2017 Indy 500

It's amazing how much difference a couple of degrees of track temperature makes.

That was fun. I seem to remember last year was cool to.
Oh well, bump day will be a forgotten memory before long.
We got a field of 33!

ABC's already on Wife Watch.
From your avatar I am guessing that good looking women doesn't offend you!

Like Taku is going to lift. lol.
He sure is fun to watch.

I don't mind watching Emma.
Especially when she was jumping up and down. Still, it's going to take something special to beat Ashley Judd in the rain.

Family matters to people at 230 mph.

Here's no harm in it, imo.

As long as it's not on the last lap when the leaders are side by side. Ide be fine with them keeping the Wifey cam on the whole time during yellows.

Last edited:
We at least need some surrogate bumped drivers.

We at least need some surrogate bumped drivers.

Chevy and Honda won't supply 34 motors. That's part of why so few new teams are coming into Indycar. If you can't get an engine, why bother?

A few years back Shank bought a car and was ready to go, but neither Chevy nor Honda would lease him and engine.

Chevy and Honda won't supply 34 motors. That's part of why so few new teams are coming into Indycar. If you can't get an engine, why bother?

A few years back Shank bought a car and was ready to go, but neither Chevy nor Honda would lease him and engine.
Yeah, which is why they've been so active in pursuing a third OEM over the last year and a half. Honda is already stretched pretty thin between engines and engineers with how much of the field they cover. If someone came in with even just eight engines or so it'd be a big relief.

And honestly, it's more sad than anything seeing people get bumped these days. No one really wants to see Pippa Mann or Buddy Lazier be the 34th quickest and headed home. Unless we get some more engines out there it's not going to be like the days where Penske was going home or even 2011 when a bunch of old IR-05s were lying around to be used one last time and Andretti had cars missing the race.

How many more does Indy have to maim and , and kill before they shut their doors, or fix the problem? I cannot even watch their speedway races anymore.
It is fair to ask the question Joe has posed when contemplating certain sporting activities that are extremely dangerous on a perpetual basis... for example, when the dangers cannot be mitigated, but much safer alternatives can be provided. There are limits to the activities a civilized society will organize and condone (and sell for a profit), I believe.

However, Indianapolis Motor Speedway is not such a place. IMS has an excellent safety record covering many years, and also has been at the epicenter of many safety advances that benefit motor racing around the world. Inventing and developing SAFER walls is just one example.

If you review IMS history back to the millennium, a span of 17 years, there have been two fatal motorsports accidents. IndyCar driver Tony Renna crashed in a 2002 tire test, the only oval track fatality. And amateur motorcycle racer Peter Lenz fell on the road course in 2010 and was struck by a following bike. For perspective, IMS is a facility that operates year-round, with multiple racing events plus a ton of testing.

If you go back 20 more years, to 1980, you would add three more drivers... Gordon Smiley 1982, Jovy Marcelo 1992, and Scott Brayton 1996. This would be plucking statistics from an earlier era when safety conditions were antiquated compared to today. (Two of the three were basilar skull fractures before HANS devices.) You'd also find one spectator hit by a flying wheel in 1987, before wheel tethers were used.

@joe h , I invite you to join me in protesting the Isle of Man TT, a bloodshed event of such magnitude that civilized society should step in and demand that the racing shift to safer circuits. The Isle of Man TT is a perpetual killing machine. Since 2000, an average of 3.4 racer fatalities per year, with 5 deaths last year in 5 separate accidents. Since the TT resumed after World War II, 71 years ago, death has been avoided only twice, 1982 and 2001. And there are much safer alternatives available, closed circuit racing venues that offer all of the good parts of motorcycle racing, with only a tiny fraction of the bad parts.

Please read this thread and join in. I guarantee your opinion will not be popular, but it will be correct and proper for a civilized society in the 21st century, in my opinion. Can you imagine the Indy 500 continuing on as always if 57 racers had been killed there since 2000? No, I can't either, but that is what is happening on the Isle of Man.

One last day on track before Carb Day.

IndyCar practice: 12:30-4
Indy Lights test: 4:30-6

Please read this thread and join in. I guarantee your opinion will not be popular, but it will be correct and proper for a civilized society in the 21st century, in my opinion.

Where do we draw the line on what's too dangerous and what isn't? How ridiculous can we get with this line of thinking? Hell, people die all the time having sex, and I don't see a ban on that, yet, that is. Sex is too dangerous, so big brother is going to cut your pecker off, for your own good, that is.

I guess taking away people's right to keep responsibility for their own safety might work in communist countries and dictatorships, but it's not going to fly in a free society like America where we can still enjoy scuba diving, sky diving and yes, going stupid fast in cars. We've had enough of big brother stomping on us for our own good, which is in part why we threw most of the establishment under the bus in the last election.

If you don't have the huevos to get on a bike, don't get on the bike. How much more simple can it be? But if you don't have the huevos to get on the bike, don't try to tell anyone else they can't do it. In other words, worry about your own safety, because they are in control of theirs.

Where do we stop with this? More people are killed every year scuba diving and sky diving rock climbing, football and even having sex than motor racing, so where is the cry to ban those? Where do you want to stop with allowing other people how much of a risk you are allowed to take with your own life?

As far as Indianapolis being too dangerous, even Bourdais himself will tell you he drove into turn two too hard. The guy had been on the edge all month and if you do that long enough, eventually it's going to take a big bite out of your ass. Everyone who straps in understands this.

You hit a wall at 200 mph and only got a broken pelvis. In what world is that not considered a good deal? That crash was nearly identical to Gordon Smiley's, and if you don't remember that one, it's more than easy enough to google. In spite of all of that, Bourdias plans to be back in the car for Sonoma.

Every generation of man since WWII has had a lower testorone level than the generation before them. We are slowly turning into a species exclusively of females, regardless of our chromosomes. The men who are still men act like men. They are strong and fearless, so instead of trying to hamper what they do, get out of the way and let them show us how it's done.

Its going to be even crazier next year, I love this time of the year with Monaco, Indy, and then the 600.

Perfection at its finest.
It's really my most favorite day of the year. Sorry Christmas and Easter.
Remind me whats coming next year?

upload_2017-5-23_10-44-38.png

Oh yes , the 2018 kit.

Not sure I like the rear bumpers being eliminated. I guess I got used to seeing them and now the car looks naked without them.

Also, with the bumpers they can bump and grind a little now, but if you run over a driven wheel you're going to the moon. I liked the speedway bumpers a few years ago where the wing sat between the two and it all looked integrated. They just looked fast.

Nice to see the airbox finally gone, or at least cut down in size. I think that will probably be met with unanimous approval

Turning the sponsor blocker around is a bad move. Now they have just turned it into a ramp. You hit that thing and it's definitely launching you into the guy's front wheel.

Finally, if we learned anything from Bourdais' crash, it's that we don't need a new tub.

Sorry to post this so late, but ESPN classic is having an Indianapolis 500 marathon and it will run right up until Friday morning. They are showing 1986 right now and are working forward.

The weather is rough this weekend. Hopefully it blows out before Sunday

I hope some of the Honda motors go the distance. Can you imagine Fernando's frustration if he is running in the top 5 at 150 laps and his motor.... No, I won't even type it.

Back
Top Bottom