The real championship thread

Those two years still produced good story lines without the manufactured drama.
majority of the time the nationwide series is tighter than a nun in church, without the chase.

Why cant these experimental points formats be tested on lower series first to see if it actually works, before bringing it to cup?

majority of the time the nationwide series is tighter than a nun in church, without the chase.

Why cant these experimental points formats be tested on lower series first to see if it actually works, before bringing it to cup?

Would it still be tighter than a nun in church if Cuppers weren't winning all the damn time?

Would it still be tighter than a nun in church if Cuppers weren't winning all the damn time?
Thats a good point your not going to spread out much when everyone but Elliott finishes no better then 5th each week.

Gordon's point racing brought Logano back into the picture:
1) #24-Jeff Gordon(C8), 1115
2) #22-Joey Logano(C1), 1077, -38
3) #2-Brad Keselowski(C3), 1043, -72
4) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., 1023, -92
5) #4-Kevin Harvick(C2), 1022, -93
6) #20-Matt Kenseth(C6), 993, -122
7) #31-Ryan Newman(C4), 990, -125
8) #48-Jimmie Johnson, 967, -148
9) #42-Kyle Larson, 967, -148
10) #99-Carl Edwards(C7), 961, -154
11) #5-Kasey Kahne, 901, -214
12) #16-Greg Biffle, 900, -215
13) #15-Clint Bowyer, 885, -230
14) #18-Kyle Busch, 881, -234
15) #3-Austin Dillon, 878, -237
16) #1-Jamie McMurray, 877, -238
17) #11-Denny Hamlin(C5), 837, -278
18) #55-Brian Vickers, 830, -285
19) #27-Paul Menard, 826, -289
20) #41-Kurt Busch, 794, -321
21) #9-Marcos Ambrose, 781, -334
22) #47-AJ Allmendinger, 771, -344
23) #78-Martin Truex Jr., 767, -348
24) #43-Aric Almirola, 726, -389
25) #13-Casey Mears, 716, -399
Dale Earnhardt, Jr: 4th in points, eliminated from championship contention.

Denny Hamlin: 17th in points, still alive for the championship.

Yep, this new format is legit. :rolleyes:

That's right, because the best driver doesn't always win the championship. That goes to the driver that did the best job slipping through the cracks in the elimination rounds.
Yeah of course... because a 40th place finish doesn't virtually eliminate drivers from contention under any format anyway :rolleyes:

So do you honestly think Denny Hamlin has had a better season than Dale Earnhardt, Jr?
It sucks for Jr.. but yes... he did what he needed to to survive.. Jr didnt... anything before that bracket is irrelevant and Im fine with that.

It's fair. Jr didnt do what he had to and paid the price just like any other driver would have.

people wanted winning to mean more...now you have it and people are still bitching:D

Get your facts straight. If we would have used this championship format last year, not accounting for exactly how drivers would have raced differently, Dale Jr. would have won, and he didn't win anything last year.

There it is. That little snippet right there is a perfect summation of why this chase format sucks so bad.
Thats your opinion... I think thats what makes it great... No running bad. Period. Unless u can win the next one. Not my fault your (not yours but anyones) driver couldnt keep it together for 3 weeks... if they cant be consistent enough to have 3 good finishes, or win one of them... they're done. Why should how good u did 6 months ago determine what happens now?

Get your facts straight. If we would have used this championship format last year, not accounting for exactly how drivers would have raced differently, Dale Jr. would have won, and he didn't win anything last year.

Interesting.

But... but... they would have raced differently!!

I dont even care... if the champ has no wins but is consistent enough to take it all.. good for them, they deserve it... if a driver wins every other race to take it.. same deal.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...ase-for-the-nascar-sprint-cup-new-format.html

By the way, what type of Chase format, or championship format, would you NOT like?

One that disqualifies a driver for having a neck that exceeds the maximum allowable neck length.

1677257476001_2060344214001_900944612-178-1356708763682.jpg

They could say "whoever gets the most wins in a years gets it"... and I'd like it... they could take the top 36 in owners points from the previous year, and the lowest finishing driver each week is eliminated from contention... winning driver is immune the following week... and I think that would be good too... as long as I get to watch racing every week.. Im fine with everything.

people wanted winning to mean more...now you have it and people are still bitching:D
I never saw where wins were of such little importance in the previous chase formats. Kurt Busch won the '04 title with 3 wins but outside of that, no one in the chase era has won a championship with fewer than 5 wins. I can't remember a time when two winless drivers were in contention for a championship this late in a season, thanks to this format that's all about winning.

Seriously though.. I think that would make for some excitement and would guarantee wins and consistency do the trick.

Top 36 from the previous year.. one eliminated after every race, with the winner immune the following week. Awesome.

I never saw where wins were of such little importance in the previous chase formats. Kurt Busch won the '04 title with 3 wins but outside of that, no one in the chase era has won a championship with fewer than 5 wins. I can't remember a time when two winless drivers were in contention for a championship this late in a season, thanks to this format that's all about winning.
Dont get me wrong.. I dont want a winless driver to take it all... but I really dont think that will happen.

I disagree.. they are given the same rules to start the year and do what they need to to get to the end. They do the best to get the cup.. just like in 1949

If they decided points were only given to the Champion, of all 36 races, in the last race, that wouldn't bug you. Right?

If they decided points were only given to the Champion, of all 36 races, in the last race, that wouldn't bug you. Right?
Not sure what that means exactly.. its worded weird... but seriously... pay attention.. I'll try to say it in a way everyone will understand lol

There is NONE... absolutely NO championship format I would not enjoy.. I dont watch NASCAR because I want to see who takes it all.. yes it gets more exciting around this time of year and I do like the fight for it and counting points and all that .. but I watch because I love to watch racing... so as long as the cars are on the track, making laps as fast as they can, and fighting for wins.. Im happy

This format makes each race mean more. Which is just.... better.

Okay take this example.. Jeff Gordon would apparently be 38 points ahead of Joey right now right?

So why should he be able to finish outside the top 30 in one of these final races and still go on to win it all?

As the year winds down.. you have to do better... not the same as you've been doing.. theres nothing wrong with that.

Anyone think its slightly ironic that the 4 best cars all year are the only 4 who have won in the chase so far? One of those guys will take it all... and if not.. well.. too bad.. shouldn't have wrecked. Better luck next year.

Not sure what that means exactly.. its worded weird... but seriously... pay attention.. I'll try to say it in a way everyone will understand lol

There is NONE... absolutely NO championship format I would not enjoy.. I dont watch NASCAR because I want to see who takes it all.. yes it gets more exciting around this time of year and I do like the fight for it and counting points and all that .. but I watch because I love to watch racing... so as long as the cars are on the track, making laps as fast as they can, and fighting for wins.. Im happy

I'm being sarcastic.

I think, if you really don't care about the type of format they use, you shouldn't call people down cause they do care. Not saying you are. But calling people down because they're bitching and moaning about it is different than calling people down cause they actually have championship formats they prefer. The person who created this forum actually enjoys doing these alternate formats. I wouldn't call it "the REAL championship thread", but I find exploring these "what if"? scenarios quite fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom