2018 Martinsville - STP 500 - Pre Race Thread

I was at the track earlier, around 12:30-1:00 just driving around checking things out. I don't foresee any issues tomorrow whatsoever. Most parking areas will be fine IMO.

0QeBpaIl.jpg

I was at the track earlier, around 12:30-1:00 just driving around checking things out. I don't foresee any issues tomorrow whatsoever. Most parking areas will be fine IMO.

0QeBpaIl.jpg

If there aren't many people there then choice spots shouldn't be an issue.

0QeBpaIl.jpg

Sun helping for sure

I heard Chase Elliott and some of the others were at Applebees for lunch today. My wife and I almost went there, but went to Captain Tom's instead. Oh well.

Apparently there's been a lot of folks trying to sell or give away their tickets because they can't stay tomorrow. I saw a lot of whining on twitter, idiots demanding refunds, etc. Whatever. Personally I would NEVER go to a Sunday race unless I had no work/plans on Monday.

For folks like myself that live out of state, is it inconvenient? Perhaps. I live 7 hours away so it isn't ideal having to take a second day off of work (Tuesday) and paying for a third night at a hotel, but you certainly won't hear me complaining. In the grand scheme of things, it's just one day. Irrelevant. But for those who can't get the extra day off, yeah, it sucks. But them's the breaks.

I heard Chase Elliott and some of the others were at Applebees for lunch today. My wife and I almost went there, but went to Captain Tom's instead. Oh well.

Apparently there's been a lot of folks trying to sell or give away their tickets because they can't stay tomorrow. I saw a lot of whining on twitter, idiots demanding refunds, etc. Whatever. Personally I would NEVER go to a Sunday race unless I had no work/plans on Monday.

For folks like myself that live out of state, is it inconvenient? Perhaps. I live 7 hours away so it isn't ideal having to take a second day off of work (Tuesday) and paying for a third night at a hotel, but you certainly won't hear me complaining. In the grand scheme of things, it's just one day. Irrelevant. But for those who can't get the extra day off, yeah, it sucks. But them's the breaks.

Yeah I took Monday-Tuesday off. I like having a buffer and some extra time to relax before heading back to work. Sucks though for those who don’t have that luxury. But can’t really blame the track or NASCAR for freak weather.

They have control of not scheduling a race in Martinsville in March, buddy.
They also have one of the worst rain policy out of all the profession sports. No refunds, no exchanging, they don’t give anyone enough a time to resell their tickets, and they reschedule the races during a time not even the locals can make it. Then they wonder why only one race a year sells out.

They also have one of the worst rain policy out of all the profession sports. No refunds, no exchanging, they don’t give anyone enough a time to resell their tickets, and they reschedule the races during a time not even the locals can make it. Then they wonder why only one race a year sells out.

But the streaming ratings are through the roof and will only be higher on a Monday!

Just arrived safely back home. That was a long 7 hour drive back to PA. I could have stayed but i felt more bad luck was on its way in terms of a big mess and who knows what else tomorrow so i cut my losses. Sometimes i trust fate/signs. When it's not going well sometimes it's best to walk away than force the issue. Owell, 10 weeks until pocono....

I wonder when the first started running a rainout on Monday vs another open date on the schedule? I think I remember some back in the 90s.

I took a couple pics from my hotel room in Martinsville today. First pic was taken around 3:15ish, second pic was taken three hours later (6:15). It's drying up quick!

tAusn1hl.jpg

GPykAGWl.jpg
Does alcohol have to be involved to have a good time on this forum?

Weather..... go figure.

There’s gotta be some cheese around here to go with all the.....

You’d think this is the first time we’ve had weather related issues. Weather happens. We wait. Then we get the race in. Tomorrow’s another day except it’s a race day at Martinsville! Hell yeah!

Got to admit , its a tad tempting to jump in the truck and do the 7 hr drive.
A two-fer does not come around that often. Plus plenty of elbow room is a bonus.
Hmmmmm.

And maybe a special price on hot dogs. May have some leftovers, ya never know.

I wonder when the first started running a rainout on Monday vs another open date on the schedule? I think I remember some back in the 90s.

I seem to recall Geoff Bodine winning a Martinsville race, maybe Wilkesboro in Bud Moore's Thunderbird after a Sunday rainout. They ran it on a Monday. Not sure if that was the first though.

Geoff won back to back races in 1992 in the fall races at Wilkesboro and Martinsville. I think one of those was ran on a Monday.

My 2 cents: NASCAR should have attempted to run the race this evening. The radar shows all precipitation has moved out.

If NASCAR had decided to postpone the Summer 2015 Daytona Cup race, I would've missed it.

Was taking a short summer class, and did not have the luxury of missing two days of class. Missing one day of class to fly back was bad enough.

They won't be any good for tomorrow?

Nope. Called the ticket office and they confirmed that all pre-race fan extras including the pit passes will not be honored tomorrow because of the condensed schedule with the trucks running first. But I was told that they will honor the passes at the fall race or next year’s spring. Was possibly planning on coming back down in the fall so that might work out, but kinda lame for tomorrow.

Oh well, still excited for the doubleheader.

That's effed up!

Yeah, it’s odd. I understand a no refund policy for tickets if they reschedule the event, but now they straight up will not be providing the service I paid for and are keeping my money. Yeah I know, fine print yada yada, but still...

Thankfully i will likely attend if not in the fall then next spring and they will be useable then.

My 2 cents: NASCAR should have attempted to run the race this evening. The radar shows all precipitation has moved out.

If NASCAR had decided to postpone the Summer 2015 Daytona Cup race, I would've missed it.

Was taking a short summer class, and did not have the luxury of missing two days of class. Missing one day of class to fly back was bad enough.
Precipitation had nothing to do with it. The States resources were needed elsewhere and parking was not possible.

My uncle was actually watching the re-run of last year's race while under the impression that it was today's race. He was unaware of the snow-out. ;) You can just imagine how he felt when I told him that it was a re-run he was watching.

His reaction was priceless. "I was wondering what the hell Dale Jr. and Danica Patrick were doing back out there! It looked like the teams had told the rookies to take a flying leap!"

:XXROFL:

I guess I am the only happy camper here regarding the postponement.
1. I had a free Sunday at went to see the races at VIR.
2. The truck race starts early tomorrow. Not a lot of waiting around for the race to start.
3. The Cup race should be over early enough to get back to the hotel for dinner.
4. My truck ticket gets me in both races.
5. There should be plenty of good parking.
6. There should be plenty of leg room.
7. The line for the hot dogs should be short.
8. I am seeing a freaking double header at the best NASCAR track there is.
Works for me!

My uncle was actually watching the re-run of last year's race while under the impression that it was today's race. He was unaware of the snow-out. ;) You can just imagine how he felt when I told him that it was a re-run he was watching.

His reaction was priceless. "I was wondering what the hell Dale Jr. and Danica Patrick were doing back out there! It looked like the teams had told the rookies to take a flying leap!"

:XXROFL:
I watched the whole race again and had another laugh after the race. KDB blamed his loss to Kez on the tires. :D

I watched the whole race again and had another laugh after the race. KDB blamed his loss to Kez on the tires. :D
Well, that is always a pleasure, isn't it? :lol2:

Just another reminder that an angry Kyle is a motivated Kyle. ;)

Back
Top Bottom