2016 Talladega - GEICO 500 - Pre Race Thread

Either way, I still enjoy plate racing.

Calm before the storm.....

Cg7XRruWIAEGSuS.jpg:large

I stopped by the Dega track today and there are already a lot of fans parking their campers and motorhomes. Damn, it looks like a lot of fun. I wonder if Johali is going or if he is already there.

I'd be fine if the rule was, 'When the lead car crosses the S/F line after the green flag waves, the race has restarted. There will be only one restart. If the yellow comes out, that's freakin' it.'

Actually, I'd be fine if the race ended at the scheduled distance, regardless of caution status.

That was the rule last year with the old GWC system and one attempt. It's just that lots of NASCAR fans didn't realize you have to TAKE the green flag just like you have to TAKE the checkered for it to count. It's not just a turn of phrase.

Get ready for some excitement this week folks. 41 cars entered on the Entry List. Someone's going home. Maybe they should give the guy the 'Thanks for Showing Up Award' allowing them to start at the end of the field.

Get ready for some excitement this week folks. 41 cars entered on the Entry List. Someone's going home. Maybe they should give the guy the 'Thanks for Showing Up Award' allowing them to start at the end of the field.
It doesn't seem right that Blaney has a chance of not making the field. I want the Wood Bros getting a charter.

It doesn't seem right that Blaney has a chance of not making the field. I want the Wood Bros getting a charter.
Yeah, I hear ya. Knowing all of these other teams have guaranteed starting spots and they don't..... Seems odd.

You never know what could happen especially with practice leading up to qualifying. I'm betting that these guys pretty well stay away from each other until their spot in the field is set.

Yeah, I hear ya. Knowing all of these other teams have guaranteed starting spots and they don't..... Seems odd.

You never know what could happen especially with practice leading up to qualifying. I'm betting that these guys pretty well stay away from each other until their spot in the field is set.
Didnt a driver wreck clint in practice one year trying to make field? dunno...thinking landon cassel?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I stopped by the Dega track today and there are already a lot of fans parking their campers and motorhomes. Damn, it looks like a lot of fun. I wonder if Johali is going or if he is already there.
Not this year bud. I'm not sure my old heart could take it anymore. :D

That was the rule last year with the old GWC system and one attempt. It's just that lots of NASCAR fans didn't realize you have to TAKE the green flag just like you have to TAKE the checkered for it to count. It's not just a turn of phrase.
Define 'taking'. The green flag was waved, the lead car crossed the restart line AND the start finish line. If that wasn't 'taking' the green flag, then I don't understand what is.

A look back at Talladega.....

1984 fall race won by Dale Earnhardt.

No restrictor plates.

94,000 fans.

68 lead changes including a last lap pass by the winner.

Only two drivers lead more than 10 consecutive laps.

Margin of victory 1.66 seconds after a 27 lap charge to the finish.

Check out the race results here----> http://racing-reference.info/race/1984_Talladega_500/W

Man, that list of lead changes is amazing. Wow, how the racing once was there.

No restrictor plates.

94,000 fans.

Check out the race results here----> http://racing-reference.info/race/1984_Talladega_500/W

Weren't some of the late 90s - mid 00s Talladega races comparable though?

I like the bigger plate, we can not have Austin dillion's car in the stands. NBC would have a field day.

While I think it would be cool to see cup cars hitting 230 down the backstretch, if you took the plates off today's engines the racing wouldn't be unique anymore. Even with the size of track and high banking, at those speeds drivers would have to lift going into the corners. In effect Dega and Daytona would become nothing more than massive 1.5s.

Wasn't his car narrower? I thought that was the key. It wasn't illegal because they didn't measure the width of the car back then...

Reactions: Pat
Was just watching last falls' Talladega race. Forgot how great it was before the ending; clean, and a lot of action up front. Hoping for more of the same.

No restrictor plates.

94,000 fans.

and... what kind of horsepower were they running? Top speeds?

So we really need 6 hours of practice at a plate track? :confused: They could've had one hour practice for each series and had qualifying today but instead we'll have meaningless practice and have everything rained out tomorrow. #Nascarlogic

So we really need 6 hours of practice at a plate track? :confused: They could've had one hour practice for each series and had qualifying today but instead we'll have meaningless practice and have everything rained out tomorrow. #Nascarlogic
Other than to determine pit stall selection, do we really need qualifying at a plate race? Are there any tracks in racing where starting position is less important?

Other than to determine pit stall selection, do we really need qualifying at a plate race? Are there any tracks in racing where starting position is less important?

I'd rather watch qualifying then practice.
At least it has a smidge of something interesting. I hate nascars inflexibility when it comes to reading a ****** weather forecast

I'd rather watch qualifying then practice.
At least it has a smidge of something interesting. I hate nascars inflexibility when it comes to reading a ******* weather forecast
Their hands are tied by the television schedule (and radio to a much lesser extent), same as most other sports.

Back
Top Bottom