2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

The Indy 500 peaked at a 4.2, and earned a 14.7 rating in Indy, up from comparable 12.7 for delayed telecast in '15 (33.6 when live in '16).

UK – Alonso’s Indy 500 exploit peaks with 203,000 viewers

Wow! In the U.K. the #Indy500 went from 12,000 average viewers in 2016 to 191,000 average viewers this year.

Via @f1broadcasting, #Indy500 averaged 443K viewers in Spain on @movistar_es, while @F1's Monaco Grand Prix got 212K on a Movistar channel.

Not much to take away from a rain-delayed event, at least until some sort of hour-by-hour breakdown comes out.

Charlotte dropped 600,000 viewers from 2014 to 2015 and 700,000 viewers from 2015 to 2016 and probably would have lost about a half million viewers from 2016 to 2017 if there was no delay IMO.

Holy cow that takes me by surprise so many people are aware of the Indy 500 that don't even like auto racing I would have thought it would at least be close to the Daytona 500 if not more wow
It's been like that ever since the split.

indy500ratingschart.gif

Long live the vision.

After last year's races ran roughly 500,000 down from the 2015 levels, I figured things would start to stabilize this year....however it appears numbers are off another 500,000 or so on the average. It appears a good number of the races run so far this year are down 2 to 3 million from just 3 years ago. Going to be interesting to see how low they end up going before they eventually level off.

After last year's races ran roughly 500,000 down from the 2015 levels, I figured things would start to stabilize this year....however it appears numbers are off another 500,000 or so on the average. It appears a good number of the races run so far this year are down 2 to 3 million from just 3 years ago. Going to be interesting to see how low they end up going before they eventually level off.

I thought things would have stabilized 2-3 years ago with some marginal growth but big chunks of the fan base continue to walk away. If current trends hold Nascar will have its first races that dip perilously close to 2 million viewers with the slight possibility of sinking under that number. Regardless it will become a reality in 2018.

its easy if the product is bad the ratings will be low

There are people that will tell you that all sports programming is down and that Nascar has a lot of viewers that use illegal streams to watch the races but they are not counted in the final numbers.

With every change they slice viewers off. They fixed what wasn't broken and continue to break it more. The only thing I've seen get majority positive feedback is stage racing. I think if they eliminated the playoffs but kept stage racing, they may see some viewers return.

With every change they slice viewers off. They fixed what wasn't broken and continue to break it more. The only thing I've seen get majority positive feedback is stage racing. I think if they eliminated the playoffs but kept stage racing, they may see some viewers return.

Yes, I'd agree with this.....instead of resetting points after the 26th race, I could totally live with doing 40 down to 1 in points based on finishing order, and 10 to 1 in points to the top 10 after each stage (but make the stages equal in number of laps, even if they have to make it 3 stages like they did with the 600 for a total of 70 points possible per race) and whoever accumulates the most after 36 races is your champion. Other than that, the only thing that would make stage racing even better is keep the race green at the end of a stage instead of throwing the yellow flag. The way I see it is if drivers are racing hard against one another as a stage ends, there's no reason to throw a caution and bring that hard racing to a stop.

Yes, I'd agree with this.....instead of resetting points after the 26th race, I could totally live with doing 40 down to 1 in points based on finishing order, and 10 to 1 in points to the top 10 after each stage (but make the stages equal in number of laps, even if they have to make it 3 stages like they did with the 600 for a total of 70 points possible per race) and whoever accumulates the most after 36 races is your champion. Other than that, the only thing that would make stage racing even better is keep the race green at the end of a stage instead of throwing the yellow flag. The way I see it is if drivers are racing hard against one another as a stage ends, there's no reason to throw a caution and bring that hard racing to a stop.
Absolutely I forgot to mention that. It's not like they need the break to count up the points or anything. It's basically a built in TV timeout.

There was some guy here on the forums who was adamant that as soon as cup drivers were finally kicked out of this series the ratings would shine. LOL

There is some guy here that will tell you that everything is fine as the networks are happy and are selling all the commercial spots. I kid you not.

NASCAR needs to have a 32-34 race schedule with the stage points remaining the same, but the final stage points need altered IMO. If you win the race you should get 50 or 60 points.

I still consider "stage points" as more of a bonus point system like most laps led than making it part of the overall finish of the race.

Maybe a return to the regional tracks of the Southeast of would help ratings.

The overnight's must either so low or so high for Dover that a manual recount is being done and dangling and dented chads are being examined thoroughly.

Also, the only hourly breakdown for the 600 I could find was that the 18-49 was a 0.9 up until the delay at ~ 8 PM, down from 1.3 last year.

According to Jayski the first Dover race had just a hair under 4 million viewers last year and if that were to drop to around 3.5 million it would be par for the course. Thanks very much for the info.

The racing has been fantastic this year. Just need a big compelling rivalry to garner ratings and attention.

The racing has been fantastic this year. Just need a big compelling rivalry to garner ratings and attention.

Do you think a rivalry is even possible in 2017? Sponsors don't let drivers out of their little box, you're not going to hear anybody speak their minds like actual adults... Hence "everything is great." Nascar certainly isn't going to let two drivers go at it without a swift visit to the trailer after the race. "Quintessential Nascar" is long gone a far as that goes.

From a long time viewer and first time poster.....I'm not sure if this was covered but a lot of people in talk to have / are finding the TV coverage on FOX unwatchable.......Darrell sounds lost most of the race as to what Mike and Jeff talking about only to break in with something about a Toyota car or driver...nearly always....or he adds the word "I" or Junebug......Michael adds nothing at add....pre-race...during the race....NOTHING......as does Chris Myers. Larry Mac again just sounds a day day late and many dollars short.
Just bring us the race....think of Ned Jarrett, Bob Jenkins and Buddy Baker calling a race and then think of what FOX gives us....yea it makes your ears bleed.
The reason I bring this up is everyone talks about the TV ratings dropping like a stone but don't talk about how it is delivered to us on the TV itself, If every other things is "on the table" why not FOX Sports?

again if this was talked about before...I missed it

From a long time viewer and first time poster.....I'm not sure if this was covered but a lot of people in talk to have / are finding the TV coverage on FOX unwatchable.......Darrell sounds lost most of the race as to what Mike and Jeff talking about only to break in with something about a Toyota car or driver...nearly always....or he adds the word "I" or Junebug......Michael adds nothing at add....pre-race...during the race....NOTHING......as does Chris Myers. Larry Mac again just sounds a day day late and many dollars short.
Just bring us the race....think of Ned Jarrett, Bob Jenkins and Buddy Baker calling a race and then think of what FOX gives us....yea it makes your ears bleed.
The reason I bring this up is everyone talks about the TV ratings dropping like a stone but don't talk about how it is delivered to us on the TV itself, If every other things is "on the table" why not FOX Sports?

again if this was talked about before...I missed it
Welcome to the forums! Many of us agree with your thoughts about FOX coverage and TV coverage in general. A "Crank It Up" throughout the entire race would be welcomed with open arms for most of us (minus the erratic camera shots).

If it were only that easy. People on here said that after Kyle Busch walked into his own ass kicking it would lead to something and it never did.

The Dover race this past weekend earned a 1.9 while last night's NHL playoff game earned a 4.14. Sure, it's playoff Hockey..... but still.

Yeah, Rinne played very well to say the least. Your point is well taken as Nascar getting killed by any type of hockey used to be unheard of. When you factor in the SCF participants are both smaller markets and not marquis locations it is really big.

Back
Top Bottom