2016 Talladega - Alabama 500 - Pre Race Thread

I hope for Chase's sake that HMS brings the lower downforce setups back for this race. If you remember for the Daytona 500 both the 88 and 24 were the class of the field but had handling issues when back in traffic and wrecked. Same thing happened at Dega #1. Then at Daytona #2 they both specifically mentioned bringing cars with more downforce/better handling to compensate and guess what? They are mired back in the pack with no shot. Bring back the Amelia clones, they've got nothing to lose.

I hope for Chase's sake that HMS brings the lower downforce setups back for this race. If you remember for the Daytona 500 both the 88 and 24 were the class of the field but had handling issues when back in traffic and wrecked. Same thing happened at Dega #1. Then at Daytona #2 they both specifically mentioned bringing cars with more downforce/better handling to compensate and guess what? They are mired back in the pack with no shot. Bring back the Amelia clones, they've got nothing to lose.
Funny you mention that, I was at the July race and in the radio chatter Alan, Chase, and Eddie all were very happy with how the car was racing. But you're right, he was slow to make progress towards the front most of the night. I believe he got it up to 4th at one point briefly. He had a good car, but not a race winner.

Here we go. The one we've all been waiting for! (The waiting to complain about it for some people counts lol)

JMO but I think that some of the things people like about plate racing is that large groups of cars run nose to tail for most of the race and that you can be a mid-packer or worse and have a shot at winning or a career best finish. I also think the real or perceived sense of danger gets people on the edges of their seats and the long tracks and high banks mesmerize. I doubt any one on this forum likes to see wrecks but there is a strong contingent that tune in to see plate races because of the usual carnage that occurs.

The thing I don't care for is that all the cars are artificially kept together therefore making the race artificial in my eyes. I also think that is it absolutely crazy that a group of cars can ride around at the back deliberately for most of the race and then with about 15 to go drive up to the front. I absolutely hate the wrecks as even though Nascar has done a good job mandating safety improvements they take a step back into the stone age each time they go to a plate race. I cringe when I see cars getting hooked into the wall or riding along the catch fence, barrel rolling or getting T-Boned etc.

Different strokes for different folks as some people will believe they are watching a bona-fied sporting event and others will see the whole charade as a farce.

There's some good drivers in precarious positions. If winning would allow lock Keselowski out and let Dillon in, for example, that' s something drivers could take into account because you'd obviously rather race for a title against a non-competitor like Dillon than a former champ like Keselowski. I think there's way too much going on at Talladega for strategy like that though.

I differ from most on the theory of drivers knocking another out or preferring if one car wins over the other. IMO most drivers have their hands so full the only things they are really concerned about is listening to the spotter and CC, monitoring their own car and figuring out how to get around the next car in front of them.

3 wide @ Dega

CvEAhR_WAAAUNiz.jpg:large

Seeing Bobby Isaac or one of his cars always makes me smile.

JJ will be glued to the 24's bumper all day long and try to push him into a victory. Harvick is going to look for a great opportunity to wreck the field from 3rd or 4th place in hopes of collecting the toyotas and penske cars.

If I was JJ or Harvick I would do what dpk suggested and grenade the engine on the parade lap......or have a relief driver standing by.

I for one, choose to believe

Can I ask why? Not trying to he rude, but what has she ever done to prove she had that much potential compared to other drivers at this level? Other winless drivers such as Stenhouse, Chase, and Austin clearly have got the "it" factor and can wheel. Stenhouse is very good on dirt for example. But why "believe" in Danica?

Can I ask why? Not trying to he rude, but what has she ever done to prove she had that much potential compared to other drivers at this level? Other winless drivers such as Stenhouse, Chase, and Austin clearly have got the "it" factor and can wheel. Stenhouse is very good on dirt for example. But why "believe" in Danica?

She has the motivation, the drive. I feel that sports is a lot of mental attitude. Shes tough. Her Yoga helps keep her limber and she is strong. She has no give up in her.
She has improved and this year seems to be working with Billy quite well. She has background on speedways and has won in Indycar. She is comfortable with pack racing. She has won the 'tona pole. She has led laps at Dega. Some of the previous others have not done. Why not Danica? Why not. As I said, I choose to believe.

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to take a shot at DP, I was trying to bring down Skoalbandit's claim that plate races are crapshoots where seemingly anyone can win regardless of skill. If it had been Michael Annett my comment would have been the same.

The 10 team has as good a chance as any this weekend.
'Cause it's a plate race. ANYBODY can win a plate race by being in the right place at the right time, more so than any other form of racing except a rubber ducky regatta.

She's gonna need to have a wicked fast car as she gets hung out to dry more often than beef jerky at Dega and Daytona.
running in the top 15 the past few races I hope will help other drivers run with her

That's not true at all no matter how much you want to make your point.

There are so many variables at a plate race I never count anyone out until they are behind the wall. With different strategies employed and different agendas plus the wrecks I don't see why the 10 car doesn't have a good shot. The 21, 6 and 1 car do too, IMO.

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to take a shot at DP, I was trying to bring down Skoalbandit's claim that plate races are crapshoots where seemingly anyone can win regardless of skill. If it had been Michael Annett my comment would have been the same.

I think the very nature of plate races makes them a crap shoot as a driver can't really do things on his/her own, there are normally big wrecks that take out a large number of cars and you don't know when you will get hung out as I have seen many cars in the top 5 go back to 20th with seemingly just 100 feet to go. None of these things happen at non plate tracks.

By and large the winners on the Alabama real estate are guys who can and do win most anywhere else.

Look back to the DEI streak ‘til the race this past May.

She has the motivation, the drive. I feel that sports is a lot of mental attitude. Shes tough. Her Yoga helps keep her limber and she is strong. She has no give up in her.
She has improved and this year seems to be working with Billy quite well. She has background on speedways and has won in Indycar. She is comfortable with pack racing. She has won the 'tona pole. She has led laps at Dega. Some of the previous others have not done. Why not Danica? Why not. As I said, I choose to believe.

Thanks for the perspective.

I mean this respectfully, but to me, I'd rather just hear people like her for something like "she's hot" than to pull for her based on driver skill.

To me, she won one fuel mileage IRL race in multiple years of trying. She won a pole at Daytona which is 100% machine and 0% driver skill. Leading 16 laps at Talladega doesn't mean anything in my opinion. As far as her not giving up, I see the opposite. I see a driver that has hissy fits quite often and always points the finger at somebody else and is too busy flying off the handle to really put forth a winning effort.

Not being argumentative, just telling the other side and why she catches flack.

I mean this respectfully, but to me, I'd rather just hear people like her for something like "she's hot" than to pull for her based on driver skill.

To me, she won one fuel mileage IRL race in multiple years of trying. She won a pole at Daytona which is 100% machine and 0% driver skill. Leading 16 laps at Talladega doesn't mean anything in my opinion. As far as her not giving up, I see the opposite. I see a driver that has hissy fits quite often and always points the finger at somebody else and is too busy flying off the handle to really put forth a winning effort.

each to their own. Every driver is angry when things dont go their way...KyleBusch is a huge sissy...austin dillon....etc

Respect. Disagree with you, but thanks for being respectful.

Wednesday already and not one call to knock down the banking or banish it from the Chase. Where the heck is everyone?

Can't believe I'm saying this, but watch out for Austin Dillon. He's very good on plate tracks and could get into the next round and knock out some significant names.
I can believe it

Back
Top Bottom