CHASE talk goes here ----

I'd keep the reset, but with bonus points for wins carried through Phoenix, as well as additional bonus points for winning Chase races.

The only purpose of the points reset is to create artificial drama. You can still get drama with the elimination rounds.

I think they're onto something with this format, points should be the heavy weighted end to the championship as wins can come in many unpredictable ways and don't always tell the whole story of a race.

For those like me that do not like The Chase, here's the real Champion...

• Unofficial Top 25 in 2014 Sprint Cup Driver Points Standings (not the Chase):
    [after Homestead, race 36 of 36]
    (using current points system, but not the Chase rules, unofficial)
    1) #24-Jeff Gordon(EC), 1253
    2) #22-Joey Logano(C4), 1216, -37
    3) #2-Brad Keselowski(EC), 1179, -74
    4) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr.(EC), 1175, -78
    5) #4-Kevin Harvick(CH), 1171, -82
    6) #31-Ryan Newman(C2), 1136, -117
    7) #20-Matt Kenseth(EC), 1131, -122
    8) #42-Kyle Larson #, 1080, -173
    9) #48-Jimmie Johnson(EC), 1067, -186
    10) #99-Carl Edwards(EC), 1059, -194
    11) #1-Jamie McMurray, 1014, -239
    12) #16-Greg Biffle(EC), 1000, -253
    13) #11-Denny Hamlin(C3), 987, -266 (missed a races)
    14) #15-Clint Bowyer, 979, -274
    15) #18-Kyle Busch(EC), 969, -284
    16) #5-Kasey Kahne(EC), 966, -287
    17) #3-Austin Dillon #, 958, -295
    18) #27-Paul Menard, 944, -309
    19) #55-Brian Vickers, 921, -332
    20) #41-Kurt Busch(EC), 911, -342
    21) #9-Marcos Ambrose, 872, -381
    22) #47-AJ Allmendinger(EC), 868, -385
    23) #78-Martin Truex Jr., 857, -396
    24) #43-Aric Almirola(EC), 820, -433
    25) #14-Tony Stewart, 799, -454 (missed 3 races)
    (CH is the 2014 Sprint Cup Series Champion)
    (C# is chase driver and current Chase position)
    (EC is chase driver that has been eliminated from the Chase)
    (11-16-2014)

Interesting that Kyle Larson finished 16 spots ahead of Aric Almirola in the non-Chase standings, but one spot behind him in the actual standings.

The "REAL CHAMPION" brought the trophy home last night. Just the facts, everything else is like you're aunt having nuggets cause then she'd be you're uncle.

Their stats don't work anymore Wingnut, they're in withdrawal, painful for some. I hope they can move on to stick n ball and work together to change all that division and wild card manufacturing drama B.S. that has been going on over there for years.:blush:

I have no problem crowning a champion with a playoff style formula. It provided a lot of excitement. But the list that is significant to me (and probably historians) is the one BobbyFord posted above.

One thing I noticed during the race was how close most of the chase contenders ran throughout the race. With 20 to go all four were nose to tail and that seemed unusual to me. A colleague pointed out that the other drivers were probably giving them a lot more space than a typical race. That seems like a good explanation because a conspiracy theory would be bad.

I have no problem crowning a champion with a playoff style formula. It provided a lot of excitement. But the list that is significant to me (and probably historians) is the one BobbyFord posted above.
14. Yep, 14. No, not Tony Stewart. We are on the 14th version of NASCAR's points system. 10 of those versions were calculated from the inception of NASCAR until the inception of the Chase. Do NASCAR historians go back and calculate the finishes today under all 10 of those formats to write in the NASCAR history books. No. No they don't. I think that the NASCAR historians will be writing about the 2014 Champion, Kevin Harvick. Of course, this is all just a guess on my part. :D

Now that we've seen the new Chase in action and, with it, the most exciting stretch of races in NASCAR history, all I can say is: Home run, NASCAR!

For those of you who don't like the new Chase, go watch golf.

For those like me that do not like The Chase, here's the real Champion...

635517628403906188-USP-NASCAR--Ford-Ecoboost-400.6.jpg

NASCAR has a new cheap, dirty feeling. I feel like I need a shower.
IMO, The Chase and resetting the points had nothing to do with the excitement. At least, for me.
IMO, the Gen6 is the reason for the competitive racing.

Ok? Thats a nice picture of Kevin Harvick holding a Manufactured Championship Trophy.

Harvick won the championship, the real championship.

Gordon could've won the championship if he didn't choke in Texas or had a set of balls at Phoenix.

Kevin Harvick: 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion.

Deal with it.

Dividing an overall fanbase would not be on my "Ways To Improve Ratings and Attendance" list.
IMO, this will have a negative impact on ratings next year. Time will tell.
I'm obligated already for 2015 because I've already purchased tickets but after 2015 the fatboy buys no more lobster on my coin.

Harvick won the championship, the real championship.

Gordon could've won the championship if he didn't choke in Texas or had a set of balls at Phoenix.

Kevin Harvick: 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion.

Deal with it.
Harvick is the 2014 NASCAR Champion. Thanks for highlighting the obvious.

Imo, The chase is & always has been manufactured drama & a farce of a racing points system.

No matter Jeff's bad finish @ Texas and not winning at Phoenix, he still outscored everyone else over the entire season by 37 points.

The only 3 drivers to ever outscore everyone over the whole season 7 times are Petty, Earnhardt & Gordon.

Deal with it.

NASCAR has a new cheap, dirty feeling. I feel like I need a shower.
IMO, The Chase and resetting the points had nothing to do with the excitement. At least, for me.
IMO, the Gen6 is the reason for the competitive racing.

Whereas you felt like you needed a shower, I felt like I needed something to relieve a queasy stomach after watching yesterday's spectacle.

***Insert Pepto-Bismol image here***

As much as I wanted to go along with the new Chase format where, like in other sports, the contender who performs best in the last event of the season is declared champion, it just didn't work for me.

Somehow I think I'll be following the Nationwide & Craftsman Series much closer next year.

Harvick is the 2014 NASCAR Champion. Thanks for highlighting the obvious.

Imo, The chase is & always has been manufactured drama & a farce of a racing points system.

No matter Jeff's bad finish @ Texas and not winning at Phoenix, he still outscored everyone else over the entire season by 37 points.

The only 3 drivers to ever outscore everyone over the whole season 7 times are Petty, Earnhardt & Gordon.

Deal with it.
Don't try to inject logic and realism into this. That's just crazy talk.

I wanted Newman to win the Championship based on his solid work this year. The best driver for 2014 won but since there are no passing points he couldn't pad the score. Loser's always whine and find something to complain about, it's in their DNA.

Jeff is in 6th place..looks like you have to deal with it.:D

Where do you come up with this ****? No one was talking about a certain driver. We are talking about the Chase. Try and keep up, Kirk.

Last edited:
I'm not denying that Harvick is the 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, he won the title fair and square under the rules in place. But we are allowed to speculate. For the pro-chasers who fly off the handle everytime someone post standings under an alternate format, you can thank Brian France for having 5 different championship formats in a 12 year timespan. Without that, none of our speculation would be possible.

Back
Top Bottom