2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

I do. Again, no other sport's fans act like this.

I've been enough of a big baseball fan at times to know that Bud Selig was hated and just about every decision he made was bashed. Some fans complain bitterly about rules changes, others don't, there are rigorous debates just as there are and should be with NASCAR. NFL fans loathe Roger Goodell, and there were a lot of debates on football forums last year about what caused the ratings declines.

Your experience is yours and I don't discredit it. However, what I see is broad insecurity among prominent figures in NASCAR, and insecurity among a segment of fans that believe that all criticism is a detriment. I think you just chase off more people if you tell anyone who isn't strictly in line that they're doing it all wrong.

I think nowadays everything with the exception of football is a niche sport. It's amazing in this day that football is truly as big as it is. Really nothing is close to big time college football and the NFL

I pretty much agree that the NFL is the only remaining truly national sport. However, some sports are better positioned to capitalize on the increasing segmentation and localization of interest and consumption, and some are not.

I've been enough of a big baseball fan at times to know that Bud Selig was hated and just about every decision he made was bashed.

They bashed the commissioner. They didn't run around and talk about the sport is dead and tell people not to watch and talk about how the sport itself sucked.

Every sports fan hates the commissioner of the league. NHL fans call Gary Bettman "Chairman Mao". NFL fans boo Roger Goodell so much, he's embraced it.

NASCAR fans act totally and completely different. They don't limit it to Brian France. They talk about how everything sucks because of the playoff. They can't enjoy something they claim to love because much of the fanbase consists of perpetually angry rednecks. They could watch the best race in history and bitch about it.

I'm not saying this stuff to "defend NASCAR" or anything. I'm saying it because I'm sick of the negativity. And, yes, I think if people who hated the sport quit watching, it would be better off. Fans who love the sport won't flood social media and ****** message boards like this with their endless negativity.

I went to Martinsville in April and covered a great race, one of the best I've ever seen. I got home and all I saw on social media was people bitching about the stands being empty and a ****** ****** article from Jalopnik bitching about the Monster Energy Girls. Richmond, again, great race... and all fans did after the race was talk about empty grandstands. I'm sick of it.

Playoff races are up against the NFL. Even I watch the NFL instead of NASCAR on Sundays.

I'm making a point about the fanbases. Even here, your comments are NHL = good, ratings = don't care, but NASCAR = bad, ratings = I care because it proves I hate it.

I mean, NASCAR fans are doing more damage to the sport than anything. Why the **** would anyone want to watch when all NASCAR fans do is "the ratings suck and nobody watches" and "the sport sucks" and constantly ****mouth it? If you guys really love the sport, you'd encourage people to tune in or tell them to go to their local track, not constantly ****mouth it and tell everyone how terrible it is.

Hockey's low ratings are excused. They're using the same excuses as NASCAR's using for their lowest ratings in a quarter century. And even their "high ratings" in the Stanley Cup Finals don't really draw that many viewers. The games on NBCSN get less viewers than the news on MSNBC.

But this is my point. NHL, and NFL, and NBA, and MLB fans are different.

As for excitement... ice hockey is far and away the most exciting sport in the world. Not even close. Yet, even with that "good demographic", their ratings are equivalent of a CW show. So, maybe it's not about the excitement level. :idunno:

NASCAR has the worst fans in all of sports. Fans could watch the most thrilling race in history and still ****mouth it nonstop because they hate Danica and they hate Brian France and the race was only exciting because of "manufactured drama" or something. All NASCAR fans do it bitch and whine.

Again, they know the ratings woes, but instead of doing things to get other people interested in it, as NHL fans (for instance) do, they ****mouth it.

The only place I speak of Nascar is on this forum as I don't know anyone in the real world that follows the series any longer. A bunch of us used to but as of about 5-6 years ago I was left on my lonesome. I gather the Nascar criticism you are speaking of is on some type of social media that I am unaware of. People must be really weak minded if they allow others to tell them what is good and bad and have them follow it.

They bashed the commissioner. They didn't run around and talk about the sport is dead and tell people not to watch and talk about how the sport itself sucked.

Every sports fan hates the commissioner of the league. NHL fans call Gary Bettman "Chairman Mao". NFL fans boo Roger Goodell so much, he's embraced it.

NASCAR fans act totally and completely different. They don't limit it to Brian France. They talk about how everything sucks because of the playoff. They can't enjoy something they claim to love because much of the fanbase consists of perpetually angry rednecks. They could watch the best race in history and bitch about it.

I'm not saying this stuff to "defend NASCAR" or anything. I'm saying it because I'm sick of the negativity. And, yes, I think if people who hated the sport quit watching, it would be better off. Fans who love the sport won't flood social media and ****** message boards like this with their endless negativity.

I went to Martinsville in April and covered a great race, one of the best I've ever seen. I got home and all I saw on social media was people bitching about the stands being empty and a ****** ******* article from Jalopnik bitching about the Monster Energy Girls. Richmond, again, great race... and all fans did after the race was talk about empty grandstands. I'm sick of it.

Most of the races here get good reviews on the "rate the race threads" as for some an 8.5 is about as low as they go and a lot of people are consistently 9-10's so it ain't all bad. Unless you have to read a lot about Nascar I would pass on the types of articles that make you sick as it is not worth getting upset over and doesn't change anything.

EVERY sport is shedding viewers. NASCAR's been doing it longer. I've always thought the high ratings the 2006 Daytona 500 got was one of the worst things to happen for the sport. Such a terrible race, and a horrendous broadcast (Bill Weber, the fog, NBC's generic approach), and a lot of casual viewers tuned in for the first time to see that sh!t. Same with 2013, to be honest.
By and large it doesn't seem anyone is seeing the declines at the volume and consistency NASCAR and golf are. It seems like it's the same story for them every week. For everyone else there are at least bright spots here and there or the trends tend to fluctuate, peaks and troughs and all that. I think it was the 2015-2016 season the NHL had their best or second-best regular season since 1994. The NBA's 2015-2016 was their best in several years. And despite their regular seasons being down from those two marks this year their playoffs are trending upwards pretty well at the moment.

And, as @gnomesayin has stated, local TV is always a great fallback for sports that start to experience national declines. Fox Sports commissioned a report several months back that said sports fans, on average, consider RSNs more essential than national channels like NBCSN, FS1, and ESPN and behind only the four major broadcast networks.

Most of the races here get good reviews on the "rate the race threads" as for some an 8.5 is about as low as they go and a lot of people are consistently 9-10's so it ain't all bad. Unless you have to read a lot about Nascar I would pass on the types of articles that make you sick as it is not worth getting upset over and doesn't change anything.
Agreed, if you went back through the years you'd probably find this is the highest-rated season so far in quite some time.

I was at Kansas this weekend and attendance didn't seem too bad. Not as good as when I came in 2011 but wasn't a ghost town.

I enjoy stage racing especially when you're there in person. I came to Kansas in 2011 and there was one caution in 500 miles one of the most boring races I've ever seen I think Brad won on fuel mileage.

I was at Kansas this weekend and attendance didn't seem too bad. Not as good as when I came in 2011 but wasn't a ghost town.

I enjoy stage racing especially when you're there in person. I came to Kansas in 2011 and there was one caution in 500 miles one of the most boring races I've ever seen I think Brad won on fuel mileage.

I didn't hear anything about attendance problems at Kansas but I would be surprised if there were not quite a few empty seats as is normally the case these days.

They're was also a controversial fight on showtime, a horse race, Indy preliminary qualifying, and a NCAA softball tournament. How on earth could the at one time argued number two sport in America compete?

Brian did say that Nascar was second only to the NFL and gaining ground but times sure have changed.

The All-Star Race, a very special night “for the fans“, continues to be among the least watched races of the season by, you know, the fans. That is until the "playoffs" start, and the fans disappear to an even greater degree.

They're was also a controversial fight on showtime, a horse race, Indy preliminary qualifying, and a NCAA softball tournament. How on earth could the at one time argued number two sport in America compete?
The whole "we faced stronger competition this year" statement (which has been paraded around several times this year from these PR accounts) also seems to fly in the face of the "everything is dying" theory as well.

The All-Star Race, a very special night “for the fans“, continues to be among the least watched races of the season by, you know, the fans. That is until the "playoffs" start, and the fans disappear to an even greater degree.

Oh the irony! I wonder what is going to happen to some of the August-September-October races this year as some of them were very poorly viewed last year to the point there could be a couple of races with less than 2 million viewers. Less than 2 million viewers for a non delayed race would be a new mark of shame.

The whole "we faced stronger competition this year" statement (which has been paraded around several times this year from these PR accounts) also seems to fly in the face of the "everything is dying" theory as well.

Yeah it always makes me laugh when people try and pawn off Nascar's woes as being the same as stick and ball sports. How many arenas and stadiums have turned ripping out seats into a growth industry like Nascar? How many sports have lost half their audience? How many have half their fans over the age of 55? It staggers the mind to think some have the temerity to speak such rot.

Without trying to dig too deep, seems like 1.5 is about the going number when everything is left to FS1...

Without trying to dig too deep, seems like 1.5 is about the going number when everything is left to FS1...

The last year the ASR was on Speed in 2013 it had a 2.2 and around 3.8 million viewers which was similar to what FS1 got in 2014.

The last year the ASR was on Speed in 2013 it had a 2.2 and around 3.8 million viewers which was similar to what FS1 got in 2014.

Crazy stuff right there. Seems like 1.5 is starting to look like a base point for this year anyway. I could see the coke 600 still drawing some attention but at the end I'd say it follows similar trends to races this season... dropping atleast 0.2 or 0.3 off what it was last year...

Crazy stuff right there. Seems like 1.5 is starting to look like a base point for this year anyway. I could see the coke 600 still drawing some attention but at the end I'd say it follows similar trends to races this season... dropping atleast 0.2 or 0.3 off what it was last year...

As recently as 2013 the Charlotte race had over 8 million viewers and last year had 5.7. If current trends hold this year's race should do between 5-10% less.

Looks like about -13% in viewership, -18.5% in ratings: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-5-20-21-2017.html

I've been wondering where the gains/losses are coming from so I went to last year's demo numbers for comparison. There were gains in the P18-34 and the F12-34 and losses everywhere else. Substantial ones, too.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...cable-originals-network-finals-5-20-2017.html

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...cable-originals-network-finals-5-21-2016.html

So NASCAR ranked 3rd out of 50 cable programs on Saturday. That's not bad.

What sticks out to me is the very high percentage of old geezers that make up Nascar's audience compared to other programs. Good, bad or indifferent it does stick out like a sore thumb.

What sticks out to me is the very high percentage of old geezers that make up Nascar's audience
Why do "YOU" think that all older Nascar fans are "Geezers" which is derogatory, and what exactly is wrong with being a geezer. And by the way the term "old geezer" is an oxymoron.

gee·zer

ˈɡēzər/
noun
NORTH AMERICAN informal derogatory
  1. an old man.
    • BRITISH informal

"he strikes me as a decent geezer"

Why do "YOU" think that all older Nascar fans are "Geezers" which is derogatory, and what exactly is wrong with being a geezer. And by the way the term "old geezer" is an oxymoron.

gee·zer

ˈɡēzər/
noun
NORTH AMERICAN informal derogatory
  1. an old man.
    • BRITISH informal

"he strikes me as a decent geezer"

I have lived in several different countries and geezer was never a derogatory term in any of them but perhaps it is in the US although I have rarely heard the term in use. I have always taken geezer to mean a man that has a few years under his belt, I consider myself to be a geezer and being a big Black Sabbath fan I figured Geezer Butler would have never allowed himself to be called that name if it meant something negative. I agree with you about "Old Geezer" being redundant as it is no different than "reverting back", "final outcome" or "false pretense."

Vehicle Identification Number number.

Personal Identification Number number.

Signed, An Old Geezer.

Looks like about -13% in viewership, -18.5% in ratings: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-5-20-21-2017.html

I've been wondering where the gains/losses are coming from so I went to last year's demo numbers for comparison. There were gains in the P18-34 and the F12-34 and losses everywhere else. Substantial ones, too.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...cable-originals-network-finals-5-20-2017.html

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...cable-originals-network-finals-5-21-2016.html

A huge increase in females 12-34 (nearly 50%) but a decrease in males 12-34 (and every other segment)? Who'da thunk it? Honestly severe fluctuations like that make me think they are a) random or b) measuring errors.

A huge increase in females 12-34 (nearly 50%) but a decrease in males 12-34 (and every other segment)? Who'da thunk it? Honestly severe fluctuations like that make me think they are a) random or b) measuring errors.

Something seems off to me as well and it could also have to do with a small sampling sizes.

I have never taken offense at terms that aren't mean spirited and what you say makes sense.
I agree Skoal...... some folks get their panties in a wad really easily..... I say stuff sometimes that means nothing to me...... but... might be offensive to other folks.... it all comes down to different folks and origins.....

and...... some folks take offence to anything you say......

After looking at Martinsville and Kansas it seems like those three middle groups (P18-34, F12-34, M12-34) are the only ones that tend to vary. Probably because those are the three smallest groups so they would be susceptible to that stuff. All of the others have been consistently down. We're about to hit a big cable stretch after the 600 so it'll be easier to piece some sort of trend together.

and...... some folks take offence to anything you say......
And from a different perspective some people may just get tired of the constant holier than thou attitudes from the same people over and over. It gets really old. You excluded of course. :D

Ratings for Sunday's marquee Verizon IndyCar Series and Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series events dipped about 13% from a year ago.

The 101st running of Indianapolis 500, won by Andretti Autosport's Takuma Sato, averaged a 3.6 household rating in metered markets compared to a 4.1 in 2016.

Fox's telecast of NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600, which was interrupted by rain at Charlotte Motor Speedway, had a 2.8 rating and a 6 share as Austin Dillon earned his first career Cup Series victory.

Back
Top Bottom