2018 - Daytona 500 - Pre Race Thread

I checked 500 tickets about a month ago and was shocked that face value for a "good seat" was $190 iirc. To me that's simply way too much money. I'm not cheap and I understand the prestige of the 500 but that's still ridiculous. I work in the golf industry in the Northeast so I basically get January and February off. As a result I have always considered driving down for the Xfinity race, the 500 and play 2 rounds of golf. However, when a ticket to the 500 alone is going to run me basically what it costs to attend both Pocono races and Kentucky combined I'll wait another year.
$190 is outrageous, no wonder they are losing fans. Even half of that is steep.

Seriously? 85,000 fans in 2012 and around 7,500 in 2018? There must be some issue with the crowd size in 2012 as how can you lose 70,000 fans in 6 years? If all this is true is should be added to the deathbed thread.

The Brickyard has managed to lose 200k fans in less than 10 years...lol.

I would like to go the 500 just to check it off the bucket list. In 2002 I went to the Pepsi 400, the Busch Race and had Hot garage passes for the weekend so I got the real cool Daytona experience. I just can't justify the money to see what I consider to be a terrible product. I'd honestly rather go to the Brickyard 400 over Daytona at this point because the racing is at least more legit even if it's far more "boring".

The only race that I really want to attend is the Southern 500. But Labor Day weekend is nearly impossible for me to get off. Likewise with Memorial Day and the 600.

$190 is outrageous, no wonder they are losing fans. Even half of that is steep.

And that was for a seat coming out of turn 4 or down towards turn 1 in the lower section of the upper deck. To be fair the face value of my 2002 Pepsi 400 ticket was $135. Granted, they were comped/free. That was for a row 40ish seat in the old Lockhardt Tower (down by turn 1). The Bristol night race tickets were still going for $100 plus last year when i was browsing.

My Kentucky ticket is $59 and i can see the entire track easily.
My Pocono ticket, top row before the covered section, is $70 with the renewal price.

In this day in age you should be able to get a good seat at every race for under $100. I think $75 is good premium price point to work off of.

I gotta say that I am surprised that the race didn't have more people attend as I figured there would be a whole bunch of people down for the week that would go.
I believe that's a product of the $60 general admission cost. Anything higher than the 100 level would run you close to $100. I can get near the top row at Pocono for $75 for a points paying race.

I believe that's a product of the $60 general admission cost. Anything higher than the 100 level would run you close to $100. I can get near the top row at Pocono for $75 for a points paying race.

Exactly! And at Pocono you get the 200 mph speeds, drafting, a 2.5 mile track but without the demolition derby. And the parking is free too!!

The Brickyard has managed to lose 200k fans in less than 10 years...lol.

I would like to go the 500 just to check it off the bucket list. In 2002 I went to the Pepsi 400, the Busch Race and had Hot garage passes for the weekend so I got the real cool Daytona experience. I just can't justify the money to see what I consider to be a terrible product. I'd honestly rather go to the Brickyard 400 over Daytona at this point because the racing is at least more legit even if it's far more "boring".

The only race that I really want to attend is the Southern 500. But Labor Day weekend is nearly impossible for me to get off. Likewise with Memorial Day and the 600.

I forgot about Indy as that used to be a primo race but its fallen on hard times. Hopefully they will leave Indy when they can as the racing is not good and same thing for the crowd. I never been to Daytona but have been to Talladega lots of times and I never had a real urge to go to Daytona. I really liked Darlington but some things with me physically have to get better before I go racing again. I guess they won't sell out for the 500 but it should still be a whopper size crowd.

And that was for a seat coming out of turn 4 or down towards turn 1 in the lower section of the upper deck. To be fair the face value of my 2002 Pepsi 400 ticket was $135. Granted, they were comped/free. That was for a row 40ish seat in the old Lockhardt Tower (down by turn 1). The Bristol night race tickets were still going for $100 plus last year when i was browsing.

My Kentucky ticket is $59 and i can see the entire track easily.
My Pocono ticket, top row before the covered section, is $70 with the renewal price.

In this day in age you should be able to get a good seat at every race for under $100. I think $75 is good premium price point to work off of.
I'm thinking $50, $25 for kids under 14, a family of 4 just isn't going to be able to afford those kind of prices.

I'm thinking $50, $25 for kids under 14, a family of 4 just isn't going to be able to afford those kind of prices.

You should be able to get a seat at every race for $50. It might not be a great seat but $50 should get your foot in the door. I think $75ish dollars is a good price point for a seat that will give you a quality view of the track. If you want to sit under the press box (best seats in the house) for 500 then I can see that seat costing $150 or so. I didn't look when i was checking reasonable prices but I have to believe the old "Winston Tower" (below the press box) seats are in the $250+ range for the 500.

I'm glad the place will be full so there will be a buzz in the air. Still, the ticket prices are way out of whack.

I know Pocono and Martinsville have always been cost friendly. Even during the "boom" ticket prices never got unreasonable at those two tracks. Kentucky and Michigan also have very reasonable price points. Hopefully others gain proper prospective.

I'm not one to believe that ticket prices are the main reason for the NASCAR's dwindling crowds. They help create the lack of demand by changing the product.

I pay on average $40 for a Modified tour race, that includes all the regular scheduled races for that night, plus the Tour race, a whole night of racing. Even that's a little steep, but it's decent. If Nascar wants to attract, more and new fans, it needs to make it affordable. I understand it's the 500 and all, but this isn't 2002.

Gotta say, if you can ever get to a Daytona 500, do not hesitate. Yes it is expensive. I went for the first time last year, with seats provided for us in the suite on the start finish line. The facility is amazing. This year we bought tickets way up high just past the pit road exit. After tomorrow we will have seen it from two great perspectives. Can’t say we will go next year, but if we love it as much as last time we may.

People go to Disney World and spend a small fortune in one day. Daytona is not nearly so expensive comparatively.

It's 5.00 am here on the west coast and I have already went through my race day checklist and I'm ready.
---------------------------------------------------
main tv--checked
back up tv--checked
lap top computer--checked
recliner--checked
fresh "all beef ball park hot dogs"--check
fresh hot dog buns--check
diced onions--check
shredded cheese--check
spicy mustard, ketchup, mayo, relish,--check
chips, popcorn--check:lurk:
ice cold Pepsi--check:dpepsi:
:director:GO ALEX BOWMAN.................:D

Big One 2.jpg

It's 5.00 am here on the west coast and I have already went through my race day checklist and I'm ready.
main tv--checked
back up tv--checked
recliner--checked
diced onions--check
shredded cheese--check
I liked that post except for
:director:GO CHASE ELLIOTT Bowman comes in second...............:p

I paid $105 for a back stretch seat the year before they were torn down. I've paid more than that for Atlanta. I thought it was a great price, well worth the Daytona 500 experience. Gasoline for the trip was 3 times that. A Bristol night race and a D500 were on my wish list for a long time. I'm just happy I was able to do it.

Good morning Ladies and Gents, it’s.....DAYTONA 500 Sunday!!!!!! Heading to the store to get lunch, snacks, and dinner. Today is one of my favorite days of the year, a day long celebration of racing.

main tv--checked
back up tv--checked
recliner--checked
diced onions--check
shredded cheese--check
I like this guy’s style.

Did Aric Almirola change engines after qualifying? I notice he is towards the back of the pack.

I checked 500 tickets about a month ago and was shocked that face value for a "good seat" was $190 iirc. To me that's simply way too much money. I'm not cheap and I understand the prestige of the 500 but that's still ridiculous. I work in the golf industry in the Northeast so I basically get January and February off. As a result I have always considered driving down for the Xfinity race, the 500 and play 2 rounds of golf. However, when a ticket to the 500 alone is going to run me basically what it costs to attend both Pocono races and Kentucky combined I'll wait another year.
I just learned I'll be working the Martinsville race into a business trip next month. Best seats in the joint are $85, with plenty of very good ones for less than that.

One of my favorite days on the sporting calendar. I love the Daytona 500. Still my favorite race of the year. I've never been to a race at Daytona but a few years back on a family vaca to Florida I went and did the Tour. Such a place of great history and tradition.
That said speedweels has been different this year without Jr to cheer for but I'm sure I'll enjoy the race.

That’s really nothing. My court side tixs for the magic are 500 each for my favorite team. If you want to see curry or Lebron they are over 2k each.

That’s really nothing. My court side tixs for the magic are 500 each for my favorite team. If you want to see curry or Lebron they are over 2k each.
Sorry, there is absolutely nothing or nobody I want to see that badly. Jimmy Buffett and Meat Loaf could play pre-race in the Darlington infield surrounded by Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers with the complete run of 1980s' Playmates serving all-you-can-eat Cajun pizza and Crush Cream soda, and I'd still never reach for my wallet.

Back
Top Bottom