YellaWood 500 at Talladega Superspeedway Pre-Race

Goodyear Fast Facts — Talladega​

SEPTEMBER 27, 2022 AT 6:01 PM

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 31 – 188 laps / 500 miles

Talladega Superspeedway (2.66-mile oval) – Talladega, Ala.
Fast Facts for October 1-2, 2022

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Superspeedway Radials

Set limits:
Cup: 1 set for qualifying and 7 sets for the race (6 race sets plus qualifying set)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5142; Right-side — D-5116

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,274 mm (89.53 in.); Right-side — 2,280 mm (89.76 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 28 psi; Left Rear — 28 psi;
Right Front — 52 psi; Right Rear — 50 psi

Storyline – Cup teams have tire strategy choices at Talladega: While tire wear has increased incrementally at Talladega Superspeedway over the years, NASCAR Cup teams will still have plenty of tire strategy calls to make this weekend. Gaining track position in the pits is an important part of the race, and teams will have the option to take four tires, two tires or fuel only in order to get aligned with teammates they want to work with on the track or simply get out of the pits quicker.

“This is the fourth superspeedway race we’ve had on this tire set-up this season and we’ve had good results in the first three,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “What we see at Talladega, as well as at Daytona, is teams being able to use tire strategy throughout the race to, depending on the situation, limit their time on pit road. With teams employing different strategies, it potentially jumbles up the field and leads to more passing, depending on the length of a run.”

Notes – Fourth superspeedway race on this tire set-up for Cup cars: Having moved to an 18-inch bead diameter tire for 2022, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series at Talladega this week . . . the Cup cars will run the same combination of left- and right-side tires that they ran at this track in April, as well as twice at Daytona this season . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2022.

NASCAR returns to Talladega Superspeedway in Lincoln, AL this week!

As a reminder, Lincoln is a municipality anchor with its own skyline:

View attachment 65281

:biggrin:

Lincoln, Alabama during the busy season:

broke down.jpg

Another concussion from a square rear impact. Not good.
Nope, not at all. It's not good that a square hit like that in the rear of the car is such an issue.

I hope the updates for next year address the issues. Lets make sure these drivers get back home with concussion-like or concussions.

I think many drivers will be counting down the races year until the end.

Can’t wait to see what Scott Miller and Steve Phelps have to say. Hitting harder at different angles. Going faster than ever before. It was known since last fall that the car was unsafe. We heard all about dead crash dummies and whatnot. I can’t blame the drivers for being so upset about this.

The Iceberg made a good video about this issue some weeks ago. A lot of drivers reported that they took their hardest hit ever during this season and multiple hits add up over the course of the year.

Reactions: Pat
Still 3 more high speed tracks to go too, who knows if this happens again smh.
I don't know if I'll even watch Talladega to be honest.

I'm nervous as heck for this race. My fiance and I are moving Saturday and I'll be glad to spend the day out and about.

I hate to be pessimistic, but someone is going to get hurt on Sunday, I would guess, and I hope it isn't serious.

I hope the drivers just run single file most of the race. The wrong impact could be catastrophic.

We have Kurt out. Ware with some ligament damage in his ankle and Bowman out with a concussion from what looks like a dainty impact?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

With mounting tire issues the past two weeks , now another driver concussed and the added stakes of a playoff race, I’m legit nervous for these fellas this weekend. You hope no one gets hurt.
I'm terrified to be honest. It feels like the likelihood of a driver getting injured in missing the rest of the season is almost guaranteed. I know I just said this, but I would be all for the drivers just striking, and running single file the entire race

Can’t wait to see what Scott Miller and Steve Phelps have to say. Hitting harder at different angles. Going faster than ever before. It was known since last fall that the car was unsafe. We heard all about dead crash dummies and whatnot. I can’t blame the drivers for being so upset about this.
I forgot all about the rumor crash test dummies.

They came out and denied and then said there was "Nothing alarming about the data"

Yet here we are

It's very concerning, didn't look like he hit hard at all.

Alex Bowman at the 1:20 mark... "I don't understand how this thing's still rolling. That's the hardest I've crashed anything in my entire life." Wow.

IIRC, a stated Next Gen design objective was to strengthen the driver's area for massive, extreme hits such as Ryan Newman took at Daytona. Newman survived, but only by the grace of God. I believe if that accident happened 10 times, the driver dies in nine of them.

So maybe... repeat, *maybe* I'm not claiming to be an expert... maybe what we are seeing is a by-product of that design objective... to give the driver a better chance in that extreme Daytona crash. If so, I'd argue that objective is misguided. You gotta be OK after the common, weekly hits in order for surviving the massive, exceptional hit to matter.

I don't approve of Noah Gragson stepping out of the Beard Motorsports #62 to hop in the 48 for Talladega. He has been the regular driver of the 62 for several years at plate tracks. They gave him that ride when he had nothing going on at all for Cup races. Sunday is his last contracted race with Beard, and I think he shoulda honored his deal with them.

Noah is also scheduled with Kaulig for Las Vegas, Homestead, Martinsville, and Phoenix. He should honor that schedule as well IMO.

This is very concerning and nascar can no longer turn a blind eye to it.

I have a degree in mechanical engineering however this stuff isn't really my wheelhouse. If I had to guess in the attempt to make the driver compartment protect the driver better they've made it too stiff. Crush zones are big in deceleration of a crash. That's why passenger cars now get completely destroyed and whether people want to believe seat belts need to stretch in an accident.

The problem is they've gone so far down this road that the solution won't be an easy one. But above all safety should have no price tag.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pat
I don't know if I'll even watch Talladega to be honest.

I'm nervous as heck for this race. My fiance and I are moving Saturday and I'll be glad to spend the day out and about.

I hate to be pessimistic, but someone is going to get hurt on Sunday, I would guess, and I hope it isn't serious.

I hope the drivers just run single file most of the race. The wrong impact could be catastrophic.

We have Kurt out. Ware with some ligament damage in his ankle and Bowman out with a concussion from what looks like a dainty impact?

I’ve had a bad feeling about this weekend as well tbh.

Can’t wait to see what Scott Miller and Steve Phelps have to say. Hitting harder at different angles. Going faster than ever before.
I still can’t believe the audacity of those comments, as if we can’t easily tell from telemetry that the cars are slower than several different eras of Cup racing, or as if we haven’t seen guys back a car into a wall before 2022.

I'm just throwing something out there and have definitely been wrong before but both Alex's and Kurt's crashes backed in and then slapped the wall right front. It seems like its the impacts in 2 different directions is what's really doing these guys in.

So is it a problem with the front or rear of the car?

Alex Bowman at the 1:20 mark... "I don't understand how this thing's still rolling. That's the hardest I've crashed anything in my entire life." Wow.

IIRC, a stated Next Gen design objective was to strengthen the driver's area for massive, extreme hits such as Ryan Newman took at Daytona. Newman survived, but only by the grace of God. I believe if that accident happened 10 times, the driver dies in nine of them.

So maybe... repeat, *maybe* I'm not claiming to be an expert... maybe what we are seeing is a by-product of that design objective... to give the driver a better chance in that extreme Daytona crash. If so, I'd argue that objective is misguided. You gotta be OK after the common, weekly hits in order for surviving the massive, exceptional hit to matter.

The rear corners/frame on the car were reinforced to protect the transaxle after the first race at the clash. The reinforcements were done because two transaxles failed because of impacts in the Clash race at the coliseum. So Kurt and now Alex have hit the worst/stiffest part of the car to have an accident at the rear corners and suffered concussions because of it.

The car just isn't absorbing energy, resulting in more being transferred to the driver

Sorry but you aren't allowed to express an opinion here unless you are one of the engineers that designed THIS chassis. Or a team owner that approved it's design.

The car just isn't absorbing energy, resulting in more being transfered to the driver

The extra reinforcing they added in the back of the car to protect the trans axle is transferring the force to the driver.
If the old car hit the wall in the back, the ass end would be crushed, knocked down and dragging the track because it was designed to take the force of the impact. Nascar has crash testing scheduled for next week.

1664498316651.png

Back
Top Bottom