2018 Martinsville - STP 500 - Pre Race Thread

Normally when tracks take seats out, they take out the less desirable ones. Why would they take out the best ones in the house?

I love the Martinsville race, it is everything right about racing imo.

But I do have some questions in my mind about how things will go Sunday. All of it centered around the long pit road that covers approximately 2/3rds of the track.
I don't remember exactly, but a green flag stop will probably cost almost 3 laps.

I love the longer green runs we are getting this year, but I wonder how it all will play out Sunday. I don't think short pitting is an option, it will cost too many laps, that can be punished by an untimely caution.
Maybe there will no full green cycles, a car on bad tires might risk a blowout verses doing a green flag stop. Then crash and at least provide the caution others desperately need as well.

I love the Martinsville race, it is everything right about racing imo.

But I do have some questions in my mind about how things will go Sunday. All of it centered around the long pit road that covers approximately 2/3rds of the track.
I don't remember exactly, but a green flag stop will probably cost almost 3 laps.

I love the longer green runs we are getting this year, but I wonder how it all will play out Sunday. I don't think short pitting is an option, it will cost too many laps, that can be punished by an untimely caution.
Maybe there will no full green cycles, a car on bad tires might risk a blowout verses doing a green flag stop. Then crash and at least provide the caution others desperately need as well.

I'm guessing along with that, it is going to depend on the Goodyear tire and the weather. I think car damage is going to be a factor also, depends on the caution trigger finger there.

Two great things to do in the area...
1. Wood Brothers racing museum in Stuart, VA.
2. Duncan classic cars and imports in Christiansburg, Va.
Both are well worth the short drive from Martinsville

I checked the weather and the latest according to Weather.com is low 40s with a 80% chance of showers. Obviously that can change and I hope like hell it does. Weather.com currently has one of the most pessimistic forecasts I've ever seen. Starting Saturday they have 10 straight days with a 50% chance or better of rain. Monday, 3/26, rain/snow.

Accuweather has a considerably better outlook in terms of precipitation but still high temps in the low 40s.

If it's going to be in the low to mid 40s they're going to be laying down some serious horsepower right? I have to believe getting good launch/bite out of the corners will be especially important.

Last edited:
Looks like there are a bunch of racing-forums.com members heading to the track this weekend. I've put together a little entertainment guide for you in case your looking to get together for a memorable weekend.....

RESTAURANTS
From the Henry County Tourism site: Click here
Breakin' Bread Café 10 E. Church St. Martinsville, VA 24112 276-656-0414
Captains Toms Seafood 2615 Greensboro Rd. Martinsville, VA 24112 276-666-0326
China Express Restaurant 410 John Redd Blvd Martinsville, VA 24112 276-647-4660
D & A Café 1221 Memorial Blvd. Martinsville, VA 24112 276-632-1820
Domino's Pizza Martinsville, VA 24115 276-632-1811
Duffers Bar & Grill Martinsville, VA 24115 276-632-3837
Litehouse Café Martinsville, VA 24114 276-632-7044
McDonald's Collinsville, VA 24078 276-638-4343

BARS
Wild Magnolias 730 East Church Street Martinsville
5.8 Peter's Lounge Patrick Henry Mall, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 632-6429
6.9 Texas Steakhouse 283 Commonwealth Blvd West, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 632-7133
8.1 Michaels Steak & More 2089 Virginia Avenue, Collinsville, VA 24078 (276) 647-3720

LIQUOR STORES
tp.gif

2777 Greensboro Road Martinsville, Virginia 24112 276-632-0905
243 COMMONWEALTH BLVD. MARTINSVILLE, Virginia 24112 276-638-2830
6.6 Peter's Lounge Patrick Henry Mall, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 632-6429
10.63 ABC Store No 1 318 North Pierce Street, Eden, NC 27288 (336) 627-8300
15.52 ABC Store 216 West Academy Street, Madison, NC 27025 (336) 427-0440
21.1 ABC Store 337 South Scales Street, Reidsville, NC 27320 (336) 349-6000

TATTOO PARLOR
3.2 Poison Apple Tattoos 933 Starling Ave, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 638-4017 or (336) 616-1445
2.8 Taboo Body Piercing 1502 Greensboro Road, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 666-9505
3.5 Looking Glass Ink Tattoo Highway 58 East, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 638-7099
4.1 Totally Naked Tattoos 1031 East Church Street, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 634-0002

BAIL BONDS
3.5 A Bail Bonds Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 632-5400
4.1 Hazelwood Bail Bonding Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 656-6200
4.1 Millner Tony L Jr 109 Jones Street, Martinsville, VA 24112 (276) 632-3799
You win the post of the day, and you do have something of a sense humor:D;):D

YAY!!, doing some short track racing..............we can call this a short track right ? :lol2::lol2:

well damn how the hell the weather change so fast??? it was showing in the 50's a few days ago with no rain. now its low 40's with rain geesh.. i need my money back!

Two great things to do in the area...
1. Wood Brothers racing museum in Stuart, VA.
2. Duncan classic cars and imports in Christiansburg, Va.
Both are well worth the short drive from Martinsville
NC Museum of Natural History is right there in town. It's a great way to fill in a rainy afternoon.

well damn how the hell the weather change so fast??? it was showing in the 50's a few days ago with no rain. now its low 40's with rain geesh.. i need my money back!
Depends on whose forecast you look at. NWS is calling for 49 and 40%.

How did it happen? The cold front that's pushing through today.

I'm not a meteorologist. I don't play one on TV. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Wait for Thursday's forecast. The 72- to 96-hour predictions are usually pretty close.
damn it was just a question . why everything on here have to be a smart ass remark? thanks for letting me know all those things though. i wont ask u anything else

no my sense of humor is good. he always have smart ass remarks . i tried talking to him or her but its always something smart
It looked like just a funny remark too me. Lighten up a little, it's only Tuesday. The weather will play out in it's normal unpredictable manner. All's good. We'll be racing @ Martinsville one way or another.

hahaha do they even have those in martinsville?? is it any hiking i can do there ? i would love to go before the race
Another great place for hiking around that area is Goose Point on the west side of Philpott Lake. That's that camping location of choice for my wife and I. It is way off of the beaten path. About a 6 mile drive off of Rt. 57 northwest of Martinsville. Around 35 minutes from the track. There are trails all around the lake.

Another place is Salthouse Branch, on the east side of the lake. It's closer to the track. Just west of Henry Virginia.

We always take a weeks vacation wrapped around that weekend. Hiking/kayaking/golf/camping, etc.....

Another great place for hiking around that area is Goose Point on the west side of Philpott Lake. That's that camping location of choice for my wife and I. It is way off of the beaten path. About a 6 mile drive off of Rt. 57 northwest of Martinsville. Around 35 minutes from the track. There are trails all around the lake.

Another place is Salthouse Branch, on the east side of the lake. It's closer to the track. Just west of Henry Virginia.

We always take a weeks vacation wrapped around that weekend. Hiking/kayaking/golf/camping, etc.....
thank you for all the great info!

I'm not a meteorologist. I don't play one on TV. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Wait for Thursday's forecast. The 72- to 96-hour predictions are usually pretty close.
damn it was just a question . why everything on here have to be a smart ass remark? thanks for letting me know all those things though. i wont ask u anything else

He was making a joke using 2 very old commercials from TV.

Dude, is this the only forum you're on? EVERYTHING on the Internet is a smart ass remark.

I gave that response because I didn't understand why you were asking me what I thought the weather would do. I meant the first sentence literally - I'm not a meteorologist. My opinion of what's going to happen ain't worth squat; that's been demonstrated here multiple times.

People have mentioned three different weather resources in the last dozen or so posts. Weather.com , AccuWeather, National Weather Service. Check any or all of them for yourself. You'll get more accurate results than asking a random stranger in a forum what's going to happen.

Dude, is this the only forum you're on? EVERYTHING on the Internet is a smart ass remark.

I gave that response because I didn't understand why you were asking me what I thought the weather would do. I meant the first sentence literally - I'm not a meteorologist. My opinion of what's going to happen ain't worth squat; that's been demonstrated here multiple times.

People have mentioned three different weather resources in the last dozen or so posts. Weather.com , AccuWeather, National Weather Service. Check any or all of them for yourself. You'll get more accurate results than asking a random stranger in a forum what's going to happen.
And here I was relying on your forecast to plan my weekend. I find myself somewhat disappointed.

its all good bro

We have been using this method for years to determine the weather and it has never failed us.
942280_476922592379612_1935483423_n.jpg
I have a large piece of quartz I brought back from the US Army's National Training Center, adjacent to Death Valley. It was my team's 'Weather Rock', and rode around in and on our personnel carrier.

Your taxpayer dollars at work.

Really? snow?
Martinsville Speedway.
Sunday 03/25 60% / < 1 in

Cloudy with a mixture of rain and snow in the morning. High near 45F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%

Really? snow?
Martinsville Speedway.
Sunday 03/25 60% / < 1 in

Cloudy with a mixture of rain and snow in the morning. High near 45F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%
You seem surprised. Several of us here have sat out snow delays in the early part of the season.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom