Gibbs Indy Cars Illegal

The only other one I can find is from Darlington 2007...

"crew chief Tony Eury Jr. and driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. when NASCAR discovered alterations to the rear-wing bracket at Darlington, the ensuing penalty will be substantial. Eury was suspended for six races and fined $100,000, and Earnhardt was docked 100 championship points."

"Illegal wing brackets on #8 car could mean penalty UPDATES: During pre-race inspection Saturday at Darlington Raceway, the #8 Budweiser Chevy of Dale Earnhardt Jr. was found to have illegal brackets used to mount the rear wing on the Nextel Cup Series' new Car of Tomorrow, an infraction series director John Darby said could result in the first COT penalty. Officials forced the team to remove the brackets, then reattach the wing with a proper set. "We have specific blueprints for all the parts on the car," Darby said. "[Series officials] are a little sensitive to those parameters." Asked if doctoring the rear wing on the COT is a substantial no-no, Darby responded, "Yes." The infraction will not affect Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s starting position for the rain-delayed Dodge Avenger 500, Darby said. Darby said he plans to speak with #8 crew chief Tony Eury Jr. further next week.(ESPN.com)(5-13-2007)
UPDATE: Tony Eury Jr. fully expects a penalty from NASCAR this week and #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr. is prepared to help his crew chief pay it. NASCAR confiscated the rear wing mounts from Earnhardt Jr.'s car on Saturday before the Nextel Cup race at Darlington Raceway was postponed until Sunday due to rain. Eury called it an "interpretation." "It was a bad deal," he said. "It was a part that got put on there that shouldn't have. We've done a lot of offseason testing for NASCAR. There's been three different styles of brackets on there and it just happened to be one of those old-style brackets." Eury said the brackets were the same ones that weren't discovered during pre- or post-qualifying inspections. "It fit all of their templates," he said. "It just had a problem when you put [the angle] to where you should have." Eury said he tried to explain how to fix the problem to series director John Darby. "I was definitely not trying to get away with nothing, so you can take it for what it is," he said. "There's nothing I can do about it. Whatever they hand down, it certainly wasn't on purpose."(ESPN.com)(5-14-2007)
UPDATE 2: Hearing from sources that the Tony Eury Jr. will be fined $100,000 and be suspended for 6 weeks. In addition, the team will lose 100 owner and driver points. Eury is expected to appeal only the severity of the monetary fine. Tony Gibson will take Eury Jr's place as crew chief during the suspesion.(5-15-2007)
UDPATE 3: NASCAR announced today that the #8 Chevy team has been penalized and fined for rule violations committed last week at Darlington. The #8 team was found to have violated Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing), 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules), and 20-3.1.3B (the NASCAR-approved upper and lower rear wing mounting brackets must not be modified to obtain a rear-wing angle of less than zero degrees or more than 16 degrees) of the 2007 NASCAR rule book. Crew chief Tony Eury Jr., has been fined $100,000 and suspended from NASCAR until July 4, 2007 which includes this weekend’s NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge and the next six NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series events. He has also been placed on probation until Dec. 31, 2007. Driver Dale Earnhardt Jr., has been penalized with the loss of 100 Championship Driver points. Car owner Teresa Earnhardt has been penalized with the loss of 100 Championship Owner points. The violations were found during pre-race inspection on May 12.(NASCAR PR) AND: Dale Earnhardt, Inc. issued the following statement:“The car in question was a brand new car for the #8 team and the brackets that were found to be nonconforming were built as test pieces before the final design was established by NASCAR. They should not have been on the car and with Tony Eury Jr. away from the track Thursday during inspection, the error was not caught. We do not question the infraction which is clearly spelled out in the NASCAR rule book. However, we have appealed the severity of the penalty.”(DEI PR)(5-15-2007)"

Well surprise surprise, getting pressure from a team finishing 2-3-4 and they ain't suppose to win the chase, only JJ can win the chase, so Nastycar can improve ratings, right? Old man Rick Hendrick has always been good a putting his money where it counts, to the tune of one year house arrest for collusion in his business dealings and how ironic that he came down with some kind of cancer that lasted as long as he was on house arrest and then miraculously he was well again. PALEEESSSEEE.

images
upload_2014-7-28_17-31-47.jpeg

Reactions: sdj
Probably so, P3 if they are really jacked up.

Warnings are issued instead of penalties for certain types of minor, first-time infractions.
• P1 penalties may result from multiple warnings to the same team.
• P2 penalties may include but are not limited to violations such as hollow components, expiration of certain safety certification or improper installation of a safety feature, or minor bracket and fasteners violations.
• P3 penalty options may include but are not limited to violations such as unauthorized parts, measurement failures, parts that fail their intended use, or coil spring violation.
• P4 level infractions may include but are not limited to violations such as devices that circumvent NASCAR templates and measuring equipment, or unapproved added weight .
• P5 level may include but are not limited to violations such as combustion-enhancing additives in the oil, oil filter, air filter element or devices, systems, omissions, etc., that affect the normal airflow over the body.
• P6 level may include but are not limited to violations such as affecting the internal workings and performance of the engine, modifying the pre-certified chassis, traction control or affecting EFI or the ECU.
I guess it can't be more than P3, I'd figure tinkering with purpose-built safety parts would be bigger though.

The only time I seen the #22 is when the #24 and #18 were passing him and was Keselowski even in the race:confused:
Lol well take out the illegal gibbs cars and yiuve got Penske Hendrick filling most of the top 10... Yeah Joey wasn't a contender and Brad got screwed by timing but they were both top 5 cars easy.. Just like pretty much every other week

Lol well take out the illegal gibbs cars and yiuve got Penske Hendrick filling most of the top 10... Yeah Joey wasn't a contender and Brad got screwed by timing but they were both top 5 cars easy.. Just like pretty much every other week

Why yes, and take out the top 42 cars and Trevor Bayne wins his 2nd career race :)

Why yes, and take out the top 42 cars and Trevor Bayne wins his 2nd career race :)
Lmao oh so u give credit to the jgr guys for cheating their way to top 5s? Lol sorry if i dont agree... And other than the cheated up cars.. Its all Hendrick.. Im counting Hendrick engines as well... Sure Joey the only Penske in the top 10 but thru rest were still mostly if not all Hendrick.

Lmao oh so u give credit to the jgr guys for cheating their way to top 5s? Lol sorry if i dont agree... And other than the cheated up cars.. Its all Hendrick.. Im counting Hendrick engines as well... Sure Joey the only Penske in the top 10 but thru rest were still mostly if not all Hendrick.
Penske aint squeaky clean either man.

Ok, let's try to get some actual facts straight here. Only the #11 had any parts confiscated and it stll hasn't been made public by the people who decide that type of stuff if the plates were illegal.

Now these are just facts as I see them, YMMV :)

812698, member: 4536"]Why yes, and take out the top 42 cars and Trevor Bayne wins his 2nd career race :)[/quote]

this one too got me.

Never said they were.. But they have been this year... Haven't been this aught anyway... The fact remains that all the JGR cars didn't legally earn those finishes... The top 2 legal cars were Hendrick and Penske

Who said all three were involved? They only took parts from the #11 from what I heard.....or is this just the sour grape BS? Come on man, even if those firewall panels have been screwed with, it's one piece. This is a package deal. No one piece would be the end all. You remember the Penske rear ends? They were pretty good after they got legal. Have to admit....Listening to Travis Geisler bull**** his way out of that one was corporate gold. We got ourselves a pot, a kettle, and black....and one more thing, just like when Toyota called bull**** on Carl Edwards' oil tank a few years ago, and everybody wanted to know how Toyota would know how much downforce they'd gain, the same holds true here. How would anybody in any other camp know how much could be gained? We all know the answer to that.

Ok, let's try to get some actual facts straight here. Only the #11 had any parts confiscated and it stll hasn't been made public by the people who decide that type of stuff if the plates were illegal.

Now these are just facts as I see them, YMMV :)

Facts? You are so no fun. :angry:

The #11 had parts taken to R&D. You know something I don't?

Here is info from Nascar site. they took Gordon's and Kyles..pretty foggy on Hamlin's, doesn't really say yea or nay.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...s-possible-tech-issues-nascar-r-d-center.html

No. 11 car could have possible issues with firewall block-off plates

RELATED: Race results

SPEEDWAY, Ind. – NASCAR officials will take a closer look at the No. 11 Toyota of third-place finisher Denny Hamlin following Sunday's Crown Royal presents, The John Wayne Walding 400 at the Brickyard at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

According to NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp, there were "possible issues with several rear firewall block-off plates" on the Joe Gibbs Racing entry.

According to the NASCAR rule book (20-3.4.5)

"Block-off plates/covers used in rear firewalls in place of blowers, oil coolers, etc., must be constructed of 22 gage (0.031 inch thick) magnetic sheet steel. Block-off plates/covers must be installed with positive fasteners and sealed to prevent air leakage. Carbon fiber or aluminum block-off plates/covers will not be permitted."

If the block-off plates became detatched during the race, it could allow air to flow from inside the car and potentially create more downforce.

NASCAR will conduct an examination of the plates at the sanctioning body’s Research & Development Center in Concord, North Carolina for further evaluation and to determine what, if any penalties are forthcoming.

Tharp said there were no at-track issues with the winning entry of Jeff Gordon (Hendrick Motorsports) or the second-place entry of Kyle Busch. Those cars will also be taken to the R&D center for final inspection.
The #11 had parts taken to R&D. You know something I don't?

Who said all three were involved? They only took parts from the #11 from what I heard.....or is this just the sour grape BS? Come on man, even if those firewall panels have been screwed with, it's one piece. This is a package deal. No one piece would be the end all. You remember the Penske rear ends? They were pretty good after they got legal. Have to admit....Listening to Travis Geisler bull**** his way out of that one was corporate gold. We got ourselves a pot, a kettle, and black....and one more thing, just like when Toyota called bull**** on Carl Edwards' oil tank a few years ago, and everybody wanted to know how Toyota would know how much downforce they'd gain, the same holds true here. How would anybody in any other camp know how much could be gained? We all know the answer to that.

it isn't one piece but several.... plate(s)

it isn't one piece but several.... plate(s)

I hear ya. I meant one piece of the package.....unless the unnamed non-Toyota crew chief is suggesting that each plate is worth 20-30 hp?

Speaking of facts you are always harping about, It would be an interesting read about Toyota raising hell about Edwards's oil tank. I can't seem to find anything about Toyota being involved.

Speaking of facts you are always harping about, It would be an interesting read about Toyota raising hell about Edwards's oil tank. I can't seem to find anything about Toyota being involved.

I don't give a **** about facts. This is fun. I look for a link for you.

I don't give a **** about facts. This is fun. I look for a link for you.
cool, all I found was "rival competitors"
Rival competitors circulated a photo via e-mail Tuesday of Edwards doing a celebratory backflip off his car, and the cover is clearly not attached to the oil tank. It's believed that by opening up the oil tank trunk, the air is able to circulate through the car and create as much as 10% more downforce.

how do we know if he was cheating, when we can't see/read the rules? when did nascar make this rule?

Back
Top Bottom