Will Jeff Gordon retire?

Before this season I would have said his retirement was close.... After watching him this yr however, I am going to give him 5 more seasons. He was FAST and still hasn't lost an ounce of passion (ask Brad K.) - All good things to see.

Don't know why folks keep saying that . Rick isn't about to give up on Kasey . That's not who Rick is . More likely , there may be some sort of crew chief shuffle .

Look at his options.

JR: Most popular driver, money making machine.
Gordon: Lifetime contract, can race as long as he wishes
JJ: Most successful driver in recent history.
KK: Um, he wins sometimes. Usually a 10th place driver at best.

So who is the weak link?

Right now , the weak link would be Chase . He doesn't have a cup ride right now . Very similar to the situation when Rick went out and got Kasey . Rick is going to find a place to park Chase for a year or two until a spot opens up. It will either be an existing GM team , (Stewart Haas or RCR) , or possibly a new GM team like JRM

In three years Jeff will be far removed from racing, and pursuing his true love of collecting butterflies.

If he does any TV work, look for an A&E reality show produced like Duck Dynasty. No beards, guns, overalls, or religion. The attire will be akin to an intellectual male version of Miss Janes bird watching attire.

In three years Jeff will be far removed from racing, and pursuing his true love of collecting butterflies.

If he does any TV work, look for an A&E reality show produced like Duck Dynasty. No beards, guns, overalls, or religion. The attire will be akin to an intellectual male version of Miss Janes bird watching attire.

And there will be no re-takes. We know Gordon does not like restarting anything.

Right now , the weak link would be Chase . He doesn't have a cup ride right now . Very similar to the situation when Rick went out and got Kasey . Rick is going to find a place to park Chase for a year or two until a spot opens up. It will either be an existing GM team , (Stewart Haas or RCR) , or possibly a new GM team like JRM

It may just come down to the way the money rolls, as much as good wheelmanship.

Chase is Napa Money, he might find Kasey a spot on one of his concubine teams, perhaps just a swap to the 42.

I agree . Nascar drivers don't normally do that well hosting TV shows . Generally , I'm not a fan of drivers as hosts or movie stars . I did love Benny Parsons ,and (to a lessor extent ).. Ned Jarrett . Someone else may come up with a name I can agree with , but I really can't come up with another . I seem to recall Neil Bonnett not being too bad , but I could be wrong. None of the current crop impress me at all.

Regardless of which team Chase drives for, his battles in Cup with Larson should be epic for years to come. Add in Ryan Blaney(maybe) and Bubba Wallace along with the already established Cup guys and the future is pretty bright.

FYI, the oldest NASCAR Cup Series champion ever was Bobby Allison, who won at 45 years, 11 months, and 17 days.

Regardless of which team Chase drives for, his battles in Cup with Larson should be epic for years to come. Add in Ryan Blaney(maybe) and Bubba Wallace along with the already established Cup guys and the future is pretty bright.

~thinks of Larson vs Chase.
~shivers.

I agree . Nascar drivers don't normally do that well hosting TV shows . Generally , I'm not a fan of drivers as hosts or movie stars . I did love Benny Parsons ,and (to a lessor extent ).. Ned Jarrett . Someone else may come up with a name I can agree with , but I really can't come up with another . I seem to recall Neil Bonnett not being too bad , but I could be wrong. None of the current crop impress me at all.

My thoughts are similar. Some have been very good, and I liked Neil Bonnett in the booth.

But when one is bad the over exposure is awful ex. Michael Waltrip, I liked him a lot better prior to entering the booth.

My thoughts are similar. Some have been very good, and I liked Neil Bonnett in the booth.

But when one is bad the over exposure is awful ex. Michael Waltrip, I liked him a lot better prior to entering the booth.

Rusty and Kenny both need to go too.

Network execs and sponsors seem to be a bit starstruck and are more than willing to overlook a lack of talent. Always amazes me that nobody has noticed that Bill Cower can't speak.

And there will be no re-takes. We know Gordon does not like restarting anything.
giphy.gif

Dumped Bowyer ending his chase then ran and hid like a lil girl, but heaven forbid someone races him for the win after he was dumb enough to take the outside on a GWC...lost whatever remaining respect I had for him

Must have been the same people that thought it was a good idea to give Lou Holtz a TV gig.

LOL

I've seen a mockup of Chase Elliott in a #94 Cup car making the rounds and people assuming Jeff is retiring. I believe that car is something they'll put Chase in for a few starts next year under the umbrella of another team. My guess is Jeff will race again in 2015 and see where he is in his career, much like he did this year, and decide on another year.

Hendrick is about to paint themselves into a corner unless Jeff helps them out. Kahne just signed an extension, but those can be broken. Junior isn't going anywhere. Johnson's contract expires after next season, no way Hendrick lets him go. If plans are to move Chase to Cup in '16, then either Gordon has to retire or Kahne has to be kicked to the curb.

Just not a Gordon fan, that makes me a troll? More like you're trolling me

I like how Dale Sr raced too...wonder boy was the beginning of the wave of the future of NASCAR. Brad K drives the most "old school" I think of the drivers out there..maybe larson, but he does not use the bumper enough...but he really holds it wide open old school like.

I regret to say this, and I like Jeff...but there will be more drivers like Jeff G and JJ than there will be drives like Dale Sr, I fear, in the future.

I like how Dale Sr raced too...wonder boy was the beginning of the wave of the future of NASCAR. Brad K drives the most "old school" I think of the drivers out there..maybe larson, but he does not use the bumper enough...but he really holds it wide open old school like.

I regret to say this, and I like Jeff...but there will be more drivers like Jeff G and JJ than there will be drives like Dale Sr, I fear, in the future.
Driving like Sr wont get you very far in today's racing. These cars are fragile & too aero dependant.

Driving like Sr wont get you very far in today's racing. These cars are fragile & too aero dependant.

You may be right....BUT....one thing driving like SR will do is... get you a punch in the face lol Still find it sad though. This is why I like Brad he will go for just about anything to win

Last edited:
You may be right....BUT....one thing driving like SR will do is... get you a punch in the face lols Stilol find it sad though. This is why I like Brad he will go for just about anything to win

Kes doesn't run over people, he races hard and races to win...Alot of these older arrogant drivers are kidding themselves.

Times has got to be tough for the National Enquirer. The Internet stole a lot of their thunder, with what kind of suggestive inflammatory non sense can we publish.

I imagine the N.E. weekly writers conference starting with "ok folks who has the kookiest headline this week. One to make their jaws drop while standing in the grocery store line".
Just remember to keep it suggestive only to keep Saul Goodman happy. The old friend of a freind untraceable sources are gold.
Might want to ask John Edwards how kooky their headline was about him. Didn't believe it for second at first, so even the NE can be right once in a while. Jeff will retire when he or the wife wants him to. Getting this close to a championship probably just refired the juices for him. Too many times though a champion will continue because they think that they have one more time left in them. Hope Jeff isn't one of them.

I hope i get to meet JEff Gordon one day but id love to see him win a last championship and reach 100 wins before he retires.

Before this season I would have said his retirement was close.... After watching him this yr however, I am going to give him 5 more seasons. He was FAST and still hasn't lost an ounce of passion (ask Brad K.) - All good things to see.

New rules and another new car next season with no testing. This could be a apart of what ever reason he uses to leave. Back pain will be a heavy contributor as well. I think Jeff will become the Number 2 at HMS in the publicity department.

Back
Top Bottom