2018 Cup Schedule

Yeah, if thats up against opening week of the NFL thats not the best idea. Might be ok if the race was on a Saturday though.

Better hope the Irish, Hoosiers and Boilermakers are not playing.

I'm not trying to be a wise ass or start a flame war but from my short time on this bored I feel like most or all of us here are hard core race fans that really dont care about the casual fan that NASCAR is trying to bring in. In fact I would bet that most casual fans have let the sport from the time it was popular and dont even follow. So my question is if NASCAR does decide to run the Brickyard on NFL Week 1, why is it a big deal to us? We will watch anyway while casual fans will watch the NFL. I dont find Brickyard/Week 1 on the same day a big deal, I'll be watching both. well just Red Zone while watching the Race. I guess the dueling sentiments make me curious in terms of some hate the casual fan and blame them for the troubles NASCAR in by them trying to cater to a casual fan but then we have to worry about what time races are on and what other spot is opposite of that.

IDK if you have ever seen a Brickyard 400 race but it makes hardcore fans turn into casual and casual into disinterested. I used to be a hardcore Nascar fan but I consider myself a casual one now as I don't keep up with it and don't mind if I miss seeing some of the races.

I'm not trying to be a wise ass or start a flame war but from my short time on this bored I feel like most or all of us here are hard core race fans that really dont care about the casual fan that NASCAR is trying to bring in. In fact I would bet that most casual fans have let the sport from the time it was popular and dont even follow. So my question is if NASCAR does decide to run the Brickyard on NFL Week 1, why is it a big deal to us? We will watch anyway while casual fans will watch the NFL. I dont find Brickyard/Week 1 on the same day a big deal, I'll be watching both. well just Red Zone while watching the Race. I guess the dueling sentiments make me curious in terms of some hate the casual fan and blame them for the troubles NASCAR in by them trying to cater to a casual fan but then we have to worry about what time races are on and what other spot is opposite of that.
I don't think it's even a hardcore vs. casual fan thing. There are a lot of people, myself included, who are hardcore fans of both NASCAR and the NFL. In all likelihood, most of those fans will choose to watch the sport they haven't seen in seven months instead of a race that typically isn't very good. Plus, the playoff cutoff isn't nearly as important as it used to be, as the playoff fields are now pretty much set by the time we get to Race #26.

pay attention, if you are on here while the race is on, some of them will pop in and keep us informed on the latest stick n ball matchup and what we are missing lol...like somehow we can't change the channel if we want to. Poor souls can't go rah rah on a football forum lol

Giving us the latest football scores might be a humanitarian effort for the sick and shut in Nascar fan with only one TV

Is the Brickyard still going to be the Brickyard 400? That would make for a really long, 4+ hour race on a road course (Sonoma is 217 miles and Watkins Glen is 220 miles). Perhaps a conversion to kilometers?

My uncle went to the brickyard in 2013

Said the atmosphere was depressing

I wouldn't call myself a casual fan, but anytime the Falcons are on TV I'm going to watch it over anything, that goes for NASCAR, Wrestling, or anything else I follow. I do pull the race up on my laptop but, I pay way way more attention to the Football game.

pay attention, if you are on here while the race is on, some of them will pop in and keep us informed on the latest stick n ball matchup and what we are missing lol...like somehow we can't change the channel if we want to. Poor souls can't go rah rah on a football forum lol

I had no idea that service was provided seeing I don't participate in the thread that is active during the races. In the year plus you went missing no one complained about stick and ball talk at all.

I'm like you.....but @StandOnIt made me realize that some fans still think the brickyard has some prestige to it. To me it's absolutely one of the most boring races ever.

Highest rated broadcast ever on NBCSN was the 2015 Brickyard 400.

So, yeah, a lot of fans still think it's a prestigious race. Personally, I think it's a terrible, boring race. C'est la vie.

I'm like you.....but @StandOnIt made me realize that some fans still think the brickyard has some prestige to it. To me it's absolutely one of the most boring races ever.

I think you would be hard pressed to find many fans who think the Brickyard has any prestige.

Highest rated broadcast ever on NBCSN was the 2015 Brickyard 400.

So, yeah, a lot of fans still think it's a prestigious race. Personally, I think it's a terrible, boring race. C'est la vie.

Most that boost the ratings I believe are indycar people who are fans of the track more than Nascar racing there.

Not just fans. Two years ago the Century Poll (50% media/50% garage) voted the Brickyard 400 third as events that would comprise a NASCAR "Grand Slam", behind only the Daytona 500 and Southern 500.

Prestige does nothing to make it a good cutoff
Honestly, I don't think it matters much where it is. Richmond hasn't been a good cutoff race in years either. When there are sixteen spots available and almost everyone important is locked in already there's not a whole lot of intrigue. It's like deciding which 41-41 NBA team is going to be the #8 seed on the final day of the season. Playoff points may change that slightly this year.

Is the Brickyard still going to be the Brickyard 400? That would make for a really long, 4+ hour race on a road course (Sonoma is 217 miles and Watkins Glen is 220 miles). Perhaps a conversion to kilometers?
It might not even be a road course race next year. It could still wind up being a restrictor plate race.

I wouldn't call myself a casual fan, but anytime the Falcons are on TV I'm going to watch it over anything, that goes for NASCAR, Wrestling, or anything else I follow. I do pull the race up on my laptop but, I pay way way more attention to the Football game.

The NFL is appointment TV on a weekly basis. NASCAR is not and it is that simple. Fans have way more invested in the NFL, with the Sunday Ticket, Season Tickets, Fantasy Football Leagues etc. We have a league that pays a grand to win. I am going to spend all day on the NFL on Sundays.

For the last few years I've watched less football. I think I caught three regular season games last year during the Chase. I have nothing invested in it. I don't think I have any Panther gear left. I'm not that interested in it any more.

I love NASCAR, but on Sunday's during Football season it is NFL from 6am til 10pm and then I watch the DVR'd race. It is slightly less enjoyable because I can't sync up in car audio with the race, but I'm ok with that. Either way it makes for a fantastic Sunday.

Y
Probably so, but it will give fans like me a better reason to watch. The stages for sure will help the bore fest, it will at least give a couple of laps of racing for each stage until they get single file.
You mean the added debris cautions?

Not just fans. Two years ago the Century Poll (50% media/50% garage) voted the Brickyard 400 third as events that would comprise a NASCAR "Grand Slam", behind only the Daytona 500 and Southern 500.
Preach it, FL. Racers from around the world covet a win at Indy. MotoGP riders and teams were not fond of the course layout nor the pavement (prior to the repave), but were awed by the opportunity to race at IMS. They voted Indy their favorite event of the year several times. F1 drivers and teams felt the same way. And so do most all of the Nascar guys. Saying the Brickyard 400 doesn't have immense prestige is just wrong.

I wouldn't be in favor of 36 races per year on tracks that race like Indy. But for one race, I appreciate the challenge and difficulty of the Indy oval. It is a completely different challenge from every other track, and it rewards driver skill and set-up skill handsomely. It is a fascinating race IMO, and one of Nascar's crown jewels along with Daytona 500, World 600, and Southern 500. (Last year, Indy had a lot more passing at the front than the 600, BTW.)

Preach it, FL. Racers from around the world covet a win at Indy. MotoGP riders and teams were not fond of the course layout nor the pavement (prior to the repave), but were awed by the opportunity to race at IMS. They voted Indy their favorite event of the year several times. F1 drivers and teams felt the same way. And so do most all of the Nascar guys. Saying the Brickyard 400 doesn't have immense prestige is just wrong.

I wouldn't be in favor of 36 races per year on tracks that race like Indy. But for one race, I appreciate the challenge and difficulty of the Indy oval. It is a completely different challenge from every other track, and it rewards driver skill and set-up skill handsomely. It is a fascinating race IMO, and one of Nascar's crown jewels along with Daytona 500, World 600, and Southern 500. (Last year, Indy had a lot more passing at the front than the 600, BTW.)
It's a snoozer for the most part, but as a Chase race that might change things.

I wonder what they can do to increase drag there however. That's what makes the Indy 500 so terrific, the epic slingshots for the pass.

IMO I'd like to see the trucks run there as those are the vehicles which create the most drag

I'd like to see the trucks run there
2017-05-20-01-52-43-1361318635.jpeg

I agree. Though I personally will not bother to watch the Xfinity Series at IMS until they go back to IRP. It was always cool to see the Cup Series at the big track and the other two series at the short track.

I think there has been some boring races as of late, but I like the uniqueness of the Brickyard.

I wonder what they can do to increase drag there however. That's what makes the Indy 500 so terrific, the epic slingshots for the pass.

IMO I'd like to see the trucks run there as those are the vehicles which create the most drag
Well...get them off the gr
I agree. Though I personally will not bother to watch the Xfinity Series at IMS until they go back to IRP. It was always cool to see the Cup Series at the big track and the other two series at the short track.

I think there has been some boring races as of late, but I like the uniqueness of the Brickyard.
Snooze

Back
Top Bottom