2018 Fontana - Auto Club 400 - Pre Race Thread

Why arent there multiple inspection stations?

The answer is because there would be variances in the stations.

If NASCAR cant bring more than one inspection station without them being different, how trustworthy is the laser station to begin with?

Reactions: Pat
Any new inspection process goes through growing pains. Anyone that's been a fan of NASCAR for any length of time has seen this time and time again. Not a big deal.

NASCAR did the right thing and only thing that makes sense with the tire issue. As it turns out, in TRL's post I think, NASCAR did have a rule written up as a catch all for this type of thing. Nothing shady. Nothing's changed. The rule was applied as written.

#muchadoaboutnothing

Why arent there multiple inspection stations?

The answer is because there would be variances in the stations.

If NASCAR cant bring more than one inspection station without them being different, how trustworthy is the laser station to begin with?

they already fixed the problem, didn't have any issues in Xfinity. Nobody wanted to do a drive thru for a fresh tires advantage.:p:D

Happy Harvick should change his name like this guy did.

FtrmUyVY_400x400.jpg

Harvick has a REALLY good set of scuffs if he needs them... along with the rest who bought an extra set. I'll be watching to see if anyone uses them.

Harvick has a REALLY good set of scuffs if he needs them... along with the rest who bought an extra set. I'll be watching to see if anyone uses them.

I thought it was stated that those who took the option of buying a new set had to return the set they used for qualifying. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Reactions: Pat
Do you think social media might have made Nascar quicker to react with the tire fiasco?

looking at the speed charts the hendrick cars look terrible at california. The pattern seems to continue and its the same one we saw much of last year. Chase is pretty fast, but the rest of the cars are slow. They are slow off the truck and just don't have speed. The problem is the cars are slow off the truck. They simply can't take a car that runs in the mid 20's on the speed chart and make it run top 6 or 7. This is going to start to hurt really really bad when it comes to sponsorship in the future. Granted the first few tracks are pretty unique high abrasive tracks that are very much different. Texas will be the yardstick on the 1.5 mile tracks. They are in a hole pretty bad.

some of us didn't see a fiasco in the first place. Teams trying to pull something over on Nascar to get an advantage? yeah, but it didn't work.

I thought it was stated that those who took the option of buying a new set had to return the set they used for qualifying. Sorry if I'm mistaken.
You could be right. I just never heard that was the case. I thought I heard Harvick on the broadcast mention having an extra set. He could have been mistaken too.

I think they are going to have some tire problems. Some teams are going to try to really run low pressures it looks like

You are right. I asked Bob Pockrass on Twitter. He said yes they had to turn them in.

yeah I believe they got to use them in practice though before they turned them in.

Nope. He said were not allowed to use them in practice.

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 18h18 hours ago

Correction: if you qualified today and want to start on stickers on Sunday, you must turn your qualifying tires into Goodyear (can’t practice on them Saturday). All teams 11 sets of tires for race (one on car, 10 in pits).

Nope. He said were not allowed to use them in practice.

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 18h18 hours ago

Correction: if you qualified today and want to start on stickers on Sunday, you must turn your qualifying tires into Goodyear (can’t practice on them Saturday). All teams 11 sets of tires for race (one on car, 10 in pits).
I could be wrong but that applies to sticker tires only, start on new tires I believe you could use your qualifying tires for practice, but yeah they have to turn those in. I'll try to find where I read that.

Here's the kicker ---
Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck 4h4 hours ago
Here is what the NASCAR rulebook says about starting the race on qual tires: "Unless otherwise stated or authorized by the Series Managing Director, the tires used during qualifying must be used to start the race." So for Cup, the change falls under "unless otherwise stated."
That's the "out" used when NASCAR needs to change on the fly.

I wasn't referring to the rule change. I was referring to the rules surrounding the car that the engineers, car chief, and crew chief know will be applied in pre-race inspection. In other words, the rules that they continuously and flagrantly disregard because the governing body won't drop the hammer on them to make them stop. The Teams know NASCAR won't do it so they do as they please.

Well I have starred in 1970's home movies.....and I WILL be there.
The down under series might have skerred a few folks away, that misunderstood the movie type.

I wasn't referring to the rule change. I was referring to the rules surrounding the car that the engineers, car chief, and crew chief know will be applied in pre-race inspection. In other words, the rules that they continuously and flagrantly disregard because the governing body won't drop the hammer on them to make them stop. The Teams know NASCAR won't do it so they do as they please.
Failing inspection in and of itself does not violate any rule.

You fail twice and the teams lose 15 minutes of practice time. Fail 3 times, 30 minutes of practice and per the rule book, a crew member — chosen at the discretion of NASCAR — will be ejected for failing inspection three times. 4 times and you lose another member of the crew

You fail twice and the teams lose 15 minutes of practice time. Fail 3 times, 30 minutes of practice and per the rule book, a crew member — chosen at the discretion of NASCAR — will be ejected for failing inspection three times. 4 times and you lose another member of the crew

Oh, you mean like Truex in Atlanta? Wow, NASCAR dropped the hammer (cough, cough) and...wait for it, wait for it...he finished in the top 5.

Oh, you mean like Truex in Atlanta? Wow, NASCAR dropped the hammer (cough, cough) and...wait for it, wait for it...he finished in the top 5.
Thats the reason you have pre race tech, so you can fix whats wrong. Post race is when you better have it right. Its not illegal to fail pre practice or pre qualifying unless you've messed with fuel or tires or engine.

Note: All times are ET

Sunday, March 18
3:00 p.m.: Driver Introductions
3:28 p.m.: God Bless America by: Janae Manigault
3:30 p.m.: Intro Presentation of Colors by: California Army National Guard Color Guard
3:30:15 p.m.: Invocation by: Jeff Hamilton, Official Chaplain of Auto Club Speedway
3:31 p.m.: National Anthem by: Cassadee Pope
3:37:30 p.m. “Drivers, Start Your Engines:” Bryan Derbyshire, CEO of TicketGuardian, along with wife Kristen and son Hudson
3:47 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Auto Club 400 (200 laps, 400 miles), FOX, (Canada: TSN3), (Follow live)

Press Pass (Watch live)
6:45 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race

Thats the reason you have pre race tech, so you can fix whats wrong. Post race is when you better have it right. Its not illegal to fail pre practice or pre qualifying unless you've messed with fuel or tires or engine.

Your post might lead one to think that what occurred in CA or with Truex's car didn't violate a rule. Really? They why did NASCAR impose a penalty and have to implement a new rule in CA? Oh, that's right because the Team violated rules. Also, you are splitting hairs. The teams saw what Truex did in Atlanta and decided to roll the dice knowing that NASCAR really wouldn't do much to them. In the process they made the sport and the sanctioning body look bad.

The Teams continue to wonder why they are having trouble finding companies that want to be involved in the sport. Companies have millions and possible billions of dollars tied to their brands. They don't want to be affiliated with anything that might tarnish that. When a 1/3 of your field can't get through pre-race inspection either those teams don't have personnel that can read a rule book or they are bending the rules/cheating so much that the car can't pass the inspection. So, as a company I am force to pick between merging my brand with cheaters, buffoons, or not be associated. Doesn't sound like a hard choice to me.

Your post might lead one to think that what occurred in CA or with Truex's car didn't violate a rule. Really? They why did NASCAR impose a penalty and have to implement a new rule in CA? Oh, that's right because the Team violated rules. Also, you are splitting hairs. The teams saw what Truex did in Atlanta and decided to roll the dice knowing that NASCAR really wouldn't do much to them. In the process they made the sport and the sanctioning body look bad.

The Teams continue to wonder why they are having trouble finding companies that want to be involved in the sport. Companies have millions and possible billions of dollars tied to their brands. They don't want to be affiliated with anything that might tarnish that. When a 1/3 of your field can't get through pre-race inspection either those teams don't have personnel that can read a rule book or they are bending the rules/cheating so much that the car can't pass the inspection. So, as a company I am force to pick between merging my brand with cheaters, buffoons, or not be associated. Doesn't sound like a hard choice to me.
You need to learn the difference between pre and post race penalties. You complained they didnt hit Truex hard enough, they didnt allow him to qualify and he started last but first had to pass pre race tech. What did you want them to do penalize him a lap? Come on man

You need to learn the difference between pre and post race penalties. You complained they didnt hit Truex hard enough, they didnt allow him to qualify and he started last but first had to pass pre race tech. What did you want them to do penalize him a lap? Come on man

Truex had an advantage at the start, having fresh tires. Made up all the track position in the first run.

At a track like Atlanta, fresh tires vs the field far outweighs a penalty of starting in the back.

Truex was, in a way, rewarded for that.

Logano went from 16 to the lead in a couple of laps with fresh fires in the Xfinity yesterday. Of course we have our "experts" here that differ, but Nascar made the correct call.

Truex had an advantage at the start, having fresh tires. Made up all the track position in the first run.

At a track like Atlanta, fresh tires vs the field far outweighs a penalty of starting in the back.

Truex was, in a way, rewarded for that.
Its not much of an advantage, he was gonna run up front regardless.

Syracuse-Michigan State is my priority #1 today but i'm definitely interested in the race. The Xfinity race was pretty good yesterday so I have hope for this afternoon. Plus, Martinsville is next week so I better keep tabs on the traveling circus.....

Reactions: Acs
Back
Top Bottom