2019 Atlanta-- Pre-Race Thread

After qualifying, he said they were having power steering problems. Hell, he only ran two relatively slow laps in the first practice because of it. He also said they changed everything in the power steering before qualifiying and the issue is still there. It had something to do with being able to turn right. He was not a happy camper.

No what happened was I picked him to win in @pjmolo game, subsequently cursing him for the weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that dude messed up. No one should be on the wrong side of the wall
when the track/pit goes hot. That was a close call. I'd say about 5 feet.

Hmm I'm fairly certain that official is usually out there in the p1 box (for what I do not know). I feel like there might have been another guy out there too but can't remember without seeing a replay.

I don't think it's kosher to be ripping down pit road and throwing blocks, just for that reason. It was way too close for comfort, definitely.

Im looking forward to seeing if the 22 can get up front quick with the draft.. had decent speed in practice just got loose on his first q lap and couldn't make up the time after putting a lap on the tires.

This is not a good track for any indication of what this package will be. With the crazy tire wear they will not be able to keep it wide-open, except maybe on the restarts. I expect to see similar racing that we've seen from past Atlanta races. It's too much of a driver's track with that worn-out surface.

Charlotte, Kansas, Las Vegas, Texas- all the fast and smooth 1.5 milers will be where this drafting package really comes into play as they'll be on throttle a LOT more.
That and they're not using all the new rules this weekend. Should be interesting.

McMurray and McReynolds should be shot for not knowing Paul McCartney is the singer of Hey Jude
The one who should be shot is whoever thought that ridiculous segment belonged in a pre-race show, or any sports show for that matter. It just reminded me why I rarely watch these. I should have switched to golf between practice and the X race.

Very small sample size I know, but this already feels like first 2/3 of last year. SHR dominant and Hendrick is out to lunch.

I'd say that SHR is the best team in NASCAR from top to bottom. Putting plates on the cars might make that even more obvious. I wouldn't bet against Rodney Childers.

Anyone know how much practice time Kyle Busch had in the backup car, or any single- or 10-lap speeds for him in it? Obviously the speeds in the primary car are pointless, NASCAR.com.

D0KOF2TUcAAZCSz.jpg:large

Hendrick is going to continue being a 2nd rate organization until they get better talent like a Larson or even a Hamlin. I'm sorry, but I think Jimmie is washed, and Byron & Bowman are good drivers, but I'm not sure are great fits at getting a car up to speed when the car clearly isn't top tier anymore.

They need a prime veteran driver.

Here at the track. For me it just seems right to take the backroads to the track. Going to Atlanta early in the morning you can see the horses out in pasture, the dogwoods in bloom, and an occasional pickup truck passing by giving you the steering wheel finger waive made famous by country and mountain folk. For a moment, at least, all is right in the world. Looks like a great day for a race!

Here at the track. For me it just seems right to take the backroads to the track. Going to Atlanta early in the morning you can see the horses out in pasture, the dogwoods in bloom, and an occasional pickup truck passing by giving you the steering wheel finger waive made famous by country and mountain folk. For a moment, at least, all is right in the world. Looks like a great day for a race!
Those things are some of the perks of traveling the back roads all over the country like we do every year. We really enjoy it.

Anyone know how much practice time Kyle Busch had in the backup car, or any single- or 10-lap speeds for him in it? Obviously the speeds in the primary car are pointless, NASCAR.com.
Best 10 Consecutive Lap Average

Pos Car Driver From Lap To Lap Avg Speed
1 18 Kyle Busch 1 10 177.302
2 42 Kyle Larson 33 42 176.534
3 19 Martin Truex Jr. 2 11 176.115
4 4 Kevin Harvick 1 10 176.098
5 8 Daniel Hemric # 1 10 175.887
6 88 Alex Bowman 1 10 175.698
7 17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 14 23 175.605
8 24 William Byron 1 10 175.579
9 22 Joey Logano 10 19 175.576
10 10 Aric Almirola 37 46 175.503
11 11 Denny Hamlin 25 34 175.398
12 1 Kurt Busch 40 49 175.340
13 48 Jimmie Johnson 1 10 175.131
14 12 Ryan Blaney 15 24 175.038
15 95 Matt DiBenedetto 36 45 175.006
16 6 Ryan Newman 18 27 174.997
17 9 Chase Elliott 54 63 174.996
18 41 Daniel Suarez 22 31 174.974
19 3 Austin Dillon 40 49 174.836
20 21 Paul Menard 41 50 174.483
21 47 Ryan Preece # 1 10 174.480
22 37 Chris Buescher 27 36 174.453
23 2 Brad Keslowski 20 29 174.402
24 38 David Ragan 1 10 174.231
25 96 Parker Kligerman 21 30 173.282
26 32 Corey LaJoie 20 29 172.857
27 43 Bubba Wallace 26 35 172.742
28 34 Michael McDowell 20 29 172.629
29 13 Ty Dillon 37 46 170.303
30 00 Landon Cassill 22 31 170.016

Oh, and how about who's going to the back?

:espnsux:

I'll take this to say Kyle Busch is the only car to the rear today.

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass
Rain has passed thru. #NASCAR already drying track. Natl Weather Service says less than 5% chance rain after 9am. High 65 at around time race starts. Green flag scheduled for 2:16pm ET. FS1 coverage starts at 12:30, moves to FOX at 1:30. Stages 85-85-155. KyBusch (backup) to rear

Huh lol

I don't know what we have to do to make everybody happy and/or bring new fans in, but I can't help thinking that I am not explaining things correctly to all of those concerned because I absolutely live for this sport. It is so damn cool to wake up early on a Sunday morning and get ready for a race. This sport is so damn awesome. I love it. Just love the hell out of it. I just needed to post that. Have a great race day everybody!

Hendrick is going to continue being a 2nd rate organization until they get better talent like a Larson or even a Hamlin. I'm sorry, but I think Jimmie is washed, and Byron & Bowman are good drivers, but I'm not sure are great fits at getting a car up to speed when the car clearly isn't top tier anymore.

They need a prime veteran driver.

Loooool Byron is one of the best young talents, and chase will probably pass Larson in wins this year

Chase is fine as a driver. Bowman is solid I'm mixed on Greg Ives, Byron hasn't proven anything, and I do think Jimmie has lost a step.

I don't know what we have to do to make everybody happy and/or bring new fans in, but I can't help thinking that I am not explaining things correctly to all of those concerned because I absolutely live for this sport. It is so damn cool to wake up early on a Sunday morning and get ready for a race. This sport is so damn awesome. I love it. Just love the hell out of it. I just needed to post that. Have a great race day everybody!
I hear you buddy.. my favorite day of the week is race day

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass

There is still a wind advisory for sustained winds of 15-25mph and gusts up to 35mph here in Atlanta.

I'm about 50 miles North of the track and the Atlanta weather (here at least) is absolutely perfect. Robin's egg blue sky with a few white fluffy things - breezy but so warm I have my windows open.

Looks like the Atlanta race fans finally caught a break.

Back
Top Bottom