Talladega - GEICO 500 - Pre Race Thread

185244-375-264.jpg

Hey NASCAR.. make the drivers go out on track in the same order as the random (useless, pointless) qualifying draw.. make them do this when the green flag waves for qualifying. Problem solved.

Don't think Mike Wallace would sell to Stenhouse?

Mike wants $2,500.00 for the spot ....... $3,250.00 (if you want the car too) , I think that's more than fair . Danica apparently is refusing to get out of her car.

Is it bad that I actually feel bad that Stenhouse is gonna miss the race?

It's a complete joke that a team that spends the money to be there every week, even if they do suck, misses it because of some convoluted process.

Sucks for stenhouse this is a race he actually could have won. I'm sure his full-time sponsors are thrilled as well

Cool idea that I saw on a BASEBALL site . What they do is send out each car , by itself , to run the fastest lap it can run . The fastest car gets the pole , the second fastest , second , etc . I think that could work in Nascar .

All of this is why Ryan Blaney in truck qualifying went out and ran a slow lap by himself, pulled back onto pit road before the start/finish line and waited for the rest to go out so he would at least have a qualifying lap. Smart move.

I'm lost guys. I missed this session...can someone explain what happened in a nutshell?

What made this qualifying session a clusterfudge?

NEVERMIND

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it bad that I actually feel bad that Stenhouse is gonna miss the race?

It's a complete joke that a team that spends the money to be there every week, even if they do suck, misses it because of some convoluted process.

Personally I wont miss the 17 following Danica around, it is sad that you feel bad though :(

Is there a replay? I wanna watch for the lulz

wonder if harv runs r&d for '15 daytona tomorrow..........ie- limited rp tests.
joey too ? or shotgun for kez ? or both ! ha

thinkin matt ain't gonna run his usual calm & calculated race either ?
lotsa unpacked anger still ...from all tha crap he's been thru besides kez deal.

Last edited:
Once again, the race will start when the football games are deep in the second quarter or in the third quarter. Fortunately, for NASCAR's ratings, I'm a Jacksonville Jaguars fan and they'll end up pissing me off, like they have every game for the last seven years, and I'll end up turning on the race instead.

I'm lost guys. I missed this session...can someone explain what happened in a nutshell?

What made this qualifying session a clusterfudge?

NEVERMIND
What made it a cluster? The short term problem was the drivers / teams sitting around on pit road road with their thumbs up their exhaust pipes, not starting their qualifying laps until it was too late to start a full-speed run before time expired.

The long term problem is NASCAR's continued reliance on restrictor plates to keep the cars out of the grandstands instead of reconfiguring Daytona and Talladega so today's cars can run unfettered.

Even this version of qualifying @ Talladega was waaay better than the days of old watching a single car runs for two and a half hours on a Saturday afternoon. Looked to me like the teams are trying to figure out this new method and don't have a handle on it. That'll come in time. I like the structured format. In and out of qualifying in an hour.

It is kind of funny though thinking back to when this new qualifying was announced. Remember how most everyone was complaining how we'd see the 'big one' in qualifying. Turns out that one never happened. Now, some are calling for heat races. Funny how things change.

Happy Raceday people! Let's get this race started.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 19:

PRE-RACE SCHEDULE
12:00:00 p.m. ET: NSCS Driver/Crew Chief Meeting (Drivers Meeting Room)
1:30:00 p.m. ET: NSCS Drivers Introductions with NASCAR Special Awards
2:02:00 p.m. ET: Presentation of Colors by: Alabama National Guard
2:02:20 p.m. ET: Invocation by: Ron Jackson, Volunteer, Alabama Raceway Ministries
2:02:45 p.m. ET: Intro National Anthem (30 x 50 American Flag unfurled on ball field)
2:03:00 p.m. ET: National Anthem: 313th United States Army Band (Signed by Marshe’ Brownlee; a Student from Alabama Institute of Deaf & Blind)
2:05:00 p.m. ET: "This is Talladega" by Grant Lynch, Chairman of Talladega Superspeedway
2:09:30 p.m. ET: "Drivers, Start Your Engines" by: Rhett Rayburn, Regional V.P., Macon Southeast
2:21:30 p.m. ET: Green Flag – GEICO 500 (188 laps, 500.08 miles)

ON TRACK
-- 2 p.m. ET: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Geico 500 (188 laps, 500.08 miles), ESPN (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch Live)
-- 5:30 p.m. ET: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series post-race

Even this version of qualifying @ Talladega was waaay better than the days of old watching a single car runs for two and a half hours on a Saturday afternoon. Looked to me like the teams are trying to figure out this new method and don't have a handle on it. That'll come in time. I like the structured format. In and out of qualifying in an hour.

It is kind of funny though thinking back to when this new qualifying was announced. Remember how most everyone was complaining how we'd see the 'big one' in qualifying. Turns out that one never happened. Now, some are calling for heat races. Funny how things change.

With the field setting on pit road, watching the single car runs of Hamlin and Edwards was about the only exciting thing that happened on this particular Saturday afternoon :)

I'm surprised Roush didn't buy one of the back markers to get Ricky into this show or did I miss that news yesterday?

Another word of warning, the Chase and all aspects of the Chase will be talked about ad nauseam today. Focal points of the race will most certainly include the Jimmie, Jr, & Keselowski Cam's.

I'm surprised Roush didn't buy one of the back markers to get Ricky into this show or did I miss that news yesterday?

There was some talk on here that he tried but no proof was offered that I'm aware of. I had thought maybe Nemecheck but he was DQ'd for an oil tank issue.

I suppose that the "back markers" are willing to gamble on winning or at least a top-10 finish instead of selling their spot.

This is how close Gordon came to not making the race, as Stewart got the only available PC position. Can anyone even begin to imagine the outrage :eek::eek::eek:

43. Gordon 54.245
DNQ Stenhouse 54.118

Where the 2014 Sprint Cup Chase Drivers will start at Talladega: [listed by current driver chase points position]
1) #22-Joey Logano, 40th
2) #18-Kyle Busch, 41st
3) #4-Kevin Harvick, 39th
4) #31-Ryan Newman, 11th
5) #99-Carl Edwards, 15th
6) #24-Jeff Gordon, 43rd
7) #11-Denny Hamlin, 38th
8) #5-Kasey Kahne, 8th
9) #20-Matt Kenseth, 13th
10) #2-Brad Keselowski, 5th
11) #48-Jimmie Johnson, 2nd
12) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., 28th

* #2 to the rear for altenator change
* #20 to the rear for engine change

* 14 cameras on those two at all times as long as they're near each other. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom