2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

So basically flat. Oh well. It sure was a good crowd in the stands yesterday. Fox said up 20% from last year.

So basically flat. Oh well. It sure was a good crowd in the stands yesterday. Fox said up 20% from last year.

I agree as dropping from 6.8 million viewers in 2016 to 6.6 yesterday is no biggie at all. It is quite possible the next 3 races will all eclipse 7 million viewers and that would be great.

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Atlanta scored a 3.6 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, down a tick from last year (3.7), down 29% from 2015 (5.1), and the lowest for the second race of the season since at least 2000. The previous low was set last year.

The second race of the season - previously Phoenix, Fontana and Rockingham - has traditionally been NASCAR's biggest TV draw outside of Daytona. It routinely topped a 6.0 overnight during NASCAR's 2000s heyday and as recently as nine years ago had a 6.1 for rain-delayed coverage opposite the Academy Awards.

Keep in mind that with the slight decline in overnights, final ratings could still increase over last year's 4.1.

Despite the lower numbers, NASCAR was the top sporting event of a weekend that also included the Duke-North Carolina college basketball game (2.6).

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/18841954/atlanta-tv-ratings-posted

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Atlanta scored a 3.6 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, down a tick from last year (3.7), down 29% from 2015 (5.1), and the lowest for the second race of the season since at least 2000. The previous low was set last year.

The second race of the season - previously Phoenix, Fontana and Rockingham - has traditionally been NASCAR's biggest TV draw outside of Daytona. It routinely topped a 6.0 overnight during NASCAR's 2000s heyday and as recently as nine years ago had a 6.1 for rain-delayed coverage opposite the Academy Awards.

Keep in mind that with the slight decline in overnights, final ratings could still increase over last year's 4.1.

Despite the lower numbers, NASCAR was the top sporting event of a weekend that also included the Duke-North Carolina college basketball game (2.6).

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/18841954/atlanta-tv-ratings-posted

No discernible positive change in ratings despite ALL the changes and promises to make the sport more exciting and "edgy."

Reminds me of lyrics from a Springsteen song:

Down, down, down, down
I'm goin down, down, down, down

No discernible positive change in ratings despite ALL the changes and promises to make the sport more exciting and "edgy."

Reminds me of lyrics from a Springsteen song:

Down, down, down, down

Love the Springsteen reference and it will be interesting for me to see how the ratings do up until Martinsville. Adding in my own bit of Bruce I wonder if Brian hums this tune when trying to get to sleep.

Do you still say your prayers little darlin'
Do you go to bed at night
Prayin' that tomorrow, everything will be alright
But tomorrow's fall in number
In number one by one
You wake up and you're dying
You don't even know what from

Love the Springsteen reference and it will be interesting for me to see how the ratings do up until Martinsville. Adding in my own bit of Bruce I wonder if Brian hums this tune when trying to get to sleep.

Do you still say your prayers little darlin'
Do you go to bed at night
Prayin' that tomorrow, everything will be alright
But tomorrow's fall in number
In number one by one
You wake up and you're dying
You don't even know what from

Continuing with the music theme, with all due respect to Monster Energy and Brian France, this is the only "edgy" thing I personally care about:

photo_1296518574628-1-0.jpg

I don't mind if my NASCAR is not "edgy."

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/03/nascar-ratings-fox-lowest-second-race-season-years/

NASCAR ratings are not recovering quite yet.

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Atlanta scored a 3.8 final rating and 6.6 million viewers on FOX Sunday afternoon, down 7% in ratings and 3% in viewership from last year (4.1, 6.8M) and down 32% and 31% respectively from 2015 (5.6, 9.5M).

The 3.8 rating is the lowest for NASCAR’s second race of the season since at least 1998, falling below the previous mark of 3.9 for Rockingham on TNN in 2000. Ratings were as high as 6.7 just a decade ago, and that was below the previous two years.

Brad Keselowski‘s win also delivered the smallest audience for the post-Daytona race since at least 2001 (viewership prior to 2002 was not available). Viewership once routinely topped the ten million mark, including 11.7 million ten years ago.

Sunday’s race also delivered the lowest rating and viewership for NASCAR from Atlanta since 2014, the last time it took place on Labor Day weekend (3.2, 5.2M).

After opening last season with unusually low numbers for Daytona and Atlanta, this season is off to an even worse start in the ratings (though viewership is up slightly).

Despite the lower numbers, NASCAR on FOX was the top sports program of the weekend, ranking well ahead of the Duke-North Carolina college basketball game (2.4, 4.1M).

I am encouraged that viewership is up for people aged 18-34 as I believe that stat is even more important than the overall viewership but I may be way off base.
That's pretty accurate. The race format, playoff format, social media stuff has been geared largely towards those demos. I'm sure NASCAR is pleased so far.

I am encouraged that viewership is up for people aged 18-34 as I believe that stat is even more important than the overall viewership but I may be way off base.

It is. I'm really puzzled that they are apparently managing to grow that young male audience so substantially while continuing to shed overall viewers. For this to be true, older viewers are tuning out in just as big of numbers. Males 18-34 is a very tough demo to attract period, and a group that watches less traditional TV than ever. It's encouraging for them, but just weird. Are there really a bunch of young guys that were enticed by the format changes? Is it the Monster marketing effect already?

Last edited:
It is. I'm really puzzled that they are apparently managing to grow that young male audience so substantially while continuing to shed overall viewers. For this to be true, older viewers are tuning out in just as big of numbers. Males 18-34 is a very tough demo to attract period, and a group that watches less traditional TV than ever. It's encouraging for them, but just weird. Are there really a bunch of young guys that were enticed by the format changes? Is it the Monster marketing effect already?

Maybe some of the old people died?

Nascar isn't the only sport with live TV ratings problems.I see where ESPN is expected to layoff hundreds because of massive losses with their NBA and NFL contracts.They are blaming it on all the cord cutters.One of the ways they are expected to stem the losses are more commercials during the broadcast of games.

Nascar isn't the only sport with live TV ratings problems.I see where ESPN is expected to layoff hundreds because of massive losses with their NBA and NFL contracts.They are blaming it on all the cord cutters.One of the ways they are expected to stem the losses are more commercials during the broadcast of games.
Sucks for those losing their job.

More commercials during those events will still allow for the home viewer to see the entire event between the whistles, so that seems like it's not too big a deal.

I thought about this over the weekend when they mentioned the size of the actual crowd at Atlanta. Do you think maybe people are fed up with the PC nonsense in other professional sports?? Maybe they are coming back to NASCAR a bit? Just a thought and maybe I'm way off base. And I'm not intending this to be a political discussion. It's just a fact that the NFL lost dramatic viewership this season for multiple reasons.

I freely admit that I am puzzled about the 18-34 increase when factored in with the overall decrease in viewers. I think it would be easier for me to grasp if I saw some anecdotal evidence in my circle of influence but there is no talk or interest in Nascar in my area in any age group that I am aware of.

Sucks for those losing their job.

More commercials during those events will still allow for the home viewer to see the entire event between the whistles, so that seems like it's not too big a deal.

Pretty soon there will be so many TV time outs the players will be able to hit the showers and get a massage during them.

I thought about this over the weekend when they mentioned the size of the actual crowd at Atlanta. Do you think maybe people are fed up with the PC nonsense in other professional sports?? Maybe they are coming back to NASCAR a bit? Just a thought and maybe I'm way off base. And I'm not intending this to be a political discussion. It's just a fact that the NFL lost dramatic viewership this season for multiple reasons.

I don't think your thesis would be a factor but that is just my opinion. I believe the NFL ratings were down about 6-9% last year and there are several theories as to why. Factors cited were the election, poor match ups, plus too much of a good thing with games on 3-4 days per week.

That is very accurate.

Don't want to be negative, but I don't know it's sustainable if the racing doesn't get better.

Maybe the ratings aren't actually declining after all? It could just be that they can't keep the power grid up long enough to finish adding up all the numbers. :idunno:

I think there is a huge conspiracy going on and that so few people watched the race that Brian France hired Jeremy Mayfield to go to Nielsen HQ and cause havoc until Nascar could come up with some alternate facts.

I think there is a huge conspiracy going on and that so few people watched the race that Brian France hired Jeremy Mayfield to go to Nielsen HQ and cause havoc until Nascar could come up with some alternate facts.
Jeremy was probably there stealing the copper wires and copper plumbing to sell at the scrapyard. I hear that's what those druggies do to fund their habit..... but I digress.

This site seems to somehow have gotten sports ratings from the weekend, take them with a grain of salt though...

3.58 rating and 5.97 million viewers, down 9% from a 3.97 rating and 6.63 million viewers last year.

Looks like the slide continues unabated.

Adam stern is reporting that last year's numbers were actually a 4.4 rating and 7.4m viewers, which would make the decline more like 18.5% not 9%.... not good.

Not that I think this is a big deal, but the numbers listed in the link you provided are comparing this past weekend's race to the phoenix race last year. The dates are generally the same though. So the data is comparing, March 13 2016 Phoenix race, to March 12 2017 Vegas race.

Again probably not a big difference in numbers but not exactly the same either. Also, I find Showbuzzdaily to be pretty close with Neilsen but we will see when everything comes out.

Last year's Vegas race didn't air the week after Daytona... both races were the 3rd of the season. Why the huge drop-off?

Back
Top Bottom