2017 Bristol - Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race - Pre Race Thread

I'll tell ya what. I am looking forward to the race but I am going to miss Carl, Rusty, Dale, DW, Cale, Alan and Jeff. Would be nice to see the Kurt of old go out and put a spanking on the field. Apologies to the Elliott Sadler and Jeff Burton fans as I won't miss them.

Also for you whippersnappers that only know DW as a guy with dyed hair that talks too much......well this guy used to own Bristol and he dominated for many years............happy memories and GO KURT!

Don't forget - Truck race tonight!

Note: All times are ET

WEDNESDAY, August 16
9:00-9:55 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
11:00-11:55 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
4:35 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS2 (Follow live)
8:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 200 (200 laps, 106.6 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
10:45 p.m.: Post-NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race

Sticky stuff in place.....

DHWRorgXUAIe4lP.jpg:large

The "Last Great Colosseum" thing seems really cheesy to me. I like "Racing the way it oughta be" branding better but it is only a personal preference.

One can hope he blows qualifying, but I won't be surprised if he puts a larger gap on the field than that.

Whaaa whaa Kyle Busch is fastest! Get some cheese with that wine. Don't hear anybody complaining that Bubba won with a blatantly cheated up truck Saturday, but as usual it depends on who the driver is

Whaaa whaa Kyle Busch is fastest! Get some cheese with that wine. Don't hear anybody complaining that Bubba won with a blatantly cheated up truck Saturday, but as usual it depends on who the driver is
Bud when Bubba and Kyle were both running KDB trucks there wasn't a week when it was one or the other or both cheating. keep up.

I live in Knoxville and people here have been into Bristol for years. There is little talk or buzz about it this year. Doesn't feel like Bristol week around here. Some of that comes from our lazy sports people in town. But I don't see many tickets for sale, no show cars in the area, not much of anything.

I think I have some knitting or crocheting or whatever that stuff is called to do tonight.

You might also consider initiating a thorough cleaning of the cat's liter box . . . :D

You might also consider initiating a thorough cleaning of the cat's liter box . . . :D
Not if your wife insisted on buying a $500 self cleaning one:owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit:

THURSDAY, August 17
1:00-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
3:00-3:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
12:15 p.m.: Cole Custer, Daniel Hemric and Matt Tifft
2:15 p.m.: Dale Earnhardt Jr.

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
2:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series

Some BMS history.....

Bobby_Bristol.jpg

1960s - The Beginning
When Bristol Motor Speedway opened in 1961, it could easily have a different name and in a different location.

The first proposed site for the speedway was in Piney Flats, Tenn., seven miles south of the current location.

But, according to Carl Moore, who built the track along with Larry Carrier and R.G. Pope, the idea met local opposition. The entrepreneurs were on record stating if anyone not in favor of the construction and existence of such a facility in the small community came forward to express their opposition, they would find another location. Some local citizens did, so, the track that could have been called Piney Flats International Speedway eventually was built on a dairy farm less than 10 miles to the north on Hwy. 11-E in Bristol.

Carrier and Moore had gotten the motivation after traveling to North Carolina in 1960 to attend the first event at Charlotte Motor Speedway - built by Charlotte businessman turned race promoter O. Bruton Smith (remember that name) and legendary driver Curtis Turner. It was from that trip the idea was spawned to build a speedway in Northeast Tennessee.

However, they wanted a smaller model of CMS, something with a more intimate setting and opted to erect a half-mile facility instead of mirroring the 1.5-mile track in Charlotte. It would reduce the amount of real estate needed for the project as well.

Work began on what was then called Bristol International Speedway in 1960 and it took approximately one year to finish. Carrier, Moore and Pope scratched many of their ideas for the track on envelopes and brown paper bags.

Purchase of the land on which BMS now sits, as well as construction of the track, cost approximately $600,000. The entire layout for BMS covered 100 acres and provided parking for more than 12,000 cars. The track itself was a perfect half-mile, measuring 60 feet wide on the straightaways and 75 feet wide in the turns, which were banked at 22 degrees.

Seating capacity for the very first NASCAR race at BMS, held on July 30, 1961, was 18,000. Prior to this race the speedway hosted weekly races.

read the rest here.....

https://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/media/track-history/

A crowd of 8,500 fans watched the Philadelphia Eagles take a 17-10 win over the Washington Redskins on Sept. 2, 1961 in a National Football League preseason game played in the infield of Bristol International Speedway, as it was known then.

57d0df6603257.image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom