CHASE talk goes here ----

I'm not denying that Harvick is the 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, he won the title fair and square under the rules in place. But we are allowed to speculate. For the pro-chasers who fly off the handle everytime someone post standings under an alternate format, you can thank Brian France for having 5 different championship formats in a 12 year timespan. Without that, none of our speculation would be possible.
POTY

Harvick is the 2014 NASCAR Champion. Thanks for highlighting the obvious.

Imo, The chase is & always has been manufactured drama & a farce of a racing points system.

No matter Jeff's bad finish @ Texas and not winning at Phoenix, he still outscored everyone else over the entire season by 37 points.

The only 3 drivers to ever outscore everyone over the whole season 7 times are Petty, Earnhardt & Gordon.

Deal with it.

Looks to me like Harvick outscored everyone seeing as he won the championship. Deal with it.

I think here on RF, we have a pretty even distribution. There's about 1/3 of us who really love the new chase, about 1/3 us who absolutely hate it, and about 1/3 who don't really like it, but realize it's what we're stuck with and have accepted it.
Someone give this man a t-shirt

e6u4ok.gif

If you really wanna see some chase-bashing, go out on Fox Sports' Facebook page.

I think here on RF, we have a pretty even distribution. There's about 1/3 of us who really love the new chase, about 1/3 us who absolutely hate it, and about 1/3 who don't really like it, but realize it's what we're stuck with and have accepted it.
I'm not accepting it. 2015 is going to be it for me. Only because I have tickets. But that's over in March. Then y'all gonna have to find someone else to kick 'round. :)

I'm not accepting it. 2015 is going to be it for me. Only because I have tickets. But that's over in March. Then y'all gonna have to find someone else to kick 'round. :)
Don't lose hope Bobby, formats can and do change. Remember how enamored everyone was after the first year of the last format, when Tony and Carl tied for the championship? Who would have thought then that that format would be scrapped just two years later?

Don't lose hope Bobby, formats can and do change. Remember how enamored everyone was after the first year of the last format, when Tony and Carl tied for the championship? Who would have thought then that that format would be scrapped just two years later?
I've never liked any Chase format. If this elimination BS is still around in any way, shape or form then I'm done following NASCAR. It's simply not enjoyable for me. I may watch a race from time to time but not the whole season, maybe just the short tracks and road courses. I already don't care about qualifying. It doesn't matter to me now who becomes champion under a silly point format so there's not much to enjoy about it anymore. Why waste time following 36 races when the guy that earns the most points throughout the year isn't champion? Doesn't make sense to me. It's not worth it anymore.

I've never liked any Chase format. If this elimination BS is still around in any way, shape or form then I'm done following NASCAR. It's simply not enjoyable for me. I may watch a race from time to time but not the whole season, maybe just the short tracks and road courses. I already don't care about qualifying. It doesn't matter to me now who becomes champion under a silly point format so there's not much to enjoy about it anymore. Why waste time following 36 races when the guy that earns the most points throughout the year isn't champion? Doesn't make sense to me. It's not worth it anymore.

I agree with most of your post, if not all. I have been a Nascar fan for many years but have slowly lost interest in the racing due to the rule changes. Hell, why don't they just flip a coin at the season end to determine the champion. Yeah, I will keep watching races like Martinsville, Bristol, etc but my days watching every race is through. When someone like Newman can be that close to a Championship, I just shake my head.

It's difficult to admit because I used to really love this sport. It's been ruined and I can't fool myself into believing that it hasn't.

Just think how much it would have sucked if Chase Elliott did not win the NNS Championship because he got in the fence and finished 17th at Homestead.

If we went by you guys' logic, Kyle busch would be a Seven time nationwide champ because he dominates each and every week. The nationwide title is just as gimmicky because the champ is usually the 4th or 5th best team/driver that year in the series. Kyle busch, brad keselowski, Kevin harvick, and Kyle Larson would all be ahead of him

If we went by you guys' logic, Kyle busch would be a Seven time nationwide champ because he dominates each and every week. The nationwide title is just as gimmicky because the champ is usually the 4th or 5th best team/driver that year in the series. Kyle busch, brad keselowski, Kevin harvick, and Kyle Larson would all be ahead of him
If the Cuppers would stay out of the NW series, that wouldn't be the case - but that's an entirely different debate.

Except Cup drivers are ineligible to win the NNS Championship...:confused:

If i was you i would leave now, leave the forums and move on! That will show them!

While Kevin Harvick did in fact win the championship with the rules in place, his championship does feel less legitimate than anyone else's that I can ever remember. I think Nascar had a home run with the system in place from 2011-13. It was still a legitimate way of determining a championship while maintaining a high level of excitement. The Chase usually came down to the best 2 drivers throughout the season battling for 10 races. Now it's ridiculous. Kevin Harvick truly does not feel like a legitimate champion to me.

While Kevin Harvick did in fact win the championship with the rules in place, his championship does feel less legitimate than anyone else's that I can ever remember. I think Nascar had a home run with the system in place from 2011-13. It was still a legitimate way of determining a championship while maintaining a high level of excitement. The Chase usually came down to the best 2 drivers throughout the season battling for 10 races. Now it's ridiculous. Kevin Harvick truly does not feel like a legitimate champion to me.
Agreed on the 2011-2013 Chase.

As for Harvick, he's been on both sides of the Chase deal. He's been "screwed" by it in the past and has now benefited from it. Even as a moderate anti-Chaser, I consider him to be a worthy, deserving champion.

Agreed on the 2011-2013 Chase.

As for Harvick, he's been on both sides of the Chase deal. He's been "screwed" by it in the past and has now benefited from it. Even as a moderate anti-Chaser, I consider him to be a worthy, deserving champion.
Same here. I can't crap on Harvick's championship too much, because he did win 5 races and led a ton of laps this year. But he was also pretty inconsistent, seems like he finished 1st, 2nd, or 40th every week. Still, Hamlin or Newman would have seemed far less legitimate as a champion than Harvick.

14. Yep, 14. No, not Tony Stewart. We are on the 14th version of NASCAR's points system. 10 of those versions were calculated from the inception of NASCAR until the inception of the Chase. Do NASCAR historians go back and calculate the finishes today under all 10 of those formats to write in the NASCAR history books. No. No they don't. I think that the NASCAR historians will be writing about the 2014 Champion, Kevin Harvick. Of course, this is all just a guess on my part. :D
What's weird to me they all seem to use the point system that never existed. NASCAR didn't use the 1 point difference before the chase. They made up a 15th different version of the system

What's weird to me they all seem to use the point system that never existed. NASCAR didn't use the 1 point difference before the chase. They made up a 15th different version of the system
We all do what we've gotta do. Behind the scenes I've been working on my own points system. I've been trying to create one that would give my driver the 2014 Championship. Mine goes stricly off of points earned throughout the season. The driver with the most points is declared the Champion. So far, the only one that has worked out to my driver's advantage is when I give the Daytona 500 winner, both Pocono race winners, & the fall Martinsville race winner a 10,000 point bonus for each of those wins. Under my system, my driver crushed the competition. I'm currently celebrating his first Sprint Cup Championship season. I'm kinda thinking that you might back my all new points system. :cool:

We all do what we've gotta do. Behind the scenes I've been working on my own points system. I've been trying to create one that would give my driver the 2014 Championship. Mine goes stricly off of points earned throughout the season. The driver with the most points is declared the Champion. So far, the only one that has worked out to my driver's advantage is when I give the Daytona 500 winner, both Pocono race winners, & the fall Martinsville race winner a 10,000 point bonus for each of those wins. Under my system, my driver crushed the competition. I'm currently celebrating his first Sprint Cup Championship season. I'm kinda thinking that you might back my all new points system. :cool:
I think it's been a common misconception that anybody who doesn't like the new chase only dislikes it because their driver got screwed by it. While that may be the case for some, it's not the case for all. A lot of people don't like it simply because of all its fundamental flaws.

Back
Top Bottom