2019 ABC Supply 500

Ominous looking. Hopefully everyone stays safe. It's a line of storms so it's going to hit. Still a little ways away....

Wow. Power has a hell of a car and the motivation to match. I want to see that win streak live on.

I don't know how the hell the #12 made that work so well, but glad to see another in the mix at the front.

Power looking like he was shot out of a rocket. Dude is flying away!

I have to think a final lap # is in mind...

It is right at the edge caution

Really long commercial break....caution

Ugh...they knew lighting was coming. I wish they just set a known distance 20 minutes ago. This race is done...

This was posted, and the reaction hasn't been pretty. My take is that I'm torn, but Wickens certainly has had more "skin in the game" than random tough talking fans, and is more than allowed to feel this way.

This was posted, and the reaction hasn't been pretty. My take is that I'm torn, but Wickens certainly has had more "skin in the game" than random tough talking fans, and is more than allowed to feel this way.

Other than a terrible decision by Sato is was a pretty clean race. A couple of "hard hits" but nothing I would deem dangerous. Maybe take a year or two off? There's demand for an IndyCar race at Pocono. The drivers need to respect Indy, Pocono, Michigan and Fontana should they continue to run at those type of tracks. They're obviously not leaving Indy....

Other than a terrible decision by Sato is was a pretty clean race. A couple of "hard hits" but nothing I would deem dangerous. Maybe take a year or two off? There's demand for an IndyCar race at Pocono. The drivers need to respect Indy, Pocono, Michigan and Fontana should they continue to run there.

Good points. Personally I'd rather seem them go to all single file starts and other measures intended to spread the field out more quickly than do away with large ovals entirely. But I understand why Wickens and others feel this way.

Other than a terrible decision by Sato is was a pretty clean race. A couple of "hard hits" but nothing I would deem dangerous. Maybe take a year or two off? There's demand for an IndyCar race at Pocono. The drivers need to respect Indy, Pocono, Michigan and Fontana should they continue to run there.
Yeah we’ve gotten lucky at Fontana and IMS plenty of times recently. Pocono just has the recency effect, and the Wilson incident was a freak happening. But it’s certainly dangerous and you have to balance the crowd and TV impact and see if it’s really worth it. I’d like to see it stay but get why some don’t. The drivers definitely have to treat the track and themselves with more respect though. IndyCar on superspeedways is inherently dangerous but a lot of the truly bad stuff is due to avoidable contact. Incredibly, the rookie who was a hothead in Europe (Ferrucci) seems to grasp this a lot better than many.

No way we restart
FB_IMG_1566164745510.jpg

Wind whipping now

Harsh.

Bet you this was a reaction of the moment. He probably regrets clicking “send tweet” but at the same time he has beef with the track that probably ended his racing career.

Kinda disappointing this place didn’t really get a fair shake this weekend. Ticket sales were reportedly good but most everything else was a downer. I am at least glad there were no serious injuries.

Power looked to be the best car so I’m cool with the winner. Nice to see that streak live to see another year too.

As I sit here in my car scrolling through Twitter seeing all Indy drivers a lot of whom are too scared to drive ovals anyway whine and say don't race here anymore I just have to wonder why they aren't blaming drivers for dumb moves, they all know not to run 3 wide into turn 1 at Indy but think they can into the tunnel turn at Pocono. I say an awful argument from Max Chilton saying because its 3 turns that makes it less safe. Just pisses me off, it the only Indycar race in a reasonable driving distance and it's going to go away because of stupidity. I want this race to stay but I know it won't because IndyCar is so assbackwards on what they should be doing. Sorry for ranting it's just frustrating. Anyway #Pocono2020

As I sit here in my car scrolling through Twitter seeing all Indy drivers a lot of whom are too scared to drive ovals anyway whine and say don't race here anymore I just have to wonder why they aren't blaming drivers for dumb moves, they all know not to run 3 wide into turn 1 at Indy but think they can into the tunnel turn at Pocono. I say an awful argument from Max Chilton saying because its 3 turns that makes it less safe. Just pisses me off, it the only Indycar race in a reasonable driving distance and it's going to go away because of stupidity. I want this race to stay but I know it won't because IndyCar is so assbackwards on what they should be doing. Sorry for ranting it's just frustrating. Anyway #Pocono2020

I hear ya! I love Pocono and the history it represents. Maybe take a year or two off, get the drivers back on their heels? Being comfortable at these tracks isn't a good thing. Perhaps make a safety improvement or two (Pocono has been proactive in recent years)? The demand will absolutely be there. People love to go to Pocono. The track has a cult like following. Pocono and Watkins Glen are the destination tracks in the Northeast. They move the needle. I think IndyCar would be foolish to walk away from the facility completely.

These comments from Power and Dixon are consistent with what they said earlier in the week here. Rahal has also been a pretty loud proponent of Pocono recently. In fairness to a lot of the guys vocal for the other side on Twitter, many of them have personally been affected by the track recently - Sage Karam, Stefan Wilson, Robert Wickens, etc. It's not anything easy to debate, for sure.

Sato’s move was bad enough by itself. Trying to shift blame makes it worse. I’d be okay with a benching next week.

I've watched that accident multiple times from many angles. Its a racing incident, I think folks think Sato turned down into Rossi. He didn't, Sato's wheel was straight and he did not turn into him. Sato is seen as a scapegoat more times than not for accidents.

He had a run on Rossi and the mistake was trying to go through the tunnel turn three wide. Yet, if you look closely from Rahal's POV, RHR kind of turns to the right some squeezing Rossi. Then causing Rossi to kind of float to the right some collecting Sato and everyone else. Rossi got off to a bad start, it happens, but I think this can be considered a racing incident. Still, Sato's reputation kind of makes him an easy target. Sato would have completed the pass before the tunnel turn, but its just a bad racing incident more than anything else. A little more patience shown by all and not trying to get everything on lap 1. I like this crop of drivers, after losing Wilson and Wickens getting hurt has really tarnished the reputation Pocono had for IndyCar.

The race was fairly clean from then on. Pocono should not go anywhere, it should continue to be on the calendar. Adding Richmond and maybe like a Homestead, Fontana, or even Michigan would balance the schedule.

I could not agree any more than I do with Wickens

Back
Top Bottom