Gibbs Indy Cars Illegal

Mr Darby and Nascar, please weigh the connecting rods too while you has the # 11 car.

how do we know if he was cheating, when we can't see/read the rules? when did nascar make this rule?
According to the NASCAR rule book (20-3.4.5)

"Block-off plates/covers used in rear firewalls in place of blowers, oil coolers, etc., must be constructed of 22 gage (0.031 inch thick) magnetic sheet steel. Block-off plates/covers must be installed with positive fasteners and sealed to prevent air leakage. Carbon fiber or aluminum block-off plates/covers will not be permitted."

If the block-off plates became detatched during the race, it could allow air to flow from inside the car and potentially create more downforce.

NASCAR will conduct an examination of the plates at the sanctioning body’s Research & Development Center in Concord, North Carolina for further evaluation and to determine what, if any penalties are forthcoming.

According to the NASCAR rule book (20-3.4.5)

"Block-off plates/covers used in rear firewalls in place of blowers, oil coolers, etc., must be constructed of 22 gage (0.031 inch thick) magnetic sheet steel. Block-off plates/covers must be installed with positive fasteners and sealed to prevent air leakage. Carbon fiber or aluminum block-off plates/covers will not be permitted."

If the block-off plates became detatched during the race, it could allow air to flow from inside the car and potentially create more downforce.

NASCAR will conduct an examination of the plates at the sanctioning body’s Research & Development Center in Concord, North Carolina for further evaluation and to determine what, if any penalties are forthcoming.
so what is nascar saying they did, non magnetic or sealed?

Penalty announcement day! Slap on the wrist and double secret probation or something substantial?

hard one to call, you never know what Nascar is going to do. Might be big todo about nothing, or the flaps might have actually worked. I think something is either fishy or the Gibbs bunch found some speed somewhere and they ain't telling. This week at another big speed track should tell the tale.

hard one to call, you never know what Nascar is going to do. Might be big todo about nothing, or the flaps might have actually worked. I think something is either fishy or the Gibbs bunch found some speed somewhere and they ain't telling. This week at another big speed track should tell the tale.
They talk about this being a safety issue in addition to it being a possible aero advantage. They're probably working those numbers right now at the R&D Center. I'm guessing another example will be made.

They talk about this being a safety issue in addition to it being a possible aero advantage. They're probably working those numbers right now at the R&D Center. I'm guessing another example will be made.
It has been a while since they put the big whammy on anybody, and they love the big whammy. It would be ironic for Toyota. I bet Jack Roush will have something slick to say.

picsay-1406645786.jpg

I don't remember seeing an incar with Hamlin..Guess they didn't want to show his driver suit flapping in the breeze.

Kyle and Matt's cars are fine. Speed found.

They will do just enough to get everybody's attention, but not enough to impact anything really. If there is a penalty, there won't be an appeal IMO.

They will do just enough to get everybody's attention, but not enough to impact anything really. If there is a penalty, there won't be an appeal IMO.

If it's a safety issue, Nascar will drop the hammer - as they have done in the past.

"REAR FIREWALLS" think behind your back seat.

Allow me to be the first to say that I was wrong. The penalty does not surprise me. The appeal stuns me. The way Darian and Wes will start serving their penalties blows me away. Very interesting

Damn Hamlin's car had more holes in it than Swiss cheese. I made a joke about him not having an incar camera because you could see his driver suit blowing in the breeze, that was more truth than joke. :biggrin: I hope the get a hold of Jack Roush. What irony that the Toyota big wig was raising hell about Carl's oil cover and Denny's car was way over the line. Nascar racing, heck yeah.

Damn Hamlin's car had more holes in it than Swiss cheese. I made a joke about him not having an incar camera because you could see his driver suit blowing in the breeze, that was more truth than joke. :biggrin: I hope the get a hold of Jack Roush. What irony that the Toyota big wig was raising hell about Carl's oil cover and Denny's car was way over the line. Nascar racing, heck yeah.

You sure about that swiss cheese thing? I'd like to see the pics. This isn't a Toyota deal man. This is a Darian Grubb #11 thing. I will wait until the appeal to comment on specifics--like swiss cheese and stuff.

You sure about that swiss cheese thing? I'd like to see the pics. This isn't a Toyota deal man. This is a Darian Grubb #11 thing. I will wait until the appeal to comment on specifics--like swiss cheese and stuff.
didn't you read Nascar's explanation?, more holes than a zombie street punk.

Approved parts that fail or are improperly installed to fail in their intended use of great importance (e.g.; rear wheel well panels that fail and allow air evacuation in the trunk area; oil box cover that fails and allows air evacuation in the driver compartment; shifter boot cover that fails and allows air evacuation through the floor pan). This infraction violates Sections 12-1, 20-2.1, 20.3.4, 20.3.4.5.

These guys made Carl's cheating look like he is a choir boy :biggrin:

Approved parts that fail or are improperly installed to fail in their intended use of great importance (e.g.; rear wheel well panels that fail and allow air evacuation in the trunk area; oil box cover that fails and allows air evacuation in the driver compartment; shifter boot cover that fails and allows air evacuation through the floor pan). This infraction violates Sections 12-1, 20-2.1, 20.3.4, 20.3.4.5.

Holy crap....more holes than a zombie street punk....freakin' outstanding! LOL. Who the hell knows?

that's amazing, that car's ground effects must suck itself down to the track, so having a trick flap on the shifter and the wanky oil box cover I get that part, more suck. but the rear wheel panels that let air in the trunk? I don't get that part.

that's amazing, that car's ground effects must suck itself down to the track, so having a trick flap on the shifter and the wanky oil box cover I get that part, more suck. but the rear wheel panels that let air in the trunk? I don't get that part.

air pressure diff. .........
like airplane wing on landing......
more pressure on flaps up ....than lift underneath wing....... when it took off.

Might be able to sell that car to a driver that is one position away from making the chase in the last race before the cut off. OH CLINT

When Smokey Yunick did it it was innovation. When Chad Knaus (and others) do it it is cheating. It's a battle between the teams exploring the gray areas of the rules and NASCAR having to add another spec to the cars - it has always has been that way.

In the inaugural race at Talladega, a 69 Ford had its engine set back six inches to a foot from it's stock location for better weight distribution in clear violation of the rules. The set back required some pretty high handed modification to the firewall that should have been evident to even a casual observer. The car was allowed to race and finished ninth with Tiny Lund at the wheel. The car's owner? Bill France, who also owned the track and of course NASCAR. If you can't beat them, join them I suppose. Unless of course you're already them.

i figure if jgr runs up front sunday @ pocono race end........like @ indy......wtf w/ plates ?

if mid pack ..........hhhhmmmm. ?

Larry Mac, said that Nascar knew about the plates and went thru the garage telling teams it wouldn't be tolerated. Looks like Hamlins bunch didn't get the memo.

Back
Top Bottom