2018 Martinsville - STP 500 - Pre Race Thread

Depending on whose forecast you look at, it already has. NWS has 47 and 30%, but over the last two days that's varied between 60% and no mention of precip at all.

NWS by far has the most optimistic outlook. Accuweather and weather.com still has an ugly forecast. Thankfully it's only Tuesday. By Thursday night, Friday morning there should be a better idea.

Wait..... Very old????? Let's maybe rephrase that to commercials from not all that long ago that you may not recognize. I already feel old enough. Very old sounds even older.

I'm 23, and I remember those Holiday Inn Express commercials.

Well, at least a few of them. There are a few on YouTube I've never seen before.

We have been using this method for years to determine the weather and it has never failed us.
942280_476922592379612_1935483423_n.jpg

Can that "Redneck Weather Rope" predict the future?

Didn't think so. :)

So what do they do if there's snow on the track...? Can't really plow it because it's got to go somewhere (ie, not near the inside or outside walls).

So what do they do if there's snow on the track...? Can't really plow it because it's got to go somewhere (ie, not near the inside or outside walls).
It doesn't look like it's even laying on the roads that are in that pic. It's supposed to hit somewhere around 45 today in the Martinsville area. That dusting will be history in short order. There's also two days ahead in the 50's.

Martinsville Speedway Hauler Parade Set For Return On Friday, March 23

Before the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series cars take to Martinsville Speedway for the STP 500, the haulers transporting the cars will take to US 220 for the annual Martinsville Speedway Hauler Parade.

On Friday, the haulers will start at the city limits at the intersection of Memorial Boulevard and DuPont Road and drive down 220 South to the Speedway, giving fans the opportunity to cheer for their favorite car along the route. The parade will start around 6 p.m.

"This is something the fans have seemed to really enjoy. It's a fun way to kick off race weekend," Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell said. "We've been able to make it an annual thing and I think it's great to always be able to add to race weekend.

"I love seeing how excited the fans get when race weekend starts, especially the kids who love to watch the haulers come in, and this will give people a chance to feel that excitement before the trucks even arrive at the track."

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018...dway-hauler-parade-set-return-friday-march-23

I just noticed on the schedule that they went old school (in a way) with on track activities after the truck race on Saturday. I always liked going to a Busch or Truck race on Saturday then staying for the final cup practice. It weeded out some of the traffic and provided a nice relaxing extension of the day. I see cup Q is after the truck race. I like it! Now, if we can get mom nature to cooperate.

NWS by far has the most optimistic outlook. Accuweather and weather.com still has an ugly forecast. Thankfully it's only Tuesday. By Thursday night, Friday morning there should be a better idea.

NWS rarely goes "all-in" on rain though. I'm going to South Boston Saturday night and am VERY concerned about the forecast.

Noon NWS has 50% Saturday, 60% Sat night (sorry, SoBo), and down to 30% Sunday. And if you make plans based on that, I wish you the best of luck.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/fairy-stone#general_information
Looks like it's about 20 minutes northwest of town. The trail map shows several routes, most of them rated moderate or difficult.
Stayed at the rental cabins in the Reserve at Fairystone which is just outside the park gates. Beautiful in the fall. Easy drive to restaurants in Bassett and to the race.
Another great place for hiking around that area is Goose Point on the west side of Philpott Lake. That's that camping location of choice for my wife and I. It is way off of the beaten path. About a 6 mile drive off of Rt. 57 northwest of Martinsville. Around 35 minutes from the track. There are trails all around the lake.
Another place is Salthouse Branch, on the east side of the lake. It's closer to the track. Just west of Henry Virginia.
We always take a weeks vacation wrapped around that weekend. Hiking/kayaking/golf/camping, etc.....
The dam is pretty neat too if you're into that kind of thing.
35 years ago today, Race Winner, Sam Ard leads Morgan Shepherd & Tommy Ellis during the 1983 Miller Time 250 @ Martinsville.
DYrzvrkU8AA6Wtd.jpg:large
Morgan Shepherd was only 60 then....

Never thought I'd be leaving upstate NY for Virginia and end up being colder :mad:

Seriously!! I live just north of Scranton, PA and we missed the storm completely yesterday because it stayed south! From about Pocono Raceway on down it was a disaster with a foot or more of snow. It's suppose to be sunny up here all weekend. But I'll be heading down 81 to Roanoke Saturday morning (as long as the forecast stays hopeful) to just a whole lot of yuck! Fingers seriously crossed they get it in!

Right now, about the only good thing I can see about the current forecast is that it's looking more and more like a double-header on Sunday. Probably Cup first, with Trucks under the lights?

They really need to run this race a little later in the spring. Martinsville's been extremely lucky not to get snowed out yet. They've missed a few snowstorms by a matter of hours several times.

Back
Top Bottom