The real championship thread

This thread is still going? Well, here, allow me to post "the real championship" standings.

1. #22 Joey Logano -- 4000
2. #4 Kevin Harvick -- 4000
3. #31 Ryan Newman -- 4000
4. #11 Denny Hamlin -- 4000
5. #20 Matt Kenseth -- 4000
6. #99 Carl Edwards -- 4000
7. #24 Jeff Gordon -- 4000
8. #2 Brad Keselowski -- 4000
9. #18 Kyle Busch -- 2197
10. #48 Jimmie Johnson -- 2174

This thread is still going? Well, here, allow me to post "the real championship" standings.

Wow, what are the odds 8 guys would be tied this late in the season?

Wow, what are the odds 8 guys would be tied this late in the season?

Even then what are the odds that the 8 guys tied in first would have 2.5 times the amount of points they could possible have if they had won all 32 races and lead the most laps.

I'm being sarcastic.

I think, if you really don't care about the type of format they use, you shouldn't call people down cause they do care. Not saying you are. But calling people down because they're bitching and moaning about it is different than calling people down cause they actually have championship formats they prefer. The person who created this forum actually enjoys doing these alternate formats. I wouldn't call it "the REAL championship thread", but I find exploring these "what if"? scenarios quite fascinating.
I can undertand that... maybe Im just so used to all the whining about it around here lol

I just dont get why ppl have to incessantly bitch and moan about the same exact things in the exact same way they were in February when the format was announced. It get annoying. Especially when the same ppl are just as excited about how good the racing has been as I am.

:XXROFL:

I said the same thing.. but I just gave a link to nascar.com

I couldn't agree more though

This thread name needs to be changed... something like "The for those who like to live in the past championship thread" or something...

Im curious.. how is Rusty Wallace doing in these "real" standings? I mean you guys are living all back in the early '00's anyway right? How does he gets from the booth to the car so fast?!

I said the same thing.. but I just gave a link to nascar.com

I couldn't agree more though

This thread name needs to be changed... something like "The for those who like to live in the past championship thread" or something...

Im curious.. how is Rusty Wallace doing in these "real" standings? I mean you guys are living all back in the early '00's anyway right? How does he gets from the booth to the car so fast?!

Thing is, they used a different points system, regardless of whether or not there was a chase, in the early 2000s.

And it's not like the chase is necessarily never gonna go away. It's possible that......Brian France would step down or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL finally someone gets it

Thing is, they used a different points system, regardless of whether or not there was a chase, in the early 2000s.

And it's not like the chase is necessarily never gonna go away. It's possible that......Brian France would step down or something like that.
Well... how old is he.. like 40 something? He's probably only got another 30 or so years in him anyway lol

Honestly, the only problem I had with The Chase last year was when MWR tried to fix The Chase and NASCAR written Jeff Gordon into the newly created, just for Jeff Gordon, 13th Chase Spot.

I actually liked the 10 drivers get in, and 2 wild-cards. I liked the simplified points system that went from like 43 to 1. Out of all The Chase format that Brian France has come up with while high on shrooms in a hotel room, last year's was the best.

Honestly, the only problem I had with The Chase last year was when MWR tried to fix The Chase and NASCAR written Jeff Gordon into the newly created, just for Jeff Gordon, 13th Chase Spot.

I actually liked the 10 drivers get in, and 2 wild-cards. I liked the simplified points system that went from like 43 to 1. Out of all The Chase format that Brian France has come up with while high on shrooms in a hotel room, last year's was the best.

The thing about the simplified points system is that for a long time, I assumed it gave drivers more for winning. But when I actually did the math, I actually realized that it actually gives you a slightly smaller average for winning.

Take the points rewarded for placing 1st and 2nd under the old system and the new system. (185 and 170 vs. 46 vs. 42). Then subtract from both systems the average number of points given to last place (34 and 1). Because you'd assume that if you're competing for a championship, that you're gonna run every race, anyway. And you have 151 and 136 vs. 45 and 41. And divide the # of points earned for first with the # of points earned for second.

151 divided by 136 = 1.11029

45 divided by 41 = 1.097561

The thing about the simplified points system is that for a long time, I assumed it gave drivers more for winning. But when I actually did the math, I actually realized that it actually gives you a slightly smaller average for winning.

Take the points rewarded for placing 1st and 2nd under the old system and the new system. (185 and 170 vs. 46 vs. 42). Then subtract from both systems the average number of points given to last place (34 and 1). Because you'd assume that if you're competing for a championship, that you're gonna run every race, anyway. And you have 151 and 136 vs. 45 and 41. And divide the # of points earned for first with the # of points earned for second.

151 divided by 136 = 1.11029

45 divided by 41 = 1.097561

Well that is true, I just liked the simplified points system because it was easier to understand, well from my POV anyways.

If a winless driver ends up winning the cup.. whats really going to bug me is the same thing that would bug me if Brad, Harvick, Jeff, Carl, or Denny won it... It wasn't Joey :D lol
I wonder how much you'd support the new chase if Joey won 10 races in the regular season and then **** the bed in one of the rounds.

I wonder how much you'd support the new chase if Joey won 10 races in the regular season and then **** the bed in one of the rounds.
Lol I've been saying the exact same thing about this format since the beginning. It's really just a coincidence that Joey is dominating it so far.

I actually liked the 10 drivers get in,

I did, too.

Thought that was a well, nice round number. 10 races, 10 chasers.

Also liked the 5 points break away from each position all the way through 10.

This whole extending the spots for the chase got started because Jr. couldn't keep a top 10 in points to save his life. Then drivers got too lazy when it became a top 12 then it has gotten worse from there.

I did, too.

Thought that was a well, nice round number. 10 races, 10 chasers.

Also liked the 5 points break away from each position all the way through 10.

This whole extending the spots for the chase got started because Jr. couldn't keep a top 10 in points to save his life. Then drivers got too lazy when it became a top 12 then it has gotten worse from there.
From '04-'06 you had to be in the Top 10 in points after Richmond to get into the Chase (or within 400 pts of the leader). In 2007, you only had to be in the Top 12. Starting in 2011, you could be as low as 20th in points and still make the Chase. In 2014, you could make the Chase with a win as long as you were in the Top 30. I guess a couple years from now, as long as you're in the Top 75 in points, you'll be Chase eligible.

From '04-'06 you had to be in the Top 10 in points after Richmond to get into the Chase (or within 400 pts of the leader). In 2007, you only had to be in the Top 12. Starting in 2011, you could be as low as 20th in points and still make the Chase. In 2014, you could make the Chase with a win as long as you were in the Top 30. I guess a couple years from now, as long as you're in the Top 75 in points, you'll be Chase eligible.

Anything to help Junyer get a cup because when that happens, NASCAR and Brain France will be rolling in so much cash from the Merchandise sales that they'd be able to import hookers from SE Asia and import crack from Columbia...directly!

Anything to help Junyer get a cup because when that happens, NASCAR and Brain France will be rolling in so much cash from the Merchandise sales that they'd be able to import hookers from SE Asia and import crack from Columbia...directly!
Guess that didn't work out so well this time. Those Asian gals are safe for another year.

One that disqualifies a driver for having a neck that exceeds the maximum allowable neck length.

1677257476001_2060344214001_900944612-178-1356708763682.jpg
If he had Ryan Newmans neck and a normal roundish head he would be the same height as Mark Martin.

Welcome Nathan, this is a great site and you can discuss most anything on it. You will get a pat on the back sometimes, kudos and of course a kick in the
A$$, all from the same people. Just take it all in stride and never let them see you sweat. Don't forget, we're all bozos on this bus, me thinks it's the short bus.

Fender bumper drives it most of the time

yeah.....i say bring back tha glory yrs ......like '06 - '10.
great racin yrs ......where we knew who'd be champ w/ 4 races left ta go in season .
where only suspense in last 4 races was " will he blow a motor in this race " each week ! ha!

w/ 4 races left in '14 .........8 dang drivers have a shot at title . what a boring format !
and tha 1st of tha 4 races is at martinsville ! what idiot put that track on tha chase schedule ?

back ta glory days i say ! nfl for me sunday ! ha!

yeah.....i say bring back tha glory yrs ......like '06 - '10.
great racin yrs ......where we knew who'd be champ w/ 4 races left ta go in season .
where only suspense in last 4 races was " will he blow a motor in this race " each week ! ha!

w/ 4 races left in '14 .........8 dang drivers have a shot at title . what a boring format !
and tha 1st of tha 4 races is at martinsville ! what idiot put that track on tha chase schedule ?

back ta glory days i say ! nfl for me sunday ! ha!
So when between 2006 and 2010 was a championship clinched 4 races early? I don't think it was ever clinched before Homestead in the Chase era, although it came pretty close to that a couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom