CHASE talk goes here ----

No... not at all... but the point is it doesn't matter to me what the ratings are like.. not that I dont like to see them up. Obviously I want the sport to do better... but Im not worried enough to think it's going to not be on TV.. and as long as it is... Im fine with it regardless of who else is watching it.

He said that because you were the one who brought up the high ratings thing.

No... not at all... but the point is it doesn't matter to me what the ratings are like.. not that I dont like to see them up. Obviously I want the sport to do better... but Im not worried enough to think it's going to not be on TV.. and as long as it is... Im fine with it regardless of who else is watching it.

Ok, I got it :XXROFL:

Championships have to hold some sort of value, how in the world can we call someone a "champion" if overall they weren't the best driver over the "entire" season?

When we start ranking the greatest drivers of all time, IMO, any championship that was won during the Chase era is watered down compared to the previous championships.

I'm pretty sure Johnson, Stewart, Keselowski, and Kurt Busch would disagree with you.

NASCAR is a business, reliant on investor dollars. The business is failing. Sponsorship in the sport is on the decline. Viewer ratings are down. Attendance is down to the point that seating area at certain tracks is being reduced. Like it or not, the sport is slowly going away. Brian's BS (Chase) attempts to increase interest in the sport have failed miserably. The sport is dying, like it or not.

Phoenix is adding seats and will probably still sell out.................... I could live with 3 races a year. I do agree that Brian needs to stop

NASCAR is a business, reliant on investor dollars. The business is failing. Sponsorship in the sport is on the decline. Viewer ratings are down. Attendance is down to the point that seating area at certain tracks is being reduced. Like it or not, the sport is slowly going away. Brian's BS (Chase) attempts to increase interest in the sport have failed miserably. The sport is dying, like it or not.
oh you are so wrong, I can't count they ways. Nascar relies on Tv revenue, and revenue from the tracks and the realistate it owns. They get royalties for all the swank that is made and cuts from all the driver swank also. It is privately owned, does not sell shares of stock and does not have to declare publicly how much income of loss it makes. Wake up dude. hang your crepe all you want, but you are way off of the beam on your latest Nascar is dead wank.

wouldn't Gordon have advanced if a win didn't mean automatic advancement, he was actually tied in points with Harvick for 4th

The Chase has resulted in two straight track sellouts.........

This format is here to stay guys.

I think the novelty its still new and it has made for curiousity.

If 3 of the 4 guys wreck you can stick a fork in it.

Or if Newman wins it.

Or if Newman wins it.
Newman is @ par with Hamlin, so to me it looks about even. 4 spots, 2 of the best cars this year running and stat wise, and then 2 cars who have been less than stellar but get good finishes. i think it wouldn't be a bad thing if Newman did happen to win. don't get me wrong, his stats don't look top 4. other than 6 or 7 drivers, whos' does. 16 drivers, points reset, eliminations, for 9 races when it counted the most, he got it done, and if he happens to finish the highest of the 4, he deserves it. of course him being my driver has nothing to do with it, ;) just how i feel, and JMO.

oh you are so wrong, I can't count they ways. Nascar relies on Tv revenue, and revenue from the tracks and the realistate it owns. They get royalties for all the swank that is made and cuts from all the driver swank also. It is privately owned, does not sell shares of stock and does not have to declare publicly how much income of loss it makes. Wake up dude. hang your crepe all you want, but you are way off of the beam on your latest Nascar is dead wank.
Really? So TV networks, sponsors and fans aren't investing in NASCAR? I'm aware of where the money comes from, but thank you oh Great Sage of The Earth for your comment regarding my opinion of the latest Chase format. I never said, "NASCAR is dead."
Truth of the matter is that overall interest in the sport has been on the decline for over a decade. TV ratings and track attendance numbers don't lie. Some tracks have even reduced seating capacity.
"...ISC's stock is publicly traded but the company is controlled by France Kennedy and the rest of the billionaire France family, which also owns NASCAR..."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-isc-seats-20140827-story.html

Last edited:
The Chase has resulted in two straight track sellouts.........

This format is here to stay guys.
I kinda figured Homestead would sell out due to the Super Bowl nature of this year's event.

As for Phoenix, that place only has 67,000 seats, so it's a pretty easy sellout. There were probably that many people at Texas too, but since Texas has almost 200k seats, it looked bare.

I'm pretty sure Johnson, Stewart, Keselowski, and Kurt Busch would disagree with you.

They can disagree all they want to, I don't care, the truth is, just because you're the best driver over a 10 race period, does not automatically mean you're the best driver over the entire year.

They can disagree all they want to, I don't care, the truth is, just because you're the best driver over a 10 race period, does not automatically mean you're the best driver over the entire year.

it means you are the 2014 champion. But go ahead you can name whoever you want, old points, old chase, newer chase, throw tomatoes, or cry a river. :growl:

Really? So TV networks, sponsors and fans aren't investing in NASCAR? I'm aware of where the money comes from, but thank you oh Great Sage of The Earth for your comment regarding my opinion of the latest Chase format. I never said, "NASCAR is dead."
Truth of the matter is that overall interest in the sport has been on the decline for over a decade. TV ratings and track attendance numbers don't lie. Some tracks have even reduced seating capacity.
"...ISC's stock is publicly traded but the company is controlled by France Kennedy and the rest of the billionaire France family, which also owns NASCAR..."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-isc-seats-20140827-story.html

The sport is dying, like it or not.

Dead wrong.

it means you are the 2014 champion. But go ahead you can name whoever you want, old points, old chase, newer chase, throw tomatoes, or cry a river. :growl:

I've never said they wouldn't be the 2014 champion, what I've said is the value of a championship is just not what it used to be.

To me, a champion is someone that was the best driver of the year, that's the definition IMO. Truthfully, there is only one way to determine who the best driver throughout the year is.......

To me, a champion is someone that was the best driver of the year, that's the definition IMO. Truthfully, there is only one way to determine who the best driver throughout the year is.......
I think we are now on our 14th way of determining who the 'Best Driver of the Year' is since the sport began. One thing that I am sure of is that we will never all agree on how that is determined.

If Gordon wins the race, and Newman wins the "championship", Brian France's head might explode.

As will mine.

Theoretically speaking of course.

If Gordon wins the race, and Newman wins the "championship", Brian France's head might explode.

As will mine.

Theoretically speaking of course.
I like Newman and don't have a huge problem with him being there, however I will admit that it's a little ironic that he's winless and going for a championship while four drivers with 4+ wins are on the outside looking in.

I'm so surprised, I thought we would have nothing but happy endings, nobody would have any problems making the chase, and everybody's favorite driver would win it all and nobody would be unhappy and mad and sad.

I actually really like this. I LOVE the two trophy idea. Let the Sprint Cup Champion be the regular season points champion. Lets have another title. It makes European soccer watchable all year even if your team wasn't going to win the regular season title. There's something else to compete for.

http://beyondtheflag.com/2014/11/12/nascar-make-chase-perfect/
I don't know if I'd like the two trophy thing. I used to hate it in college football when they'd have Co-National Champions, seems to me this would be kind of the same thing. Love or hate the new format, I think there still needs to be just one champ.

None of the formats for crowning a Nascar Cup Champion have ever made every fan happy, nor were they expected to achieve that.

One of the big differences I'm seeing is that before the Chase, no one argued (within reason) about the validity of the champ no matter if they loved or hated him. Now, we can all invent ways for our driver to "should have" been holding the cup and we run with it. We all know that it'll never make a difference but we are most certainly entitled to see it that way. Basically, if you want to accept it, do so and if you don't , well, don't. It's not costing me anything either way :)

Today, we can all have our own champion of our own choosing so shouldn't that make every one happy? Has Brian France finally done it and just needs to now convince the fans?

Thought maybe those who are no longer interested in the finish at homestead would be willing to test another point system, even though the racers would race differently!!!:D:D:D

Formula 1 Point system:

The top ten finishers in each Grand Prix score points towards both the drivers’ and the constructors’ world championships, according to the following scale:

1st : 25 points
2nd : 18 points
3rd : 15 points
4th : 12 points
5th : 10 points
6th : 8 points
7th : 6 points
8th : 4 points
9th : 2 points
10th : 1 point

I don't expect the F1 points system to be any more welcomed into Nascar circles than are F1 drivers. lol

Thought maybe those who are no longer interested in the finish at homestead would be willing to test another point system, even though the racers would race differently!!!:D:D:D

Formula 1 Point system:

The top ten finishers in each Grand Prix score points towards both the drivers’ and the constructors’ world championships, according to the following scale:

1st : 25 points
2nd : 18 points
3rd : 15 points
4th : 12 points
5th : 10 points
6th : 8 points
7th : 6 points
8th : 4 points
9th : 2 points
10th : 1 point

This system will provide incentive to win ................ nascar needs that

Newman is @ par with Hamlin, so to me it looks about even. 4 spots, 2 of the best cars this year running and stat wise, and then 2 cars who have been less than stellar but get good finishes. i think it wouldn't be a bad thing if Newman did happen to win. don't get me wrong, his stats don't look top 4. other than 6 or 7 drivers, whos' does. 16 drivers, points reset, eliminations, for 9 races when it counted the most, he got it done, and if he happens to finish the highest of the 4, he deserves it. of course him being my driver has nothing to do with it, ;) just how i feel, and JMO.

You are right, pudge.

I guess that win really hides his weak year. I had no idea he has almost the same stats as Newman.

Looking at the last 10 races. He hadn't even had a top 5 until Phoenix last week. Geez louis, what a mess.

Back
Top Bottom