2018 Fontana - Auto Club 400 - Pre Race Thread

no way to prove it but all of the Hendrick cars only going thru twice and passing the second time was really convenient? Failing the third time is when the big hammer comes out. All they lost was some practice time for next week, and gained fresh tires for this week as it stood before Nascar changed it. No telling what the teams in Xfinity would have done after the idea was planted in their heads.

Hi everyone,

As you know, nearly half the field failed to qualify for this Sundays race in California, ending the west coast swing. For the cars who did pass the inspection process, they are given the option to BUY new sticker tires to replace their used qualifying tires.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/03/16/auto-club-qualifying-teams-extra-tires/

When this happened last year, I don't remember Nascar giving the teams this option and this is the first time I've heard about something like this. I understand that the drivers who didn't pass the inspection would have a small advantage with fresh tires, so taking away that advantage is... somewhat fair I guess. But I feel that Nascar needs to stop changing rules/car packages/anything during an official season. It's totally inconsistent and completely random at this point.

What do you all thing about this topic or scenario?

Hi everyone,

As you know, nearly half the field failed to qualify for this Sundays race in California, ending the west coast swing. For the cars who did pass the inspection process, they are given the option to BUY new sticker tires to replace their used qualifying tires.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/03/16/auto-club-qualifying-teams-extra-tires/

When this happened last year, I don't remember Nascar giving the teams this option and this is the first time I've heard about something like this. I understand that the drivers who didn't pass the inspection would have a small advantage with fresh tires, so taking away that advantage is... somewhat fair I guess. But I feel that Nascar needs to stop changing rules/car packages/anything during an official season. It's totally inconsistent and completely random at this point.

What do you all thing about this topic or scenario?
Non issue. They can buy them or not. This "rule" was created because of the teams playing games, not because NASCAR wanted a new rule. Place the blame where it belongs.

TirE AdvAntagE is UNfaIr!!! <NASCAR promptly addresses the issue>
ChAnGinNG tHe RulEs iS gaRBagE!

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck 38m38 minutes ago
Could be wrong, but it appears NASCAR may be having some difficulty getting the track dry. Despite several hours of Air Titans and jet dryers and no rain, there are still some damp spots along the seams and leaks from SAFER barriers. This is the oldest asphalt surface in NASCAR.
Ralph Dale Earnhardt Jr.‏Verified account @DaleJr
Replying to @jeff_gluck
Seems like for the safer barrier leaks we see at times, they could shim the barrier off the ground enough so not to trap the water. #handymanthoughts #diy

We are all here.....coolest I've ever felt it here.
adfe72c749ddffbae94dea7e93c1d1fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

He's upset his guy doesn't have an advantage come Sunday.

It should be a great race.
It’s going to be an awesome race I can’t wait!! So the guys that qualified get new tires? And the guys that didn’t qualify have to use old tires to start race ?

It’s going to be an awesome race I can’t wait!! So the guys that qualified get new tires? And the guys that didn’t qualify have to use old tires to start race ?

The ones that didn't qualify don't have any laps on their tires either, so there is no advantage for the ones that didn't qualify and they have to start in the back besides.

TirE AdvAntagE is UNfaIr!!! <NASCAR promptly addresses the issue>
ChAnGinNG tHe RulEs iS gaRBagE!

You're committing the fallacy of lumping different objections from different sources together and pretending there is a contradiction. If you can cite specific people or sources who made the first complaint and then the second, your point holds up relative to those persons.

The vast majority agree it is a correct rules adjustment. Some believe it is bad timing, and incorrect to change rules in the middle of an event weekend. They have a valid point. I can't bother to get too worked up over it, because any longtime observer knows that every NASCAR rule begins with "Unless we decide otherwise at any time.."

All of this seems to prove that the governing body doesn't have the strength to scare the teams to stop pulling all the foolishness that they pull. Seriously, almost 1/3 of the field fails inspection and NASCAR continues to moves along like nothing is wrong or wonder why people laugh at the sport.
giphy.gif

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 3h3 hours ago
One other note on this tech process ... all cars must pass body scan before practice Friday. So all those cars were legal at some point Friday morning.
yep, that OSS measures in millimeters, all it takes is a slight change and the car doesn't pass..and all of the Hendrick cars had the same thing. It wasn't any mistake IMO. They know how important tires are at AutoClub.

Reactions: Pat
Yeah, its so hard to read a rule book. :rolleyes:
Here's the kicker ---
Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck 4h4 hours ago
Here is what the NASCAR rulebook says about starting the race on qual tires: "Unless otherwise stated or authorized by the Series Managing Director, the tires used during qualifying must be used to start the race." So for Cup, the change falls under "unless otherwise stated."
That's the "out" used when NASCAR needs to change on the fly.

TMack‏ @T_Mack95 · 16h16 hours ago

Everyone is feeling the pressure to perform. Pushing the limits to the max. Not enough time to roll around twice and still make qualifying. Simple as that.

ah Jones has been fast before the races a lot, but he doesn't hang in when the race is on. KDB fools around experimenting and almost always gets faster as the race wears on, because he knows which line gets faster when he wears off his tires. Qualified 2nd when he needed to be fast

yep, that OSS measures in millimeters, all it takes is a slight change and the car doesn't pass..and all of the Hendrick cars had the same thing. It wasn't any mistake IMO. They know how important tires are at AutoClub.

So now we go from cucumber cars to "tranformer" cars. LOL!

So now we go from cucumber cars to "tranformer" cars. LOL!
All of the big teams already have an OSS setup, Childress has been letting his affiliated team use theirs. All they have to do is bend a brace down or some little tweak and they fail inspection, they are that close. It was a clever move IMO, but Nascar was on it and fixed it. There is still a loophole, cars can be out of spec after the race going thru the OSS machine.

Here's the kicker ---
Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck 4h4 hours ago
Here is what the NASCAR rulebook says about starting the race on qual tires: "Unless otherwise stated or authorized by the Series Managing Director, the tires used during qualifying must be used to start the race." So for Cup, the change falls under "unless otherwise stated."
That's the "out" used when NASCAR needs to change on the fly.

Haha. I didn't know this rule literally said that, but that's good. It is problematic that they officiate this way. It is not correct as a sanctioning body to set rules for an event, start the event, not like the way the competitors are playing within the rules, and change them for the rest of the event. But again, I can't get too worked up over it, because it is well established this is what they do, and the harm isn't that significant in this event.

I thought NASCAR changed the rules? So the guys that didn’t qualify have to start on older tires? And the guys that qualified get new tires??

Haha. I didn't know this rule literally said that, but that's good. It is problematic that they officiate this way. It is not correct as a sanctioning body to set rules for an event, start the event, not like the way the competitors are playing within the rules, and change them for the rest of the event. But again, I can't get too worked up over it, because it is well established this is what they do, and the harm isn't that great in this event.

Nascar has been dealing with creative entities for a really long time.

They could write a rule that states that any team that fails to make a qualifying attempt has thus failed to qualify for the race. There wouldn't be many more cars that don't make it through the inspections after that. But they rarely solve things simply and cleanly. Gotta have that wiggle room.

They could write a rule that states that any team that fails to make a qualifying attempt has thus failed to qualify for the race. There wouldn't be many more cars that don't make it through the inspections after that. But they rarely solve things simply and cleanly. Gotta have that wiggle room.

And you will talk to the sponsors and their entourages when they don't make it :D

Back
Top Bottom