So he never built much of a fan base.

Then all of a sudden FRR decided they would like to win stuff sometimes, switched to Gibbs Toyota equipment and began to do just that. Truex's head got big (deservedly so) and we started to see a lot more of him in interviews and being talked about by the guys in the booth etc...

IMO it's mostly that we never saw his passion before.. then he led most of the laps for like 20 races and didn't win anything.. so we got to see him act all 2017 Kyle Buschesque for a bit.. that doesn't help fan perception of him.. he's become a solid front of the field driver but I just don't think he has the fanbase most other drivers in that spot do.

Because of the slow start to his career most likely but also IMO he has shown in recent years his personality is just not one to be favored. He kind of reminds me of what I think it would be like to see Paul Menard win races and.. you know.. smile every once in a while. Cept in a Toyoder.

Personally.. I don't like him. Not for anything having to do with driving.. he's a great driver... I just don't like his personality and attitude and the way he presents himself.
98e3e47f1a9e2d7f30ae08a9bb30b7c3.jpg
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom