CHASE talk goes here ----

So Gordon is eligible for the championship by:

The FIA point system
The IndyCar point system
The NASCAR point system

But not the Chase point system.

I'm getting a headache. I love this Chase format but damn.
Here's the one I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around:

Hendrick Motorsports: 13 wins, 0 drivers elligible for the championship.

Richard Childress Racing: 0 wins, 1 driver eligible for the championship.

Believe me, I'm not complaining about no HMS cars in the final four, I'll take it. But this is a bit of a head scratcher.

PS: Hey Bryan, note to self, when I get ready to 'Tweak' the chase format next season, instead of having to deal with all that ' rithmatic' to decide who's in & who's out of the chase, let's just play spin the bottle and the first '20' drivers it hits on are in and let everyone else go home. It would be more fair that way cause then we don't have to worry bout maybe one of those non- chasers with a bone to pick taken out one of the' Golden Chosen ' and messin up your whole system. That would be about as fair way to crown a champ as your current joke of a way to crown one!!

As far as the racing being better, the racing was already getting better with the new car.

I think the racing could be really really good next year. The horsepower reduction was for tire management. Lowering downforce was for aero push management. It could be a perfect storm that makes even the 1.5s good.

I think the new Chase format is a double-edged sword. It may result in new fans but I doubt they'll have the attention span to become dedicated, long term fans, so they won't be here long. And, there are old school veteran fans that will throw their hands in the air in defeat and discontinue their interest in the sport.
The new Chase format is nothing but a tiny band-aid on a severed carotid artery. JMO, of course.
I'll continue to follow the sport until I become completely uninterested. Then I'll have more time to build more cars. :)
Life is good.

Like I said earlier. I love Nascar. Ill watch it til they completely kill it. I might not watch like i used to . (Not missing a single event)
Chase no chase don't really matter to me, I really only have a hard time with the concept of the term champion. We used to call them champ because thru 36 sundays of battling it out with 43 others they were the best. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Now we cant say that. Oh well i will adjust.

As far as the racing being better, the racing was already getting better with the new car.
Yep. I honestly think that the racing has been really good for the last several years - at least since 2011 or so. I don't think that this new Chase miraculously made it go from bad to amazing.

Bill France Sr. & Jr. Have gotta be spinnin like tops in their graves. Sure didn't take long for Bryan to destroy any credibility NASCAR ever had. Every seasoned nascar fan I know, thought from the time this ' new' ( as in every yr. a change) format , was announced that it was a 'horrible' idea. How do you possibly rate current champs with the old champions of the sport? They have cheapened it beyond belief. If this is their answer to falling tv ratings and no fannys in the seats then they are truly delusional. Have you noticed how race coverage hardly ever show views of stands anymore? Texas looked about 1/4 full to me. If this new 'tweak' is so great how come tv ratings are still declining?
There's nothing wrong with Nascar that a roll - back of ridiculous ticket prices and a return to the 'old points system' wouldn't cure but if they think they can 'grow ' this sport without the support of traditional nascar fans , they are crazier than I already thought they were. The old Nascar leadership was in touch with the real fan. Bryan France his running the family 'biznez' down a sinkhole .

You're preacin to the choir Cdub . You must be over age 16 . All the kids love the new 'luck in and win' system.
By the way , does everyone in Ky spell their w's ? Oh and welcome man, WELCOME

nascar position on chase arguments ??

" some of ya been talkin bad about us.........others have been talkin good "
" we're fine w/ either........long as ya both keep talkin ! " :D

Pull for the 48 but if Gordon doesn't belong in the chase this year no one does. This is the worst points system ever. If emphasis is on winning then wth is up with the final four? A complete travesty.

If Newman wins the chase it will be a travesty. He has not done anything all year long. Not a fan of this points system.

If Newman wins the chase it will be a travesty. He has not done anything all year long. Not a fan of this points system.

I'd include Kenseth in that statement too.
No way is he worthy of the championship this year.

#nascaraffimativeaction

I hope Gordon drives with wreckess abandon and pisses of atleast one chase driver. Purely for my own entertainment.

I hope Gordon drives with wreckess abandon and pisses of atleast one chase driver. Purely for my own entertainment.

I'm pulling for Morgan Shepherd to get a replacement ride in one of the back-marker cars...drive it to the front...avoid cats, squirrels, and skunks running across the track and sneak out the win when Harvick's car has to avoid a thrown shoe (meant for Danica in third)....then a big fight. :D

I'll be watching football today while I boycott Brian's little circus. :)

Thing is - they need a rule like at the Master's Golf Tournament - top whatever # and anybody within a certain points total to the lead (basically anybody who could realistically win)...gets to be in it to win.

Do I have to explain EVERYTHING to France?

Here's a different take on who "deserves" to win the championship and who doesn't...Kevin Harvick is the best all around driver on all the types of tracks on which races are held. Therefore, he's my pick for the most deserving.

Hamlin wins the race and the cup today.

My only problem with the new format is you only need a win to get in. You can crash out or just plain suck the rest of the year and you are guaranteed to be in the chase, this needs to change.

My only problem with the new format is you only need a win to get in. You can crash out or just plain suck the rest of the year and you are guaranteed to be in the chase, this needs to change.
Pretty sure if you do to bad you miss the top 30. Some of the chasers almost did miss getting one.

Small season review:
Brad Kez - 6 wins, 17 top 5's, 20 top 10's, 1 DNF
K Harvick - 5 wins, 14 top 5's, 20 top 10's, 2 DNF's
K Harvick - Champion
Seems legitimate o_O
Someone's abacus is missing a couple of beads.

good deal, can't wait for you guys to go straighten out football and baseball next....basketball, ...hockey...little league.

So, this is my final thought on The Chase. It can't be denied that the racing has improved this year, with the exception of Phoenix 2 and Homestead which TBH were snore fest due to the high volume of cautions. My other problem with Homestead is that the battle between Harvick, Hamlin, Logano, and Newman felt artificial.

That's honestly one of the big glaring problems I have with this new format. The excitement, the drama, all of it, etc. Just felt really really artificial. I honestly had no problem with the eliminations since that's what the fans and Jayski were doing anyways under the old Chase format. I think the artificiality came from the points reset. There is no logical reason to reset the points as often as they did during this season aside from creating drama.

As for the on-track product, while it has improved, I really don't know if that's because of the new Chase format, or if it's because of the 2014 rule package that came out for the Gen6 cars. While there were some instances where drivers drove because of The Chase (Newman moving Larson out of the way in Phoenix 2), I'm really hesitant to say that the new Chase format is the sole reason the on track product improved this season.

Those are my two cents.

So, this is my final thought on The Chase. It can't be denied that the racing has improved this year, with the exception of Phoenix 2 and Homestead which TBH were snore fest due to the high volume of cautions. My other problem with Homestead is that the battle between Harvick, Hamlin, Logano, and Newman felt artificial.

That's honestly one of the big glaring problems I have with this new format. The excitement, the drama, all of it, etc. Just felt really really artificial. I honestly had no problem with the eliminations since that's what the fans and Jayski were doing anyways under the old Chase format. I think the artificiality came from the points reset. There is no logical reason to reset the points as often as they did during this season aside from creating drama.

As for the on-track product, while it has improved, I really don't know if that's because of the new Chase format, or if it's because of the 2014 rule package that came out for the Gen6 cars. While there were some instances where drivers drove because of The Chase (Newman moving Larson out of the way in Phoenix 2), I'm really hesitant to say that the new Chase format is the sole reason the on track product improved this season.

Those are my two cents.
Well said.

Those are my two cents.
I agree, the Gen 6 is the reason for the improvement in on-track excitement.
The part that pisses me off is that the new Chase format attempts to manipulate the fanbase into believing in gimmicks. Some of us did not fall for it.

This is the 7th year Gordon had outscored everyone else over the entirety of the season. The only other drivers to accomplish that same feat are Dale Earnhardt & Richard Petty. Congrats to Jeff ;)

image.jpg

Can I have a link to this?
No link, just did some quick math:
1. Jeff Gordon 1,253
2. Joey Logano 1,216 (-37)
3. Brad Keselowski 1,179 (-74)
4. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. 1,175 (-78)
5. Kevin Harvick 1,171 (-82)
6. Ryan Newman 1,135 (-118)
7. Matt Kenseth 1,131 (-122)
8. Kyle Larson 1,080 (-173)
9. Jimmie Johnson 1,067 (-186)