2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

So much for a new sponsor who is "edgy" and geared towards millennials and a new format to make racing "more exciting."

c595586b491836bb2135fb603c2f4e5997ce0e2f8e41c30a81af650f568eaff8.jpg

Any losses this week will be offset by a huge increase next week as I have been reading somewhere that fighting is good for NASCAR, it is just what it needs and it will attract more viewers.

This site seems to somehow have gotten sports ratings from the weekend, take them with a grain of salt though...

3.58 rating and 5.97 million viewers, down 9% from a 3.97 rating and 6.63 million viewers last year.

Looks like the slide continues unabated.

I believe Jayski has last year's Vegas race at a 4.4 and 7.2 million viewers. Whatever gains were made at Daytona have been washed away and I am guessing NASCAR is down about 1 million viewers through the first 3 races. I thought the bleeding of fans would have stopped about 5 years ago but it seems it has a way to go before it ever stabilizes.

I wonder if Vegas being a week later on the calendar (it was the first Sunday in March last year.... in other words, it didn't go up against the NCAA selection show in 2016)....if that might have played a part in the drop-off. Just have to see if this trend continues.

Have no fear as someone will come along and tell us that viewership is up for white males from 18-34

LOL. I don't think the claims along these lines have specified white males. Though one can safely assume. I'm more interested in the subject if it really is true and bears out over time. How stage cautions and Monster babes could have instantly pinpointed a narrow, lucrative audience that watches little TV at all, while hemorrhaging their former core audience -- it would be quite a feat.

Last edited:
Mid season changes incoming. The field will be inverted after stage 2, and super double mega points will be awarded for stage 3.

I wonder if Vegas being a week later on the calendar (it was the first Sunday in March last year.... in other words, it didn't go up against the NCAA selection show in 2016)....if that might have played a part in the drop-off. Just have to see if this trend continues.
Phoenix on this weekend got a 4.0 and 6.6 million last year so it's still 9-10% that dropped off.

So far having Monster and stage racing on board have not moved the needle so now we will see if the Kyle-JLo dust up and all the resulting coverage can defibrillate Nascar.

It’ll pick up when NASCAR ‘n the broadcast partners work in a fan participation program.

All of these enhancements can’t be put into play overnight. There’s a lot to do and many more gimmicks to employ to make motorsports entertainment great. The WWE wasn't built in a day.

I actually feel a bit better after the Vegas race numbers came out.
And that's because as low as the numbers are. At least, when pitching a
Potential sponsor.....NASCAR and the teams can say we still were the most watched
Sporting event for that weekend in the USA. Not too shabby for a sponsor's investment.

I actually feel a bit better after the Vegas race numbers came out.
And that's because as low as the numbers are. At least, when pitching a
Potential sponsor.....NASCAR and the teams can say we still were the most watched
Sporting event for that weekend in the USA. Not too shabby for a sponsor's investment.

A lot of times Nascar is the most watched individual program but when you factor in the number of games that stick and ball sports are showing on a weekend and add them up they often times have more total viewers. Not taking anything away from Nascar but just trying to add perspective.

Well that is hard to say because with the exception of the NFL and March Madness, the rest are really regional only. Where as NASCAR is national. Reason I mention that is in most cases the sponsors that you see in NASCAR want that national exposure. It is their best bang for the buck.

Is there another sport's fan base that is so hung up on attendance and television ratings? I don't ever recall watching a baseball game then waiting for the overnight ratings to come out. If you like the sport, watch and enjoy. If you don't, don't.

Is there another sport's fan base that is so hung up on attendance and television ratings? I don't ever recall watching a baseball game then waiting for the overnight ratings to come out. If you like the sport, watch and enjoy. If you don't, don't.

Other sports also don't radically change their whole structure every year when ratings swing, so there's no need to worry.

Well that is hard to say because with the exception of the NFL and March Madness, the rest are really regional only. Where as NASCAR is national. Reason I mention that is in most cases the sponsors that you see in NASCAR want that national exposure. It is their best bang for the buck.

I think the best news for Nascar is the increase in the 18-34 demo as it is hard to spin a loss of viewers into a positive.

I don't think most fans give a hoot about attendance or TV ratings but some of us do as those sorts of things are normally indicators of the overall health of the series and if it is trending up or down.

A lot of people seem to become uncomfortable if their personal choices fall out of favor with others.

I think the best news for Nascar is the increase in the 18-34 demo as it is hard to spin a loss of viewers into a positive.
It certainly is.

Any news on the Lost Wages broadband front? Streaming minutes / hits?

It certainly is.

Any news on the Lost Wages broadband front? Streaming minutes / hits?

IDK but if Nascar can continue to win over the 18-34 age segment it will offset some of the overall losses.

I check Sports Media Watch fairly often and the declines aren't just limited to NASCAR, but unfortunately NASCAR has been in decline for about 10 years compared 1-3 years for other sports.

I don't think most fans give a hoot about attendance or TV ratings but some of us do as those sorts of things are normally indicators of the overall health of the series and if it is trending up or down.

This.

I didn't care about attendance and ratings until I feel like it's actually effected the quality of field, amount of teams is now 40 instead of 43, plus the atmosphere of a bunch of empty seats looks terrible in person and on TV.

I really enjoyed the segments at Las Vegas (and I was a critic of it), hopefully that continues.

I find it more peculiar that there is a thread on a NASCAR discussion forum about NASCAR television ratings, and on nearly every page of said thread someone feels the need to post critically about interest in the topic.

I don't have any interest in drivers' wives and what they do, so I don't read threads about them, and I don't post in them telling people that their interest indicates a character flaw.

I check Sports Media Watch fairly often and the declines aren't just limited to NASCAR, but unfortunately NASCAR has been in decline for about 10 years compared 1-3 years for other sports.

It has never made sense when Nascar lackeys say that all sports are losing viewers as Nascar has lost half its fan base and no other mainstream sport has.

This.

I didn't care about attendance and ratings until I feel like it's actually effected the quality of field, amount of teams is now 40 instead of 43, plus the atmosphere of a bunch of empty seats looks terrible in person and on TV.

I really enjoyed the segments at Las Vegas (and I was a critic of it), hopefully that continues.

The segments have not been a detriment to me at all and if they can continue to keep bogus cautions from being called I am in favor of them. Some folks act like tracking attendance and ratings require a lot of time and concentration but that is obviously not the case. Despite Nascar's generous broadcasting fees we are already seeing the beginnings of what it looks like when you lose large chunks of your audience year after year.

I find it more peculiar that there is a thread on a NASCAR discussion forum about NASCAR television ratings, and on nearly every page of said thread someone feels the need to post critically about interest in the topic.

I don't have any interest in drivers' wives and what they do, so I don't read threads about them, and I don't post in them telling people that their interest indicates a character flaw.

Very well said. There are lots of fans that are interested in the drivers relationship status, children, family life and what their favorite color is for all I know. That sort thing holds not interest or value to me so I don't participate on those threads and essentially tell people how shallow and in need of lives they are for being interested in those things.

It was disappointing whatshisname didn't include the favorite color question in his game with The Junior.........

LOL. I don't think the claims along these lines have specified white males. Though one can safely assume. I'm more interested in the subject if it really is true and bears out over time. How stage cautions and Monster babes could have instantly pinpointed a narrow, lucrative audience that watches little TV at all, while hemorrhaging their former core audience -- it would be quite a feat.
Yep....agreed

Power's back up @ Neilson.....

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that I enjoy the stages NASCAR has implemented. I was dead set against it. Looks like the rest of the country could not care less. The drop in ratings continues, unfortunately.

I don't have an answer, and I'm pretty sure Brian and the networks don't have any answers either.

18-34 male demo was up 262% compared to before they were able to measure them.

I'm just so relieved they saw fit to enhance the racing this season and give "the fans" (single monolithic entity) what they wanted. These numbers might be off 50% without those enhancements, as the masses realize how bad racing really is without the tireless work Brian And The Stakeholders (the name of my new band) are doing to save it.

Back
Top Bottom