2016 Indianapolis - Combat Wounded Coalition 400 - Pre Race Thread

^ Thanks. I'll take it with the proverbial grain of salt. But there is no doubt Brickyard 400 racing has often been less than thrilling, and the crowd has declined from what it used to be. Hope the 2016 rules help some.

I really can't recall a great Brickyard 400. The first one was good. A few others have been ok, but i cant think of a great one. Great moments maybe.

I've never been a big fan of this race on the schedule. It has such a storied tradition in open wheel racing. So much so that I feel we simply don't belong. There are only a few Cup races that stand out to me @ the Brickyard. The first one. Dale Earnhardt's victory there. Tony finally getting to climb the fence. And by far one of the worst races in the history of the sport, the great tire debacle. The racing there has never been exceptional.

NASCAR may look at this race as being one of its premier racing venues. I look at it as just another race on the schedule.

I wonder how the reduced down force package will work at Indy.

As for a prestigious race, I'm pretty sure every driver wants a win at Indy - even just driving the track would be something any driver would like to do.

I love this race. It's so technical. You have to turn to get the thing going down the straight. A perfect blend of handling and power. Love it. I won't be watching the stands or waiting for TV ratings on this one. I will be looking to see how my TRD powered Camrys turn and burn down the front straight. I suggest we get the bitching about the attendance and TV ratings out of the way now so that we can have a meaningful conversation about the race after it is done. Who's with me? Didn't think so.

I suggest we get the bitching about the attendance and TV ratings out of the way now so that we can have a meaningful conversation about the race after it is done. Who's with me?
Hear, hear! Good idea. The race threads tend to be such bitchfests that I don't see how those folks can be enjoying a race.

Someone on Reddit said Robin Miller. It may be true but I'm not 100% sure since Robin hates NASCAR and is probably chomping at the bit to brag about the attendance gap between the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400.

Don't trust people who hate NASCAR.
nope.gif

It'd be worth the 4 hour drive. Tickets start @ $45.

Hell, I'd leave right now with a stop over @ Eldora tonight.

If only I had time off available, I really do want to go to Eldora one of these years.....

I'm seriously considering the four-hour drive even though I hate Indy as a NASCAR track...

Do it!

$75 for good seats (J section, frontstretch near turn 4). Under $100 for a Sunday night stay in a decent hotel 10 minutes from the track (gotta stay Sunday, especially if it rains and runs Monday).

Every driver would like to win Monaco too, but that doesn't make it a good venue for stock cars.
Probably be a better race then Indy..

"Crown Royal presents the Combat Wounded Coalition 400"

Better than:

"Crown Royal presents the Curtiss Shaver 400 at the Brickyard Powered by Big Machine Records"

Or:

"ARCA Racing Series presented by RE/MAX and Menards"

"Lucas Oil 200 presented by MAVTV American Real"

Gotta help my pops move for about the 6th time in 5 years on Sunday. Goddammit!!!!!!!!!!!

They won't be back in those numbers but it will still be a very good crowd. I bet it's at least 3x the size of the Brickyard crowd.

I was talking to a co-ed of mine from Indiana and she told me a ton of her friends went to this year's Indy 500 because of the concert before the race.

One huge problem that this race has is that it follows one of the more exciting events of the season..... Eldora.

I wonder if some day the powers that be @ Indy will think that it's time to ask NASCAR to leave? Maybe it's time for NASCAR to be proactive. I'm not one of the empty seat counters. I'm only talking about the on track product. There's not much about that track that has an appeal to the average NASCAR fan. Obvious by its lack of support.

Back
Top Bottom