2019 Monster Energy Supercross

That race told The Eli Tomac Story better than anything. And Webb is just the opposite, never has faltered.
Yeah, the 2019 season in microcosm. Gnomesayin, I think you commented in another thread that A J Allmendinger added a lot to the broadcast, and I certainly agree. He was excellent.

Cooper Webb needs just 20th place next week to clinch. He should probably refrain from mixing it up at the front. His campaign has been an impressive one. While Tomac has looked great at times, he has also amassed a pile of coulda, woulda, and shoulda.

This track was gnarly by the time the main event started. The mistakes all the top guys had (except Webb) indicates how difficult SX is when you try to go fast.

That's a damn shame for Forkner, what an effort.

Agreed. I could not respect Forkner more. I refer to the supercross racers as warriors more than all others combined. They are a different breed. Genuine throwbacks to the 60's.

Forkners rugged effort, Tomac's speed when he is in his zone, Webb's abilty to survive and still win often. They all are great stories for anyone paying attention.

It will be interesting to see how Webb does outdoors. Generally his apparent lack of pure pace would suggest he can't perform like this in the Nationals. But every week he qualifies somewhat unimpressively, then is one of the two or three absolute fastest as the main wears on. His great starts have been huge, and his stamina and conditioning are second to none, which should be an advantage.

Does Tomac shake the constant "feel" issues he talks about and resume being the dominant rider?

Osborne looks to be coming in to his own at just the right time to be a factor for the MX series.

I wonder if Roczen has eased up in the last couple weeks and is not pushing it as hard once out of title contention, or if he is genuinely off-pace.

It will be interesting to see how Webb does outdoors. Generally his apparent lack of pure pace would suggest he can't perform like this in the Nationals. But every week he qualifies somewhat unimpressively, then is one of the two or three absolute fastest as the main wears on. His great starts have been huge, and his stamina and conditioning are second to none, which should be an advantage.

Does Tomac shake the constant "feel" issues he talks about and resume being the dominant rider?

Osborne looks to be coming in to his own at just the right time to be a factor for the MX series.

I wonder if Roczen has eased up in the last couple weeks and is not pushing it as hard once out of title contention, or if he is genuinely off-pace.
When is Anderson coming back?

I was pretty sure the 450 class would be anticlimactic, and it was. I'm glad the ugliness of two years ago was not reprieved. Great night for Tomac. Great year for Webb.

It was a poor year for the 250's, sadly lacking in depth of quality competitors. Adam Cianciarulo and Austin Forkner stood out, but both got 'shafted' by circumstances. Dylan Ferrandis was also worthy... congrats to him. No one else was very convincing this year, IMO.

On to the outdoor season. Supercross is the championship with the most prestige, the most money, the title everyone wants. But outdoors we have better courses and better racing, IMO.

I've heard the KTM factory wanted to bring FIM 450 MX champion Jeffrey Herlings over for the outdoor season, after he missed the early rounds of the FIM season with a leg injury. Apparently Roger De Coster argued against the idea, saying KTM has a strong team in place with Webb and Musquin. The classic argument... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I understand Herlings will remain on the world circuit rather than the AMA series after all.

Webb put together a remarkable season and rode with great savvy and consistency against strong competition. Very impressive. I can't stand him personally. His answer to this question in the press conference encapsulates why:

I agree this was a down year for the 250 classes. The increased depth at the beginning of the season in the 450s was because of Osborne, Savagty, etc. moving up. There were only 2-3 serious front runners in each 250 division. I wouldn't say the Cianciarulo got shafted by freak circumstances as much as Forkner. He seemed much more prone to mistakes throughout. Ferrandis got better through the year and should be a strong favorite next year as well.

That is very interesting about Herlings. That would have been awesome to see him going head to head with the other fastest guy in the world, Tomac. But I would absolutely give the edge to Herlings due to Tomac's inconsistency. I can see why De Coster wouldn't have been a fan of that sort of disruption to the team, especially if it would have displaced either Webb or Musquin.

I'm looking forward to outdoor season too, will be cool to see them in person at Washougal.

Interesting topsy turvey year for the 250's. Looking forward to see CianC'c and Forkners comebacks
next year. Personally I think those two should go ahead and jump in 450's if possible and be done with it.
One thing I am proud about Tomac this year was no DNF's. (and of course his 6 wins) Those crushed his years in the past.
Webb could very possibly be the new goat for a long time if he stays healthy. It was an entertaining year . I will
try and keep up with the outdoor this year. I really enjoyed watching James Stewarts outdoor races but kinda
lost interest when he left.

so is supercross only going to be nbc gold for 75.00 dollars.no nbcsn on tv??????

Back
Top Bottom