2018 Charlotte - Coca-Cola 600 - Pre-Race Thread

Yeah, there isn't enough room to swing a cat on some of them. Whoever came up with the idea to put race cars
on those streets needed to have their head examined. But for some reason, it works --- sort of, sometimes. LOL
That race is for the really rich.

Weather seems to be improving....Good stuff. The pre-race stuff is absolutely awesome. Do not rain on our military! Damn, I love this race. I can honestly say that prior to Toyota's entry, I would always watch this race wishing that Toyota was involved. Ever since they entered, this is the day I am most thankful they are. Just awesome.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FIND ME THE JEFF GORDON BLACK JURRASSIC PARK T SHIRT SIZE L PLEASE!! I NEED IT LOL:punkrocke

My plan was to stop on the way to Chicago this weekend and check into a hotel somewhere and watch the Coke 600 and the Indy 500, but since we had to wait to finish our Topeka race on Monday due to rain this past weekend I don't think I will have the extra time to make that happen. I still have 300 miles left on my drive back to our southern Ca shop to reload for a 6 race stretch on the east coast and the midwest. I probably won't be able to leave for Chicago before Sunday and I would like to be at the track by Tuesday afternoon. This will be the first 600 and 500 that I have not watched in a long time. But, I will definitely be checking in here for the race reports.:)

TIRE CODES

Tire:
Goodyear "Support Our Troops" Speedway Radials

Set limits:
Cup: 3 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 12 sets for the race
Xfinity: 7 sets for the event

Tire Codes:
Left-side -- D-4788 Right-side -- D-4736

Tire Circumference:
Left-side -- 2,227 mm (87.68 in.)
Right-side -- 2,253 mm (88.70 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front -- 19 psi; Left Rear -- 19 psi;
Right Front -- 52 psi; Right Rear -- 50 psi

Storyline - Day-to-night poses challenge for Charlotte competitors:Charlotte Motor Speedway is one of the most temperature sensitive race tracks on the NASCAR circuit, especially during the Cup Series' Coca-Cola 600, NASCAR's longest race that starts in the daylight and ends at night. Being a mile-and-a-half speedway, a track length that makes up 12 race weekends during the NASCAR Cup season, the Charlotte tire set-up has evolved to reflect the advancements Goodyear has made in both its constructions and compounds that help give maximum grip and stability while running cooler.
"The Coca-Cola 600 is a grueling challenge -- not only is it 100 miles longer than the second-longest race on the Cup schedule, it also starts during the day and ends at night on one of the most temperature sensitive tracks on the circuit," said Greg Stucker, Goodyear's director of racing. "Over the last couple seasons, we have updated our tire constructions for intermediate speedways like Charlotte, and have been able to give the cars more grip with a more tractive right-side tread compound that we first ran as the "Option" tire in the 2017 All-Star race. While we are bringing the same tire set-up as we did for last week's All-Star race, the Cup cars return to their 'standard' rules package for this week."

Notes - "Support Our Troops" back on Goodyear tires this weekend:
In its annual salute to the U.S. military, all of Goodyear's tires will be branded with "Support Our Troops" instead of the customary "Eagle" at Charlotte this week . . . teams in both the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series and Xfinity Series will run the same tire set-up this week . . . for Cup teams, this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires they ran during the All-Star event at Charlotte last weekend . . . while this right-side tire is unique for the Cup cars, they did also run this left-side tire at Kansas two weeks ago . . . for Xfinity teams, this is the first time running either of these two tire codes ... compared to what Xfinity teams ran at Charlotte last year, this left-side features a construction update to bring it into line with what is run at other speedways, while this right-side features a compound change to give the cars more grip . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Charlotte . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

Jayski ... thanks

Tires are going to make a difference. Maybe with the softer tire a faster car will have a better chance to pass. Charlotte is such a one laner, maybe they will throw down some stick um too.

Tires are going to make a difference. Maybe with the softer tire a faster car will have a better chance to pass. Charlotte is such a one laner, maybe they will throw down some stick um too.
Hey, Bruton, order up some progressive banking. Charlotte is the most problematic of all the 1.5ers because the groove is so narrow, IMO. But last weekend there was Track Bite applied above the bottom lane in the corners. That will help, I hope.

Charlotte is so difficult between turns 3 and 4, you come in so damn hot off that backstretch it’s hard to catch it in the middle, let alone pass. That’s the only reason I was cool with the plates at the ASR, it’s basically a mini Daytona.

Btw I know some hate plates, but could you imagine how boring Daytona would be without them? There would be zero passing.

Anyways I’ll be sitting in Turn 1 with my dad 20 rows up and cannot wait

I'll be driving up to my Dad's house a few hours away to watch the race. We're the only race fans in the family so it's our chance to get to spend some time together.

Hopefully the weather works out. I think they were calling for an 80% chance of rain this far out for the All Star Race as well and that race went just fine.

Here I am, doing my usual rain dance, hoping this sucker gets moved to the daylight on Monday so I can run up there. Too old and candy-a$$ed to attend a night race and drive home without eating a phone pole.

Note: All times are ET

Thursday, May 24
2:35-3:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
4:05-4:55 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
6:05-6:50 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
7:15 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Busch Pole Award qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
12:30 p.m.: Kevin Harvick
1:30 p.m.: Brad Keselowski
1:45 p.m.: Jimmie Johnson
2 p.m.: Daniel Hemric
2:15 p.m.: Elliott Sadler, Ross Chastain and Ryan Reed
3:45 p.m.: Daniel Suarez
4 p.m.: Matt Kenseth
4:15 p.m.: Bubba Wallace
4:30 p.m.: Joey Logano
5:30 p.m.: Toyota Racing Development announcement
8:15 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying

Note: All times are ET

Thursday, May 24
2:35-3:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
4:05-4:55 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
6:05-6:50 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
7:15 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Busch Pole Award qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
12:30 p.m.: Kevin Harvick
1:30 p.m.: Brad Keselowski
1:45 p.m.: Jimmie Johnson
2 p.m.: Daniel Hemric
2:15 p.m.: Elliott Sadler, Ross Chastain and Ryan Reed
3:45 p.m.: Daniel Suarez
4 p.m.: Matt Kenseth
4:15 p.m.: Bubba Wallace
4:30 p.m.: Joey Logano
5:30 p.m.: Toyota Racing Development announcement
8:15 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying

Um, 5:30 Toyota Racing Development Announcement? Hmmmmmm.

Dd90IxPUQAUpzDX.jpg:large

this is weather is crazy! lets just rain everywhere nascar car every weeken

And it's just a harmless old black snake. Just grab it and take it to the woods around the shop.
And that's a little old lady saying that. Maybe there is something to the notion that this sport has strayed too far from its country roots. Poor dumb thing clearly can't figure how to get enough traction to get down.

I'd have been embarrassed to post this. Somebody needs to step up and demonstrate he or she has a pair of whatever he or she is supposed to have a pair of. I've stepped over ones this size sunning themselves on my front porch in early spring a couple of times.

And that's a little old lady saying that. Maybe there is something to the notion that this sport has strayed too far from its country roots. Poor dumb thing clearly can't figure how to get enough traction to get down.

I'd have been embarrassed to post this. Somebody needs to step up and demonstrate he or she has a pair of whatever he or she is supposed to have a pair of. I've stepped over ones this size sunning themselves on my front porch in early spring a couple of times.
apparently my attempt at light humor for Rev man alerted the king snake patrol. Never know out in the desert where Rev and MY TRD powered Toyota lives, they might not have king snakes.

I had a big one 6', 8 foot that would lay in my horse shoe pit and catch birds. heck I was feeding the birds and paying for his meals.

Back
Top Bottom