2018 - Daytona 500 - Pre Race Thread

Wait what? Haha. Who gave you this valentine?? The lady should join!
I told her that too, told her to just try and scalp a ticket or something, but we're heading up to Atlanta next weekend so she was just like "no no, let's save the money, etc." lol

DWITUktVAAAxNRQ.jpg:large

Friday, Feb. 16
12:05-12:55 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series practice, FS1 (TSN GO) (Follow live)
1:05-1:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, FS1 (TSN GO) (Follow live)
2:05-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series final practice, FS1 (TSN GO) (Follow live)
3:05-3:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, FS1 (TSN 1) (Follow live)
4:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series qualifying (single vehicle/two rounds), FS1 (Follow live)
7:30 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series NextEra Energy Resources 250 (100 laps, 250 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

Press Pass (Watch live)
9:30 a.m.: Aric Almirola and Tony Stewart
11:15 a.m.: 2018 Chevrolet Season Preview: Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. Vice President of performance vehicles and motorsports; Richard Childress, Chip Ganassi, Rick Hendrick, Richard Petty.
11:45 a.m.: Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
2:15 p.m.: Toyota with Denny Hamlin
4 p.m. NASCAR Hall of Famers Ray Evernham, Dale Inman and Richard Petty
9:30 p.m.: Camping World Truck Series post-race

So the race actually starts at 2:30 or is that pre race? I've seen starting time listed as 3:05?
TV Guide says.....

FOX 11am-1pm - NASCAR Raceday
FOX 1pm-2:30pm - NASCAR Pre-race
FOX 2:30pm-6:30pm - Daytona 500

Jayski had the green flag listed about 10 till 3. Bob P reported it to be just after 3. Tune in at 230 and you'll be good to go.

Super Bowl type hype leading up to this race. Same as always.

An interesting point, in Chase's interview he said they weren't set up for qualifying. They were set up for racing. So maybe the cars will handle better in the 500. :idunno:

Well I'm going to watch practice today and see if the changes they make work, I have my doubts, I hope these guys prove me wrong, but I'm still going with less than 15 cars finnish the 500.

I'd be interested to see how fast the cars could even go with this aero package without spinning out. Ie if there were no restrictor plates

Think we're going to see at least a couple Stenhouse-style wrecks that we saw last night, which will cause who knows. I expect it will be easier to lose the draft for cars at the back, which is absolutely necessary.

Really mixing it up in Friday's first practice, more than I recall seeing in plate practices in recent years.

Lots of drafting going on in practice... looks like a race going on.

Read that the newspaper called last nights crowd as “slim crowd”.

An interesting point, in Chase's interview he said they weren't set up for qualifying. They were set up for racing. So maybe the cars will handle better in the 500. :idunno:
Not sure if they showed it on tv during 500 practice last Saturday, but they interviewed Alan G over the PA system at the track and I mentioned afterwards to my girlfriend how he didn't seem overly concerned with the fact that they were a little off on single lap speed, kind of a quiet confidence. After the comments and reporting last night it's pretty clear they came to town with a good idea about how to get both speed and driveability into the car.

They never intended on getting that 3rd (4th) straight pole.

Reactions: Pat
20 cars so far in 2nd afternoon practice, most of them in a pack. Been a while since we've seen that many drivers think they still need that much work this late in the week.

EDIT: now 24 cars.

Eric Jones: TFW you bring it in for a fine tune and they switch stations.

So any incidents in practice, how were they handling in the draft, I got called in early to work so i missed practice.

Big azz watch party in Texas, expecting around 6,000 fans

I wonder if the infield has enough WiFi access to support all those social media addicts? I assume the track doesn't leave that much bandwidth turned on year round. I wonder if they leave the hardware in place and just activate it as needed, or if they just pay a service to bring in access points and connectivity for the weekend.

82,000 people attended the 2012 Budweiser Shootout.
If that same crowd were at Daytona Sunday, it would've been almost a full house. Instead, 7500 people max.
The fans have spoken. Also, I haven't heard of a sellout yet for the 500. When is the last time the 500 didn't sell out?

Seriously? 85,000 fans in 2012 and around 7,500 in 2018? There must be some issue with the crowd size in 2012 as how can you lose 70,000 fans in 6 years? If all this is true is should be added to the deathbed thread.

Seriously? 85,000 fans in 2012 and around 7,500 in 2018? There must be some issue with the crowd size in 2012 as how can you lose 70,000 fans in 6 years? If all this is true is should be added to the deathbed thread.
Watching video of both races, and going off attendance figures posted on racing reference for 2012, and my estimate being there in person this year, I'd say they're pretty accurate.

I checked 500 tickets about a month ago and was shocked that face value for a "good seat" was $190 iirc. To me that's simply way too much money. I'm not cheap and I understand the prestige of the 500 but that's still ridiculous. I work in the golf industry in the Northeast so I basically get January and February off. As a result I have always considered driving down for the Xfinity race, the 500 and play 2 rounds of golf. However, when a ticket to the 500 alone is going to run me basically what it costs to attend both Pocono races and Kentucky combined I'll wait another year.

Back
Top Bottom