The latest to be bit by the new lug nut rule

• Joe Gibbs Racing will not appeal penalty: Joe Gibbs Racing announces it will not appeal the penalty issued by NASCAR earlier this afternoon to its #18 team. The 18 team utilized unaltered stock lug nuts during Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas Speedway and each wheel had all five lug nuts attached to the wheel at the conclusion of the race. The team does acknowledge that not all lug nuts were tightened to the wheel.(Joe Gibbs Racing)(5-11-2016)
    :D

Sounds like they might have had a 5th nut glued to the wheel / drilled out so it slipped easily over the stud threads and stayed in place.

Creative. I like it.

I agree. Freakin' awesome. Championship team. Best car. Best driver. Best pit crew. Still pushing like hell. Awesomeness.

Yes ...... a 53.5 horsepower increase at 8500 rpm

That's top secret TRD information. How the hell did you get ahold of that?.....53.549949393920020499020293030 increase to be exact which would rip a piece of metal off of the rear end which would hit Harvick and make him go tight. Masterful plan. Foiled apparently.

That's top secret TRD information. How the hell did you get ahold of that?.....53.549949393920020499020293030 increase to be exact which would rip a piece of metal off of the rear end which would hit Harvick and make him go tight. Masterful plan. Foiled apparently.

I only have 10 fingers, how the hell you expect me to use those big numbers ? All the scavengers appear to have full bulging bellies today, its nice they got a meal but a damned lug nut is rather low in calories :rolleyes:
Oh the secrets that a burnout can hide .... the tales a twisted piece of quarter panel can hold .

I only have 10 fingers, how the hell you expect me to use those big numbers ? All the scavengers appear to have full bulging bellies today, its nice they got a meal but a damned lug nut is rather low in calories :rolleyes:
Oh the secrets that a burnout can hide .... the tales a twisted piece of quarter panel can hold .
just ask JJ what a burn out can hide (if you win you have to bust the car)

Enjoy the probation for the rest of the year, Adam. Try that crap again in the chase and you'll be sitting out through homestead

Enjoy the probation for the rest of the year, Adam. Try that crap again in the chase and you'll be sitting out through homestead

Think Adam will manage that pressure just fine. Has Chad ever been off probation?

Personally, I'd rather have see it be Tony Stewart's team or one of SHR's other teams be the first to get caught. That being said, Kyle Busch being one of the members of the driving council, that asked to be policed, does make it somewhat more amusing.

Personally, I'd rather have see it be Tony Stewart's team or one of SHR's other teams be the first to get caught. That being said, Kyle Busch being one of the members of the driving council, that asked to be policed, does make it somewhat more amusing.

I'd agree. They are laughing about the 20k and losing the CC for a week. I will take that deal every damn day.

I'd agree. They are laughing about the 20k and losing the CC for a week. I will take that deal every damn day.
It is a pointless penalty that would not shy away bigger teams from attempting to exploit. Especially a team already in the chase.

• Joe Gibbs Racing will not appeal penalty: Joe Gibbs Racing announces it will not appeal the penalty issued by NASCAR earlier this afternoon to its #18 team. The 18 team utilized unaltered stock lug nuts during Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas Speedway and each wheel had all five lug nuts attached to the wheel at the conclusion of the race. The team does acknowledge that not all lug nuts were tightened to the wheel.(Joe Gibbs Racing)(5-11-2016)
I don't get how this could be true. Lug nuts are glued to the wheel. Wheel is placed over the five studs. As the first one or two nuts are tightened, doesn't that break the others free of the glue? As the wheel is snugged to the backer plate, the lug nuts break free of the glue, and are resting on the unthreaded portion of the stud, waiting to be hit with the gun to tighten them? Can somebody explain, please?

I don't get how this could be true. Lug nuts are glued to the wheel. Wheel is placed over the five studs. As the first one or two nuts are tightened, doesn't that break the others free of the glue? As the wheel is snugged to the backer plate, the lug nuts break free of the glue, and are resting on the unthreaded portion of the stud, waiting to be hit with the gun to tighten them? Can somebody explain, please?

If the nut was un-threaded, as has been rumored, wouldn't it then be able to slide over the lug threads and remain glued to the wheel as its snug against the backer plate? It would then look like there were 5 attached, but really only four were holding the wheel on.

If the nut was un-threaded, as has been rumored, wouldn't it then be able to slide over the lug threads and remain glued to the wheel as its snug against the backer plate? It would then look like there were 5 attached, but really only four were holding the wheel on.
Yes. The lug nut is drilled out to a larger diameter than that of the wheel stud.

Yes, except the Gibbs statement says, "The 18 team utilized unaltered stock lug nuts..." So they explicitly denied the rumor of drilled out lug nuts.

If they're all stock, threaded lug nuts as Mr. Gibbs says they were, all 5 glue bonds are broken as soon as the nuts hit the threaded portion of the studs. The nuts all sit on the long, unthreaded portion of the studs ... perfectly aligned with the threads, waiting for the gun. The system works week in and week out. I can't recall a cross-threaded nut since this system was implemented.

If Gibbs is being truthful, my drilled-out nut theory is bogus.

Hmm...then there's this, suggesting that the lug nuts were simply not tight.
"...The 18 team utilized unaltered stock lug nuts during Saturday night’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas Speedway and each wheel had all five lug nuts attached to the wheel at the conclusion of the race. The team does acknowledge that not all lug nuts were tightened to the wheel..."

https://beyondtheflag.com/2016/05/11/nascar-jgr-addresses-lug-nut-penalty/

If they're all stock, threaded lug nuts as Mr. Gibbs says they were, all 5 glue bonds are broken as soon as the nuts hit the threaded portion of the studs. The nuts all sit on the long, unthreaded portion of the studs ... perfectly aligned with the threads, waiting for the gun. The system works week in and week out. I can't recall a cross-threaded nut since this system was implemented.

If Gibbs is being truthful, my drilled-out nut theory is bogus.
One possibility is that the infraction occurred earlier in the race, not on the 18's last stop, and penalty was called from video of the changer hitting only four. The Gibbs statement says five were "attached to the wheel at the conclusion of the race."

^ It was a post-race inspection / infraction. They're "working" to find a way to reliably call a penalty during events.

Gibbs said there were 5 in place, but not all of them were tight.

Lying and auto racing in the same sentence?

I've never heard such blasphemy!

Methinks The Coach, a god-fearin' man, is being truthful.

Afraid of a lightning bolt from the sky.

The nut was glued on but not tightened. It was out on the edge of the stud. There are post race pictures

The nut was glued on but not tightened. It was out on the edge of the stud. There are post race pictures

...and if that is the case, that is bull****. How tight is tight? Whatever.

^ It was a post-race inspection / infraction. They're "working" to find a way to reliably call a penalty during events.

Gibbs said there were 5 in place, but not all of them were tight.

Isn't that what the officials on pit road are monitoring, that all 5 lug nuts are on and appear to be tight? I seem to recall cars getting to called back to pit road for not having all 5 lug nuts on in the past before they dropped the rule and let teams police themselves.

Isn't that what the officials on pit road are monitoring, that all 5 lug nuts are on and appear to be tight? I seem to recall cars getting to called back to pit road for not having all 5 lug nuts on in the past before they dropped the rule and let teams police themselves.
I believe what the teams were upset about in the first place so Brian put it in their hands. So then they went to only doing 3 or 4 lugs, of course the teams whined about Nascar not being safety minded and when Brian put the rule in to have all 5 on and secured this safety minded teams still only tightened 4. These babies just can't seem to know how safety minded they are or if they just want Nascar to rule and then keeping in the Nascar spirit of bending rules just go ahead and do what they were complaining about in the beginning.

Are there officials on pit road again?

Technically, a small number considering the amount of digits.

Next.....

Crew chiefs for Kurt Busch, A.J. Allmendinger suspended for lug nut violations

Tony Gibson (Kurt Busch) and Randall Burnett (A.J. Allmendinger) were suspended from this weekend at Pocono Raceway after their teams failed lug nut inspections after Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600.

Gibson and Burnett each were fined $20,000 and placed on probation through Dec. 31. There was no immediate word from their teams Wednesday on whether they’d appeal.

Both teams were found in violation of Section 10.11.3.4.a (WHEELS & TIRES: All tires, wheels, and all five lug nuts must be installed in a safe and secure manner at all times during the event). But the lug nut violations for each team were slightly different.

Allmendinger’s team also was found in violation of rule 12.5.3.4.1 p, which is an identification of a missing lug nut. Busch’s team didn’t violate that rule, meaning its wheel had five lug nuts but was judged to be improperly secured.

The new lug nut rule was implemented before the May 1 race at Talladega.

Adam Stevens, crew chief for Kyle Busch, was suspended for one race, along with tire changer Josh Leslie for violating the revised lug nut policy after Busch won May 7 at Kansas Speedway. Unlike the teams of Kurt Busch and Allmendinger, Kyle Busch‘s team was deemed to have “parts that are designed to fail their intended use” as part of its violation, making it a stiffer punishment that apparently resulted in Leslie’s suspension.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/06...llmendinger-suspended-for-lug-nut-violations/

Back
Top Bottom