2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

Ouch. I guess the Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart fans have moved on to other pursuits instead of NASCAR.
Not even close. The sport has been dying for a while now with Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon as the stars. It is more a factor of nascar making so many changes the old fans stopped watching. I myself havent watched much in years but am going to try and give it a shot again this time. When guys like Dale Earnhardt, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin and BIll Elliott were gone that had more of an impact that Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon. I might even say Tony Stewart and to a lesser extent Jeff Gordon are another reason why the the fans left. When those are your two big stars along with Jimmie Johnson idk.

Good news.

Hope Atlanta is up as well & Vegas doesnt have record lows again.

I like watching Chase Elliott drive over Jeff Gordon in the 24.

Maybe Hendrick will eventually kick out Kahne for Bowman in the 5.

I like watching Chase Elliott drive over Jeff Gordon in the 24.

Maybe Hendrick will eventually kick out Kahne for Bowman in the 5.
I didnt want to fall into the "Im rooting for chase because hes in the 24" crowd - but I was impressed with several of his xfinity races & his rookie year sold me. Several moves he made reminded me of Gordon circa 1998-2001when I was a kid. His aggressiveness & raw talent, very much like Blaney, have sealed my fandom.

"

I don't get the obsession over ratings from fans. Do people care about ratings when The Walking Dead comes on? Supergirl:wub: comes on tonight and I know she's got a 10/10 rating in my house.
My demographic pulls your Supergirl rating down to a 5.0.

As far as television ratings for NASCAR go. It's always interesting to look at the trend. Some take the pleasure with the lower rated races and some would simply like to see the demise of the sport and can't accept anything other than the negative. I think it's pretty cool to see that the rating took a climb this year. Hopefully we can see more of the same.

As far as television ratings for NASCAR go. It's always interesting to look at the trend. Some take the pleasure with the lower rated races and some would simply like to see the demise of the sport and can't accept anything other than the negative. I think it's pretty cool to see that the rating took a climb this year. Hopefully we can see more of the same.

Trends are interesting, but it's ridiculous with fans.

"The grandstands are empty" ... "the ratings are down to a 2.7, NASCAR is dead".

The increase is very encouraging for NASCAR and its TV partners. Doesn't matter that it is 'only' a 7% bump, and still well below 2015 and years before that. The key is reversing the downward trend and proving that they are not in perpetual contraction mode. Too early to say what it means for the balance of the season, but this was a success from a TV business standpoint. I got the impression Fox was advertising it more heavily than last year, and it apparently worked to some extent.

The increase is very encouraging for NASCAR and its TV partners. Doesn't matter that it is 'only' a 7% bump, and still well below 2015 and years before that. The key is reversing the downward trend and proving that they are not in perpetual contraction mode. Too early to say what it means for the balance of the season, but this was a success from a TV business standpoint. I got the impression Fox was advertising it more heavily than last year, and it apparently worked to some extent.
Daytona Day? Maybe it worked?

Commie Kickball is enjoyable when one watches their grand kids play.

That said, racing is enjoyable when one visits their local short track to watch their and/or others' grand kids play.

Commie Kickball is enjoyable when one watches their grand kids play.

That said, racing is enjoyable when one visits their local short track to watch their and/or others' grand kids play.

Commie Kickball...LOL. :biggrin:

Exactly as if the ratings were flat it would have been a victory so the increase makes it even sweeter. The next 4 dates have always had good support so I don't think we will know anything until the first Martinsville date.

Well, Daytona 500 sold out in person.
And TV viewer ship up 7%.
That is a double win. Let us not get too crazy.....but after pretty much
seeing only negative numbers for quite a while....we should feel good.
Maybe NASCAR has turned a corner......maybe.

I believe the 500 has been sold out both years since the capacity was reduced to 100K but it is still a very impressive crowd. It will be interesting to see if any other races sell out this year and if TV ratings can stay flat or receive modest increases .

C5tUBTVUYAAWzkV.jpg

Daytona 500 Ratings Among Lowest Ever Despite Viewership Bump

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/02/daytona-500-ratings-low-fox-viewership-increase/

Key 2017 DAYTONA 500 highlights are below:

• The race averaged 11.922 million viewers on FOX, up +5% over 2016's average audience of 11.357 million, peaking at 14.031 million viewers from 6:15-6:30 PM ET
• The DAYTONA 500 scored a 6.6/15 HH rating, which is flat overall compared to the 2016 edition but delivers positive gains across key male and adult demographics:

Untitled.jpg

• The race projects to rank as the highest-rated and most-watched sports event of the weekend and the highest-rated and most-watched sports event since the Feb. 5 Super Bowl on FOX
• The DAYTONA 500 projects to rank as FOX's highest-rated and most-watched telecast of any kind since Super Bowl Sunday
• The race continues to remain the No. 1 motor sports event in television
• Top-Five Markets: Core NASCAR markets led the way with Greensboro, N.C., finishing first with a 17.5/31, followed by Greenville, S.C. (16.5/28), Indianapolis (14.4/26), Knoxville, Tenn. (12.7/22) and Jacksonville, Fla. (12.4/22). Markets that experienced the largest year-over-year increases include Austin, Texas (+111%), San Diego (+74%), Oklahoma City (+49%) and Norfolk, Va. (+47%). Yesterday's race also saw significant gains in America's biggest markets, including Chicago (+18%), Philadelphia (+32%), Washington, D.C. (+18%) and Atlanta (+20%).

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/18783922/daytona-500-tv-ratings

The company I work for is having a tough time reaching the millennial demographic.Wife and I were out to dinner the other night and a big group of young adults came in and we were sitting waiting for a table.They were all sitting together and everyone had their cell phones out,no talking between them.I get mad at my wife when we are out together and she answers her work phone.I think all sports are going to have a tough time reaching this group.

The company I work for is having a tough time reaching the millennial demographic.Wife and I were out to dinner the other night and a big group of young adults came in and we were sitting waiting for a table.They were all sitting together and everyone had their cell phones out,no talking between them.I get mad at my wife when we are out together and she answers her work phone.I think all sports are going to have a tough time reaching this group.

I agree as things have changed a lot in my time. When I was growing up it was mainly 2 parent families with all the kids having the same mom and dad. There was a dinner time where everyone sat down and discussed their day and then it was back outside to do something provided all homework was done.

I am not trying to say my time was better but we had stationary land lines to communicate with or we had to speak face to face which was good enough at the time. When you were together with other people you were really with them as you didn't have other distractions.

I don't get the obsession over ratings from fans. Do people care about ratings when The Walking Dead comes on? Supergirl:wub: comes on tonight and I know she's got a 10/10 rating in my house.
I'm convinced some"fans" basically watch just to complain about ratings, empty stands, and how it ain't like the good ole days. It's like alright we get it.

60940264.jpg

My wish would be that ratings increase well enough to reach a point where there's a greater influx of significant sponsorship, increased OEM involvement, and subsequently, a deeper field. It is intellectually dishonest to suggest that following ratings is only for those who wish to see NASCAR fail and that they have no effect on the competitive landscape, imo.

My kids and their friends stream about everything they watch either on smart tv or iPad.I would hate to have a job at Time Warner Cable,not sure where this is going to leave them.

Cable is dying. Satellite TV will outlast them solely because a large percentage of this country will never have access to unmetered high speed internet.

I'm convinced some"fans" basically watch just to complain about ratings, empty stands, and how it ain't like the good ole days. It's like alright we get it.

60940264.jpg
They do the same thing over in drag racing...even when there are sellout crowds like they had at a few races last year.:)

My wish would be that ratings increase well enough to reach a point where there's a greater influx of significant sponsorship, increased OEM involvement, and subsequently, a deeper field. It is intellectually dishonest to suggest that following ratings is only for those who wish to see NASCAR fail and that they have no effect on the competitive landscape, imo.

I agree as the last thing I want to see is Nascar fail but with attendance at races lower than ever and viewership levels on a steady decline I am not going to ignore the elephant in the room either.

My kids and their friends stream about everything they watch either on smart tv or iPad.I would hate to have a job at Time Warner Cable,not sure where this is going to leave them.

They will eventually be an Internet/phone only company. Somebody has to still supply the internet services as well as phone services for companies.

They will eventually be an Internet/phone only company. Somebody has to still supply the internet services as well as phone services for companies.

The cable companies will be like utilities, supplying the bandwidth. The future of media is the heavy hitters like Apple, Amazon and Netflix. They have the cash to reinvent the media industry.

Back
Top Bottom