Don't shoot the messenger

However if Matt sticks around another 2-3 years and William Byron continues his tear in the trucks and xfinity series then some hard decisions have to be made.
I'm not aware of any evidence that William Byron is "the property of" Gibbs or Toyota via long term contract, are you? Byron's deal with Kyle Busch could be just a typical rent-a-ride, leaving the young man a free agent looking for his next step up the ladder.

I'm not aware of any evidence that William Byron is "the property of" Gibbs or Toyota via long term contract, are you? Byron's deal with Kyle Busch could be just a typical rent-a-ride, leaving the young man a free agent looking for his next step up the ladder.
I've been trying to find that out myself. Honestly, I think I is a one year deal, but I'm not sure.

I doubt FRR will go to 3 cars any time soon. The next Toyota spot to open up will be the 20 for sure. It depends on timing to see who will fill it. If Matt retires after next year that spot is Suarez's no doubt. He'd be the most accomplished 'yoda development driver at that point. However if Matt sticks around another 2-3 years and William Byron continues his tear in the trucks and xfinity series then some hard decisions have to be made.

Matt will leave when he wants to which could mean a couple of more years at least. Suarez (and his sponsors) will get impatient. Barney Visser has been very clear that expansion must come with some cash. Suarez has that. TRD wants an 8 car fleet to legitimately contend for the Manufacturer's Title. If Matt goes in a couple of years, Jones goes there, and Suarez gets the FRR seat. If Matt hangs on, look for the three car FRR team which Suarez's money could easily fund. That would give TRD/Toyota seven cars with still room for one more at FRR. I think that TRD/Toyota likes the idea of meeting their car count goal with two teams who have communication/culture already established. I believe that part of what attracted FRR to Toyota was the JGR alliance of course, and the potential for expansion with the assistance of Toyota and Gibbs marketing resources.

William Byron is pretty new to racing in general. He is a few years off IMO. I don't think there is a rush there. He needs to climb the latter a bit. Chris Bell is in the same boat. Probably have three years or so on those guys.

I've been trying to find that out myself. Honestly, I think I is a one year deal, but I'm not sure.

I don't think anybody knows anything for sure about any driver, honestly. These contracts are pretty hush hush. However, I will say that David Wilson had said repeatedly that Erik Jones was going to be in a Toyota for a very long time. That's as close to confirmation about any driver I have ever heard.

Suarez to the 20 wouldn't surprise me at all. He has more financial backing than anybody in the sport via Groupo Carso. Money rules the sport and if Daniel and his backers want to be in the 20 car than they can write a big enough check to get into the 20 car.

What would Toyota care if Erik was in an FRR seat permanently? Toyota wants to see Camrys in victory lane, period. If anything I think that putting Erik at FRR makes them look more committed to expansion than insisting that JGR is the "real" team and FRR is secondary.

Honestly guys...I don't know that Furniture Row has anything to announce tomorrow. When enough time passes, I'll post more about what's been going on behind the scenes of this second car deal. It's been a hot mess.

Trying to put aside my Kenseth bias, I expect him to sign at least one more contract. Unlike Gordon, Stewart, and Earnhardt, Matt is in pretty good condition and running competitively.

Obviously, I don't know squat and he could prove me wrong at any time.

Honestly guys...I don't know that Furniture Row has anything to announce tomorrow. When enough time passes, I'll post more about what's been going on behind the scenes of this second car deal. It's been a hot mess.

I've wondered, is being based in Colorado one of the factors that makes putting together deals tough?

Any thoughts on if they would ever relocate to NC?

I've wondered, is being based in Colorado one of the factors that makes putting together deals tough?

Any thoughts on if they would ever relocate to NC?

Double edged sword.....Being in Denver helps in the prevention of poaching while it is somewhat difficult to draw talent I would imagine. David Wilson has suggested the same thing in keeping TRD in Costa Mesa.

Not to mention Colorado is a hot spot where people want to be right now. If anything it could be a draw for many people.

Is it really ?

Colorado cities are frequently named in "Best Places to Live" articles. Especially popular with athletic types. Huge craft beer scene too.

Oh, and there's that legal weed thing...

I think Suarez is the obvious choice to get the FRR seat . He's an up and coming young racer with a Fortune 500 type sponsor . Probably one of the bigger sponsors to come into the sport in a long time . It would be a heck of a coup for Barney to lasso that combo. And it would solidify that team for many years. Sorry for those who have Erik as a sentimental Favorite .

I think Suarez is the obvious choice to get the FRR seat . He's an up and coming young racer with a Fortune 500 type sponsor . Probably one of the bigger sponsors to come into the sport in a long time . It would be a heck of a coup for Barney to lasso that combo. And it would solidify that team for many years. Sorry for those who have Erik as a sentimental Favorite .

Ultimately you need the resources to keep the lights on so your point makes sense.

Not to mention Colorado is a hot spot where people want to be right now. If anything it could be a draw for many people.

Yeah, but most of those guys are set up in NC--families, etc. Hard sell to go that far away in a sport where you could be done tomorrow. Pretty risky.

Trying to put aside my Kenseth bias, I expect him to sign at least one more contract. Unlike Gordon, Stewart, and Earnhardt, Matt is in pretty good condition and running competitively.

Obviously, I don't know squat and he could prove me wrong at any time.
You're not wrong.

Jacked about Martin's extension, and pure class to make sure that he was announced prior to Erik's announcement. This. Is. Freakin'. Awesome.

Good for them I obviously want to see Ford successes but I also live in the real world and can recognize the achievement and success of FRR.

You've got SHR coming over next year, more good times for the Blue Oval boys are comin'.

Unless HMS can figure out what is ailing them and add a couple of satellite teams with competent drivers and staff Chevy could be in for a tough time. Something is definitely wrong as the Johnson/Knauss combo didn't forget how to perform so within that 4 car group a lot of work needs to be done. The good news is that money will be no object in trying to fix things as long as Rick Hendrick has a say.

In terms of drivers Kahne will need to go after his contract expires, I fully believe Dale Jr is done as he is one more hit away from taking his meals through a straw and JJ is 40. I wouldn't want to navigate through all that mess.

Unless HMS can figure out what is ailing them and add a couple of satellite teams with competent drivers and staff Chevy could be in for a tough time. Something is definitely wrong as the Johnson/Knauss combo didn't forget how to perform so within that 4 car group a lot of work needs to be done. The good news is that money will be no object in trying to fix things as long as Rick Hendrick has a say.

In terms of drivers Kahne will need to go after his contract expires, I fully believe Dale Jr is done as he is one more hit away from taking his meals through a straw and JJ is 40. I wouldn't want to navigate through all that mess.
When the SHR to Ford move was first announced, a lot of people thought they were shooting themselves in the foot for breaking it off with Hendrick. But, given that SHR has driven circles around the HMS boys this year, I think they'll be fine when they go it alone next year.

I don't look for HMS to be down for too long either. I think they're just having a bad year, I don't look for it to be a long-term thing.

When the SHR to Ford move was first announced, a lot of people thought they were shooting themselves in the foot for breaking it off with Hendrick. But, given that SHR has driven circles around the HMS boys this year, I think they'll be fine when they go it alone next year.

I don't look for HMS to be down for too long either. I think they're just having a bad year, I don't look for it to be a long-term thing.

The 78 team made a seamless switch and I think SHR may actually be better right out of the gate next year. I agree that HMS won't be down for long as they will be back on top and someone will be chasing them and the cycle will continue.

HMS has one team #48, I don't see them getting 2 cars in the chase for the next couple years.

The 78 team made a seamless switch and I think SHR may actually be better right out of the gate next year. I agree that HMS won't be down for long as they will be back on top and someone will be chasing them and the cycle will continue.
What do you see at HMS that makes you think they are better than a 1 car team???

Back
Top Bottom