Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Not sensitive, I just believe in fair play and I do dislike cowards.
If you have a beef, face the man one on one. Otherwise your a chicken ****.

Not sensitive, I just believe in fair play and I do dislike cowards.
If you have a beef, face the man one on one. Otherwise your a chicken sh!t.

You mean the way Jeff Gordon walked up to Clint's hauler that time? Or when Gordon stepped up to Jeff Burton that other time? Or when Jeff Gordon dragged the current driver of the blue douche down by the collar at Texas after said other driver refused to confront him?

I also dislike cowards and believe the right thing to do is confront somebody face to face. That's why I choose to root against Brad and Joey, because one won't ever acknowledge he did anything wrong, and the other will throw a water bottle at you from ten feet away if you approach him after an altercation.

You mean the way Jeff Gordon walked up to Clint's hauler that time? Or when Gordon stepped up to Jeff Burton that other time? Or when Jeff Gordon dragged the current driver of the blue douche down by the collar at Texas after said other driver refused to confront him?

I also dislike cowards and believe the right thing to do is confront somebody face to face. That's why I choose to root against Brad and Joey, because one won't ever acknowledge he did anything wrong, and the other will throw a water bottle at you from ten feet away if you approach him after an altercation.
If I remember right K had been put on probation if any more trouble erupted and he was trying to not push it. It was another coward, Harvick, that pushed him and blew things up. Never thought as much of Kevin after that.

*eagerly anticipates the new Malibu body reveal*

Edit: Nevermind, apparently Chevy just announced one week ago that they will run the SS through 2017 and then make a switch for 2018.

We will be seeing a new Camry for 2017 though.

*eagerly anticipates the new Malibu body reveal*

Edit: Nevermind, apparently Chevy just announced one week ago that they will run the SS through 2017 and then make a switch for 2018.

Seems like Ford and Toyota make pretty frequent updates to their cars. I'm not sure Chevy has done even one update with the SS.

The new Malibu is hideous. The front is absolutely terrible, and the back looks like a Hyundai.

Keep running the SS as long as they can.

Really? I think there's been fantastic brand identity since the gen 6 cars came out. I think we forgot how bad the previous cars were.
I was referring mostly to street cars. I could probably tell a street SS from a Camry or Fusion, but couldn't tell the street Toyo from the street Ford (or most other cars either).

I do okay with stock cars if I can see the grille, but don't show me an unwrapped body from the side or rear and expect me to tell them apart. I have no clue what to look for beyond rear window shape, and I don't even know how those differ. Fortunately, I rarely have to look at unwrapped cars. Tell me, what differences do you see?

I was referring mostly to street cars. I could probably tell a street SS from a Camry or Fusion, but couldn't tell the street Toyo from the street Ford (or most other cars either).

I do okay with stock cars if I can see the grille, but don't show me an unwrapped body from the side or rear and expect me to tell them apart. I have no clue what to look for beyond rear window shape, and I don't even know how those differ. Fortunately, I rarely have to look at unwrapped cars. Tell me, what differences do you see?

Just take a look at the profile view of the cars and ignore the wraps: http://galleries.nascar.com/gallery/674/paint-scheme-preview-charlotte#/11

There are definite differences especially at the nose.

They're race cars. There are 3 different engine combinations on the track.

Their resemblance to street vehicles is meaningless to me.

Headlight shapes, taillight shapes, grille shapes, body lines, bumper details, trunk details, profile, c-pillar shape, roofline. I mean you're basically asking "what makes one car look different from any other car?". And the answer is... everything.

Just take a look at the profile view of the cars and ignore the wraps: http://galleries.nascar.com/gallery/674/paint-scheme-preview-charlotte#/11
There are definite differences especially at the nose.
Headlight shapes, taillight shapes, grille shapes, body lines, bumper details, trunk details, profile, c-pillar shape, roofline. I mean you're basically asking "what makes one car look different from any other car?". And the answer is... everything.
Okay, now I'm really confused. I'd swear there are differences in the rear window shape and rear bumper profile between the SHR Chevys (#4 and #10), the RCR #3, and the Baldwin #7. And it looks like #78 and #83 Toyotas have different nose profiles.

Darned if I know what difference to look for in body lines, roof line, c-pillar share, or roof line. Those look interchangeable to me - a slightly curving hood, a longer continuous curve for the greenhouse (steeper in the front, less curve as you move toward the rear), a relatively flat rear deck. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I guess If I was as interested in telling street cars apart as I am in the differences between birds, I'd probably do a lot better. I'd read more on the subject other than web sites, spend time in the field looking at them, hang out with others equally interested. In short, apparently I haven't been motivated enough to make the necessary effort.

I admit it was easier when I was a kid. Cars seem to have been more different before the Taurus came along. In these days of government-mandated MPG standards, there's only so much one can do with what appears to be a handful of streamlined shapes.

Thanks for your insights.

Just saw that Monster Energy is replacing Sprint as the primary sponsor for the Cup series next season on ESPN. Seems like a very bizarre choice.

Just saw that Monster Energy is replacing Sprint as the primary sponsor for the Cup series next season on ESPN. Seems like a very bizarre choice.

It's actually the most logical choice possible. Monster is a heavy-hitting brand with a massive following that is very tied to the brand and lifestyle around it. And they have a young following and "cool" factor that NASCAR seriously has been lacking. I'm 24 and I'm already more happy that I can tell people I follow the NASCAR Monster Series as opposed to how corny Sprint Cup always was.

Monster is a fantastic promoter. This is very good for the sport. This will be more like Winston used to be.

It's actually the most logical choice possible. Monster is a heavy-hitting brand with a massive following that is very tied to the brand and lifestyle around it. And they have a young following and "cool" factor that NASCAR seriously has been lacking. I'm 24 and I'm already more happy that I can tell people I follow the NASCAR Monster Series as opposed to how corny Sprint Cup always was.

Monster is a fantastic promoter. This is very good for the sport. This will be more like Winston used to be.
It seems logical from NASCAR's point of view. I'm still not sure why Monster is hooking up with an audience that's already beyond their market. Why try to grow NASCAR when there are so many other venues already populated by the younger market?

It seems logical from NASCAR's point of view. I'm still not sure why Monster is hooking up with an audience that's already beyond their market. Why try to grow NASCAR when there are so many other venues already populated by the younger market?

Conquest marketing. Tapping into new potential. Expanding your audience. Making more $$$$

Conquest marketing. Tapping into new potential. Expanding your audience. Making more $$$$
Well, I certainly wish them well. I can see this helping them increase their share of the existing market. I dunno if they're going to convince people who don't already drink energy drinks to grow the overall audience. But we have several years to find out.

Me, I'm unreachable to any product in this category. I'm not interested in consuming caffeine in those quantities, and the products all strike me as overpriced compared to my preferred alternatives. But then, I also never smoked, used a cell phone, don't have access to Xfinity, turn to USAA over Nationwide, don't drink beer, don't have a Camping World within 90 miles, and never got tools at Sears. I'm used to ignoring NASCAR's series sponsors.

I'd like to see Welch's Cup...of Grape Juice. Something I actually love to drink.
And it should help the demographic stay healthy. I guess the Welch's didn't see the profit there. :(

Something completely different ... Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - Speedway at Nazareth

Last edited:
Um no, the 2017 is already on sale and is the same as the 2016 in terms of body styling, I think maybe you meant that we will be seeing a new Camry for 2018 summer of 2017 when it goes on sale. Toyota will reveal the 2018 Camry at the Detroit auto show.

Um no, the 2017 is already on sale and is the same as the 2016 in terms of body styling, I think maybe you meant that we will be seeing a new Camry for 2018 summer of 2017 when it goes on sale. Toyota will reveal the 2018 Camry at the Detroit auto show.

No ****... The Camry bodystyle WILL be updated for the 2017 season to reflect the next gen Camry. I said for 2017, not the '17 model year.

I wouldn't be able to spot a Cadillac if it bit me. I see 3 different cars on the road... large, medium and small.
Big ugly boxy sucker running 10 - 15 mph below the posted limit, blue-haired older lady peeping between the steering wheel and the top of the dash. Absolutely -NO- Monster decals. :D

Back
Top Bottom