Talladega - GEICO 500 - Pre Race Thread

Another word of warning, the Chase and all aspects of the Chase will be talked about ad nauseam today. Focal points of the race will most certainly include the Jimmie, Jr, & Keselowski Cam's.

Depending on track position. If the 2 gets near the 20, JJ's camera is out and Matt's camera is in.

JEFF GORDON, NO. 24 DRIVE TO END HUNGER CHEVROLET SS – QUALIFIED 43RD

WHAT WAS THE PLAN GOING INTO THAT QUALIFYING ATTEMPT?

“The plan was shot before the plan started. I messed up ultimately. I just mistimed getting to the line. The whole group was going so slow I knew I had to have a gap and when I came across the line I thought I had enough to be able to complete that lap and get one more, which was the only way we were going to be able to make it. But we came up short. It’s a mess out there. It’s not easy.”

IS SOME OF THAT JUST THE CONFUSION OF BEING A NEW FORMAT?

“Well what it is you don’t want to be the first car off pit road. If you are the first car off pit road more than likely you are not going to make it very far. It is all wanting to be at the back. We had a plan to work with some guys. I feel bad because I talked Kyle Larson into going with me and I messed him up. It was one of those things that I was just trying to time it and the way they were counting it down I thought we had enough time to get to the line. I just misjudged it. It’s something we will learn from each time and get better at. Timing is everything, not just in the lap time you make, but how you gap yourself and when you go. The pack ran so much slower than I anticipated that whole time that we were just caught too far behind.”

DID YOU LEARN SOMETHING FROM THE FIRST SESSION? HOW WAS YOUR LAP?

“The interesting thing I learned from the first run was that I didn’t think they went very fast. I thought ‘man we are going to be able to smoke that number’. The pack just rolled off pit road and was waiting. You just don’t want to be the first one off pit road. So, we were so focused or I was on being further back to get that big run that I just didn’t make it back to the line in time to complete that last lap. The whole key was completing that last lap and by not completing that last lap we lost out. I made a mistake. My bad, timing is so crucial on this whole format. I just didn’t get it right.”

ricky does the cleaning copy.jpg

I hope this race if full of the red hot racing that I've been waiting for this year. All the cards have been dealt and the money is on the table, it should be a hand only the fearless can contend with. Lets go racing boys & one chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of desperate drivers gonna be out there today, and desperation leads to trouble at Talladega. Should be a good one.

I know I'm a day late but this qualifying format is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. NASCAR needs to go back to single car qualifying for the restrictor plate tracks.

The assembly of video highlights should make an interesting recap of today's planned activities in Alabama. Perhaps on and off track.

Plates at an angle, bullets go into the ground

If I may ask, Kyle18fan, what steel game(s) are you playing?

The assembly of video highlights should make an interesting recap of today's planned activities in Alabama. Perhaps on and off track.

If I may ask, Kyle18fan, what steel game(s) are you playing?

We constantly change, do a little of everything including long range stuff. falling plates is my favorite though. my son and I are fabricators and welders so we build our own targets

@ToyYoda Titans at Redskins today. I'm gonna go to the bar and watch the first quarter of that ****show, then go home in time to catch the start of this race.

Wouldn't Roush only be limited to buying a Ford ride for Stenhouse? Looks like McDowell is the only option and I lol at the idea of McDowell giving up a top 10 start.

I don't think so. I remember Mark Martin and the Roush guys buying a Chevrolet ride for him one year in a Busch race. Black Winn-Dixie Lumina without any manufacturer decals

Thanks.

Sounds like fun. If you decide to relocate to the lower right hand corner of Virginia or the upper right in Carolina, let me know.

A lot of SASS affiliated cowboy action around. Local, unaffiliated ICORE style matches at a couple clubs and a recently started unaffiliated NSSF Rimfire Challenge thing looks like it's going to hold. All for braggin' rights only.

Keep the steel ringing. The more fabricators the better.

@ToyYoda Titans at Redskins today. I'm gonna go to the bar and watch the first quarter of that ****show, then go home in time to catch the start of this race.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be switching over to 'Dega when it starts as well. I'll flip back to the incompetence during the commercials.

Reactions: JEB
Wow, that sucks!

@jeff_gluck 2h2 hours ago
. @Josh_Wise team has the dreaded pit box under the photo tower
B0UI91qCQAAp-CR.jpg:large

Wow, that sucks!

@jeff_gluck 2h2 hours ago
. @Josh_Wise team has the dreaded pit box under the photo tower
B0UI91qCQAAp-CR.jpg:large
Good lord. I've been there and on pit road several times but never noticed that. Is that a joke?

Good lord. I've been there and on pit road several times but never noticed that. Is that a joke?

It wasn't a problem until everyone needed suites on top of their war wagons..

The 18, 31, 99, 24 and 11 could just cruise around single file a half a lap behind the pack and likely advance after the 5, 20, 2, 48 and 88 take eachother out in the late stages of the race. This is not the time to be worried about team orders. It's all about survival, man.

lots to watch for today. looking for team strategy just a notch below bowyer's 2013 move.

the HEAT is on at the most unpredictable track on the schedule. it's gonna be great entertainment, even if it's not what I call racing.

Back
Top Bottom